New Motherboard and Proccy - suggestions please!

OP
K

kageiit

Broken In
Ok so now im officially freaked out. will the PSU blow up for real? , I mean i had a CM exterme 460W when i bought my 9600gt and it worked fine for one year then due to a power surge , my spike burnt along with my CM 460w . So i got the 500w one recently about 3 months ago. I havnt faced any issues after that and I have gamed quite well using that PSU. My only concern is will it be able to power the new processor also . I dont wanna change the PSU unless it might blow up seriously and damage all my parts in future . any suggestions?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
guys have a look at the screenshot below & please tell me whats the total power output on the various rails:

*i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/juntax1908/DSC02244.jpg

as seen its a FSP Saga II 400W thats quite famous here. so want to know if its rally a good one.

also its 12V rail is divided into 2 parts? its good or bad compared to a single 12V rail?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Sam.Shab,
multiple 12 V rail is used for stabiliy. If you provide too much current (normally over 25A) to a single rail,it may generate significant amount of heat which leads to less life time of that PSU, unless very high level components are used.
So for budget or Mid range PSU, instead of providing a single 12V rail, multiple 12V rails are provided, one of them is having rating over or near 20A and other one is like 15 to 20A.
Theoretically total wattage should be [(1st 12V X Current Rating of it)+( 2nd 12V X Current Rating of it)], but practically it stays within +/-8% of the total Wattage. The problem is, it not possible to distribute the load identically to different 12V rails properly.
But it is observed that multiple 12V rail is good for the lifespan of the PSU.

pulsar_swift

Youngling
Sam.Shab,
multiple 12 V rail is used for stabiliy. If you provide too much current (normally over 25A) to a single rail,it may generate significant amount of heat which leads to less life time of that PSU, unless very high level components are used.
So for budget or Mid range PSU, instead of providing a single 12V rail, multiple 12V rails are provided, one of them is having rating over or near 20A and other one is like 15 to 20A.
Theoretically total wattage should be [(1st 12V X Current Rating of it)+( 2nd 12V X Current Rating of it)], but practically it stays within +/-8% of the total Wattage. The problem is, it not possible to distribute the load identically to different 12V rails properly.
But it is observed that multiple 12V rail is good for the lifespan of the PSU.

All corsair PSUs starting from Vx450 till TX850 have single 12V rail config. All of them come with 5yr warranty.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Nice post Asigh.
Ya, that is true, the main problem with multiple 12V rails is that in run time it is not possible to distribute the load proportionately to the 12 V rails as per their current rating.
So using a single 12V rail with large current rating is always good. But for this you need very good component also (with minimal resistance for minimizing power loss and heat generation).
So for Mid range CPUs which are normally used with not so high configured System, a multiple 12V rail is a good option as most of the times their power requirement does not reach to a point where they can fetch more than 20A from one of the 12V rail, having low current rating. It is good for these middle range of PSUs as they don't use very high quality components. It is also mentioned in Wikipedia.

OP
K

kageiit

Broken In
So here is what i decided to go with finally:

Processor: Phenom II X4 955 3.2 Ghz. Black Edition - 7.8k

Motherboard: Biostar TA890GXE - 6.2k

RAM: 2 x G-Skill Ripjaws 2GB DDR3 1600 MHz Dual Channel Gaming Memory CL9 (4GB Kit) - 5k (getting via friend from Canada from newegg)

PSU: will stick with what I have now (CM Extreme 500W) , but planning to upgrade in few months to Corsair VX450 W , when I can get me some cash :lol:

Total: 19k (all prices including taxes) , will purchase next week :))

Any comments? I hope I made the right decisions, and thank you all for helping me all the way :)

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
So here is what i decided to go with finally:

Motherboard: Biostar TA890GXE - 6.2k

RAM: 2 x G-Skill Ripjaws 2GB DDR3 1333 MHz Dual Channel Gaming Memory CL9 (4GB Kit) - 5k (getting via friend from Canada from newegg)

PSU: will stick with what I have now (CM Extreme 500W) , but planning to upgrade in few months to Corsair VX450 W , when I can get me some cash :lol:

Total: 19k (all prices including taxes) , will purchase next week :))

Any comments? I hope I made the right decisions, and thank you all for helping me all the way :)

an 870X or 880G board from MSI will give you USB 3.0 also @ same price. or maybe lower price. do consider it.

OP
K

kageiit

Broken In
My budget got upgraded a bit to 25 k so here is the final config

Motherboard: MSI 890GXM-G65 - 7.8k

RAM: 2 x G-Skill Ripjaws 2GB DDR3 1600 MHz Dual Channel Gaming Memory CL9 (4GB Kit) - 5k (getting via friend from Canada from newegg)

PSU: Corsair VX450 - 4k

Total: 24.6k (all prices including taxes) , will purchase this weekend

any suggestions/improvements or is this fine?

pulsar_swift

Youngling
i have my reservations about 955BE stock HSF. One more user reported about high sound/noise. 965BE or X6 1055T should be better.

OP
K

kageiit

Broken In
any suggestions for a good budget case to go with all those new parts? (will get the case a bit later)

Top Bottom