webdesigncut

Journeyman
Hello friends,

I am usimg msi 790 fx gd 70 motherboard
amd phenom 2 processor 2.8 ghz
corsair psu 550 watt
my cabinet is coolermaster elite with 5 fans

ram is 2gb corsair

my pc runs almost 12-14 hrs daily .. (not into gaming much..just normal video surfing or internet research and progarmming,photoshop etc)
recently i am facing an issue

the pc shuts down daily without warning
i have ups whose battery is fine
when i turn the pc back on .. it shows a black screen showing press f1 to run setup press f2 to load default value and continue

and the date gets reset to 2009

after i restart it then whole day it never shuts down

sometimes even after starting pc in the morning and running for 1 hr it shuts down

whats the reason behind this ?

is it dust ?
is it something else ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
It could very well be an overheating issue. Use SpeedFan application to see how much are the temps.
Also, replace the CMOS battery on your motherboard.

OP
webdesigncut

webdesigncut

Journeyman
ok i installed speedfan

and this is my current reading (check screenshot)
speedfan_reading_24-6-17.JPG

also tell ,me last time when my pc was cleaned there was change in fan alignment
what is the best fan alignment

how many inflow and how many out flow

i have 2 fans at top
1 fan at front
1 at side
1 at back

and how to fit fan to know air will go out or go in ?
dust was cleaned 5 months back

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Temperatures sure seems much.
About fan air flow, you just need to make sure that the air is sucked from chassis and thrown outwards.

Check BIOS if there is a setting which turns off PC when certain temps are reached.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually not all fans need to suck air from cabinet.Usually the front side fans are setup as sucking air from outside into the cabinet to cool down HDDs in front portion & backside & topside fans are setup to expel/push hot air outside the cabinet.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
is it a sudden power off kind of shutdown as if pc lost power completely.. or a proper automatic windows shut down with windows logging off..

how old is your psu and model name ?

Last edited:

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Also try taking out the RAMs from their slots wiping the connectors and blowing air to clear any dust from the RAM sockets and then placing them back. Doing this has more than once solved this kind of random restarting issue on my desktop.

OP
webdesigncut

webdesigncut

Journeyman
is it a sudden power off kind of shutdown as if pc lost power completely.. or a proper automatic windows shut down with windows logging off..

how old is your psu and model name ?
It's a sudden shut down like power off..I have ups..but it's working fine

One of my fans was not running
I replaced it with new circle 120 mm led
That brought the temperature to 52-53 for a day and shut down issue also didn't happen but again today could temperature is 60 + and after few hours of running it shut down but again when I restart it shows black screen with options do you want to start pc normal or safe.mode

Currently my pc has 5 fans

1 intake at front
1 intake at side
2 exhaust on top and 1 exhaust at back

Pc is almost 4 years old.. I mentioned model no. In first post

Last edited:
OP
webdesigncut

webdesigncut

Journeyman
Also try taking out the RAMs from their slots wiping the connectors and blowing air to clear any dust from the RAM sockets and then placing them back. Doing this has more than once solved this kind of random restarting issue on my desktop.
Yes I will try that..

Also do I need to apply thermal paste to cpu? Last time was applied 6 months back

OP
webdesigncut

webdesigncut

Journeyman
Temperatures sure seems much.
About fan air flow, you just need to make sure that the air is sucked from chassis and thrown outwards.

Check BIOS if there is a setting which turns off PC when certain temps are reached.
Yes I will ask my hardware engineer to check that

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Check your PSU fan, if it's not spinning you could experience sudden shutdown.

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Yes I will try that..

Also do I need to apply thermal paste to cpu? Last time was applied 6 months back

Depends on the quality of thermal paste really. You can do it if you want but be sure to do properly clean the earlier paste before applying the new one with alcohol.

OP
webdesigncut

webdesigncut

Journeyman
Check your PSU fan, if it's not spinning you could experience sudden shutdown.

psu fan is running i just checked today

and today speedfan stats
speedfan_30-6-17.JPG

and i am still waiting for my hardware engineer to clean the pc inside out by opening all components (last cleaning was 6 months back)
and apply thermal paste
i will update u guys as soon as its done

Reactions: nac
OP
webdesigncut

webdesigncut

Journeyman
My pc was cleaned yesterday inside out by my hardware engineer

psu fan cleaned inside out
thermal paste applied
cmos battery replaced
this is my present speedfan reading
speedfan_reading_3-7-17.JPG

i also detected earlier 1 fan was not showing in speedfan reading but now all shows

and i thank everyone for their help

Top Bottom