Need the best Printer (Print + Copy + Scan) for around 4k-5k

rvlkiran

Right off the assembly line
What is a good quality photo paper that we can buy for this printer ? I'm looking for pricing less than Rs.2 per 4"x6" photo

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I have no idea regarding this. I haven't attached the color cartridge till now, since didn't feel the need to print any color prints till now.

But I did some research:

This HP Glossy Paper contain 20 postcard size pages. And for the price it's really good.

Similar sized color print paper from Kodak costs 96 for 100 sheets. Kodak high gloss paper.

You can try those. Or you can try A4 size color print pages on Flipkart. But those seems very costly.

rvlkiran

I had a chance to test the photo printing ability of HP 3545 recently. We had a family photo shoot (8 adults, 4 kids) at a studio when we gathered for Diwali. We got one copy from the studio & took the digital copy for reprints ourselves. The digital copy had already been post-processed for contrast/brightness etc by the Studio, so all I had to do was 'Print' :wink:

Since it's going to be framed, I needed a large format (A4 at least), and hence I chose the following paper.
Kodak Premium Photo Paper

I used HP Photo Creations software that came free with the printer to play around with scaling/print quality etc. I wondered about using 'Best' vs 'Max DPI' option, and I searched for an answer here:
Best or MaxDPI

The conclusion was: Use 'Best' option, it's sufficient & saves ink.

Finally I clicked print. It printed within 20-30 seconds. About the quality - It's quite good, The color reproduction is excellent. I can notice the dots (e.g., in the texture of the face) when I look at it very closely (like 7-8 cm distance), but from a normal viewing distance of 10-15 cm or more, it is not at all noticeable. As per the above link, 'Max DPI' will make the texture more smooth, but the 'Best' quality is sufficient for my purpose.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Thanks for sharing your experience.

Btw, the paper is showing "Currently unavailable" and not even showing the price. So how much it cost?

rvlkiran

I got 20 A4 sheets @ Rs. 340 (free shipping). Here's one but you have to buy 3 sets ShopClues-Kodak RC. There are similar equivalents by other brands (i.e., Resin Coated, Glossy, 270 gsm, A4 or 4"x6"). Flipkart-GoColor brand, Amazon - Colorite brand

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Check out laser printer and i used both Canon and HP both has same price for ink cartridges but HP was fast and quit while printing

- - - Updated - - -

And [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] congrat for being mod

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks rvlkiran for the links.
If I ever need to buy the paper I would refer your research.

Thanks TechnoBOY.
Pro tip: Try to use more punctuation. W/o it your post sound little weird. :p

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
BTW hows your new printer

Lol, you edited out your post before I can reply, "Checkout post number 13" :p

It's still holding good. Not printing much but whenever I do, almost twice in a week, it works good.

tushargupta

Broken In
Hello people,
I am thinking to buy a wireless printer scanner due to sudden death of my scanner. After reading this quite informative thread and reviews from users mentioned here, I m inclined to buying HP 3545. Regarding the usage scenario, i already have an old B/W laser printer at home so printing functionality will be rarely used in near future. occasional photo printing by my father. It will be mostly used for documents scanning (thru wifi) and sometimes B/W copying. Please suggest whether the cartridge print head gets dried and clogged if not used for weeks. Also pls share info for preventing the clogging during long usage gaps.

icebags

Technomancer
Please suggest whether the cartridge print head gets dried and clogged if not used for weeks. Also pls share info for preventing the clogging during long usage gaps.

yes, it gets dried.

keep printing ur selfies in every other week to evade that.

*www.koreandramafashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/13-Gianna-Jun-Ji-Hyeon-You-Who-Came-From-The-Stars-Fashion-Review.jpg

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ LOL.

Yes [MENTION=60252]tushargupta[/MENTION]: Inkjet printers have this problem. Ink cartridges in inkjet printers is recommended to be used. Atleast once a week, so that it doesn't try up. But if you just want to scan, isn't it better you get a dedicated scanner for it? I think if you don't/won't print enough, an MFD won't be of much use anyway.

tushargupta

Broken In
^^ LOL.

