Need to buy me my first bike! Need quick views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie012

Earthling
If you are looking for Avenger then better opt for Avenger cruise 220( not street) as Street 150 & 220 doesn't have kick start.

Also many other models in your list mighn't have kickstart option* only self start*

Bikes without any kickstart are a major hassle specially during winters when your self start won't work and you'll have to run and start your bike.

Hrishi

If you are looking for Avenger then better opt for Avenger cruise 220( not street) as Street 150 & 220 doesn't have kick start.

Also many other models in your list mighn't have kickstart option* only self start*

Bikes without any kickstart are a major hassle specially during winters when your self start won't work and you'll have to run and start your bike.
I own a Street 220, and I counter your statement. I haven't faced a single instance of self issue, ever.
If you maintain your ride well, it will treat you well.

And No, Avenger isn't a toy bike. It may feel or look like a toy bike, but trust me it will take a very skilled person to steer that bike through a narrow or crowded street. Good luck in traffic lol.
It's actually not meant for newbies at all, IMO. Particularly because it has a different style of riding. The braking is entirely different and needs lot of learning, the turning radius, handle rakes, balancing etc etc. Besides, It's a cruiser and not your regular street bike.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Hrishi

@Vyom read the last one year posts What Bike?
Be more specific of your requirement
  • Intended usage (e.g. Office/College commute, Highway runs)
  • City & Highway percentage usage
  • Approximate Daily / Monthly running
My Suggestion :
Just buy an old 150 cc bike (preferably Bajaj as the prices are low for resale) as your current skill level is not even shifting gears properly, so you will no doubt screw the clutch. Apply, practice and obtain the licence first.
Learn to counter steer and do correct braking (necessary). @Nerevarine is absolutely right. Learn technique first and increase your capacity of bike.

Add helmet and protective gear to your budget.

Ride Safe.
I agree with this. Spend some time with a used bike, and learn to ride properly. Just, FYI - riding in traffic of Delhi/NCR can get difficult at times. Needs some skill to ride through the streets and traffic.

Ronnie012

Earthling
I own a Street 220, and I counter your statement. I haven't faced a single instance of self issue, ever.
If you maintain your ride well, it will treat you well.

And No, Avenger isn't a toy bike. It may feel or look like a toy bike, but trust me it will take a very skilled person to steer that bike through a narrow or crowded street. Good luck in traffic lol.
It's actually not meant for newbies at all, IMO. Particularly because it has a different style of riding. The braking is entirely different and needs lot of learning, the turning radius, handle rakes, balancing etc etc. Besides, It's a cruiser and not your regular street bike.

Don't own Avenger so can't comment much. But as per my knowledge (and this is for kickless bikes in general and not avenger in particular) the lack of kick start issue arises once the bike gets old say 2-3 years. Or it might arise right after purchase if one fails to start the bike regularly specially during winters. Push starting the bike is a real hassle and not recommended(Speaking from personal experience.)

I am quite surprised when you said you never faced an issue with self start. I consider it true but that's either coz your bike is fairly new (1-2 years) or you have maintained it pretty well(starting it regulary, regular charging) or Avenger's battery never goes down(that I doubt.)

I rode avenger only once and felt like a toy bike since i am used to riding taller ones. But yeah handling in traffic might be an issue.

I am also planning to buy a bike soon but I think i will go with a kick start bike only.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom read the last one year posts What Bike?
Be more specific of your requirement

Intended usage (e.g. Office/College commute, Highway runs)
City & Highway percentage usage
Approximate Daily / Monthly running

My Suggestion :
Just buy an old 150 cc bike (preferably Bajaj as the prices are low for resale) as your current skill level is not even shifting gears properly, so you will no doubt screw the clutch. Apply, practice and obtain the licence first.
Learn to counter steer and do correct braking (necessary). @Nerevarine is absolutely right. Learn technique first and increase your capacity of bike.

Add helmet and protective gear to your budget.

Ride Safe.

@thatsashok: Your post was good. The newbie thread on xbhp was a great read. Unfortunately there are mostly high level bike discussion. Didn't seem much useful for me.

Height: 5.4" (little bit margin of error, but can't be more than that)
Intended usage: It will be mostly used on weekends (since for office, I have cabs). And will also be used by my dad. I don't intend to use it for long drives (although I would want it once I get more comfortable). So, in summary, I would be using bikes mostly on weekends for small distances within city (traffic and highways).
City and Highway percentage usage: I don't live in a secluded location, hence usage of highways will be more. Even if I decide to occasionally drive to office, it's about 16 kms and mostly highway route (so 32 km round trip).
Approximate Daily/Monthly running: Excluding long drives (if any, and since I mostly prefer public transport) I don't think usage will be much.