Yes [MENTION=60252]tushargupta[/MENTION]: Inkjet printers have this problem. Ink cartridges in inkjet printers is recommended to be used. Atleast once a week, so that it doesn't try up. But if you just want to scan, isn't it better you get a dedicated scanner for it? I think if you don't/won't print enough, an MFD won't be of much use anyway.

lol icebags ;)

my laser printer is old and is giving problems sometimes so i want to futureproof for the case that the laser printer dies. Also the fact that standalone scanners are >5k so its bargain to go for MFD. I dont need pro grade resolution and scan quality, just home tasks (mostly documents). I want to have it wireless so that my dad may use it effortlessly and keep it anywhere in house (also use from tablet and android phone)

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I am sure that your need a PC for wireless scanning. Haven't tested if wireless scanning works on tablets and Android phones.

tushargupta

Broken In
I am sure that your need a PC for wireless scanning. Haven't tested if wireless scanning works on tablets and Android phones.

i do have laptop and wifi router.
Do u think on new year rebates like diwali be offered by retailers. shud i wait till then??

rvlkiran

I have tested wireless scanning and printing on Android smartphone. You need to install HP All-In-One Printer Remote app for scanning. The Android smartphone & the HP printer should be in the same wireless network, Open up the app, it discovers the available HP printer, and you just need to hit 'Scan' button. The scan will be shown in the App as a picture, you can hit 'PDF' button & it will even save it as a PDF.

Similarly, for wireless printing from Android smartphone, install HP ePrint App. It will set-up a 'share intent' handler for Android. From any application, hit 'share', the HP ePrint will show as a handler, and if you click it, the document will be sent to the printer.

- - - Updated - - -

i do have laptop and wifi router.
Do u think on new year rebates like diwali be offered by retailers. shud i wait till then??

Before Diwali I got a great price from Amazon.in (see my earlier post in this thread), I see that the current retail price hovers around 5800. You might want to wait for a while if you don't need it urgently. Also note that sometimes the Amazon offers are kind of 'hidden' - The item description shows the current price, then you will see something like "10 offers from 5,880.00" - Click on the 10 offers, then in the seller description you'll see a bold text 'additional 10% off, available at checkout'. You've to add to the cart and proceed to checkout, then you'll see the final discounted price.

tushargupta

Broken In
I have tested wireless scanning and printing on Android smartphone. You need to install HP All-In-One Printer Remote app for scanning. The Android smartphone & the HP printer should be in the same wireless network, Open up the app, it discovers the available HP printer, and you just need to hit 'Scan' button. The scan will be shown in the App as a picture, you can hit 'PDF' button & it will even save it as a PDF.

Similarly, for wireless printing from Android smartphone, install HP ePrint App. It will set-up a 'share intent' handler for Android. From any application, hit 'share', the HP ePrint will show as a handler, and if you click it, the document will be sent to the printer.

- - - Updated - - -

Before Diwali I got a great price from Amazon.in (see my earlier post in this thread), I see that the current retail price hovers around 5800. You might want to wait for a while if you don't need it urgently. Also note that sometimes the Amazon offers are kind of 'hidden' - The item description shows the current price, then you will see something like "10 offers from 5,880.00" - Click on the 10 offers, then in the seller description you'll see a bold text 'additional 10% off, available at checkout'. You've to add to the cart and proceed to checkout, then you'll see the final discounted price.

thanks rvlkiran for the tips.
i think i will wait for some time as i don't need it urgently. will keep an eye on prices. thanks to all for replying.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So after around 6 months I am having my first real problem with this MFD that I bought.

The Scanner just refuses to work. I had to scan about 30 important documents. But after scanning about 14 docs it just refuses to scan. I tried scanning after connecting to USB (previously I was scanning wirelessly). Tried rebooting PC, rebooting MFD, ran "HP Print and Scan Doctor". But nothing worked.

Finally contacted HP CC and they created support ticket. They assured an engineer would come tomorrow or day after tomorrow to check the MFD. Now my work is stopped. :(

Lets see how RMA experience goes.

Top Bottom