Yes my current level is not even shifting gears properly, but never in my teens I craved for bike (typical geek) and never in later years I felt the need for (always had office cabs). So I want to start with a good bike head on (not slowly pave my way to a good one). Also, since I earn, I can afford some maintenance cost (but don't want to compromise on quality [and probably looks]).

That video on counter steering got me confused tho. Is it explaining something we do unconsciously? I have rode bicycle a lot when I was teen. I don't think I need to learn a simple thing like "steering". Unless I have been riding bicycles the wrong way all along.
That second video about braking, tells that back wheel brakes are very important, one of the first lesson that was provided to me when I bought my first bicycle as a student. The seller said, "Always use brakes of both wheels together". Except in case of bikes, the brakes of back-wheel is pressed by right leg. So I would need to get use to THAT.

Thanks for the tip to always wear helmet and protective gear. Believe me, I value my life more than you. :p

Suzuki Gixxer SP @ 82k (ex-showroom)

That seems to have a big height and back seat is too high too.
Also with that money I would rather want to buy Yamaha FZ S ver 2.

Dropping Avenger since albeit it's low seat height, I don't think I can handle it on sharp turns.

I promise to take care of my bike, so I can take a chance on self start bikes and although kick start option is good to have, that would not be my criteria for buying.

How about CB Shine 125 SP.

It's very plain looking. :p

thatsashok

peace panda
@Vyom Were you drunk when you watched the videos ? You were as dumb in answering my post as always

1. When you ride your bike you tend to move it with body weight. At higher speeds bike will resist to move away from straight line. Thats what was explained in video. Counter steering aids in quick changes in direction.

2. Front brake is more important than rear brake. Use them in tandem for more effective braking

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@Vyom Were you drunk when you watched the videos ? You were as dumb in answering my post as always
Did I? Jeez! Apologies. I might have been drunk if you think I was. Had you explained what did I miss in answering your question, maybe I can answer it again!

Thanks for another video to explain counter steering. That video was scary. I managed to learn counter steering better watching this video:

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Alright, so looking at the seat height as a factor, I have short listed the bikes to below:
Yamaha SZ RR V 2.0
Hero Glamour FI [2017]
Suzuki Gixxer

Comparison (with Yamaha FZ S V 2.0 put in to compare):
Yamaha SZ RR V 2.0 vs Yamaha FZ S V 2.0 vs Hero Glamour FI [2017] vs Suzuki Gixxer - BikeWale

Most of the standard bikes like Discover is plain, as well as high seat height. Both of which are bad for me.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Last weekend I went to a Yamha's bike showroom. I tried sitting on the Yamaha SZ RR V2.0 bike. I was surprised that it was very hard to reach my feet on the ground. I could reach to ground on FZ ver2, but SZ RR was giving me problem.

I asked the salesman that it would be difficult for me to drive this. He told that bike's height can be lowered to about one inch by doing some adjustments. Also the seat will also sink a bit after some driving. I now am wondering if any bike could be made lower easily? Or can only few be customized!?

Hrishi

Last weekend I went to a Yamha's bike showroom. I tried sitting on the Yamaha SZ RR V2.0 bike. I was surprised that it was very hard to reach my feet on the ground. I could reach to ground on FZ ver2, but SZ RR was giving me problem.

I asked the salesman that it would be difficult for me to drive this. He told that bike's height can be lowered to about one inch by doing some adjustments. Also the seat will also sink a bit after some driving. I now am wondering if any bike could be made lower easily? Or can only few be customized!?
Don't buy it, even with adjustment it will become a little difficult to ride. In most cases, the ride height adjustment is typically done by changing the suspension settings. Seat sinking isn't going to have any effect.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Don't buy it, even with adjustment it will become a little difficult to ride. In most cases, the ride height adjustment is typically done by changing the suspension settings. Seat sinking isn't going to have any effect.
Yes. Now that you mentioned it, he did say the height adjustment can be done with changing the suspension settings. But if I rule out this bike I am left with little choice. I don't want Avenger too for it's radically different handling. Choosing a bike seems near impossible now.

Ronnie012

Earthling
Out of all the bikes listed I think Suzuki Gixxer fits the bill. It has the lowest saddle height of all the bikes listed (excluding Avenger) ,striking looks and kickstart. Why don't you ask bssunilreddy regarding it since he suggested it?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If Suzuki Gixxer is the only bike that meets the height + style department criteria.. I think I will need to consider it among top choice despite the fact that my dad won't like it. :p
The bike is no doubt very sporty! Chicks would dig it. :D

Ronnie012

Earthling
If Suzuki Gixxer is the only bike that meets the height + style department criteria.. I think I will need to consider it among top choice despite the fact that my dad won't like it. :p
Well then l guess it meets all criteria except your dad's criteria :)

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
If you are going for Gixxer make sure you have good service center in your vicinity. My friend has a Gixxer and I have a Access. The service center where bought our vehicles have crappy service but not as bad as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom