Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Shawshank Redemption (No 2 movie on IMDB)
*www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/

The Pursuit of Happyness - This one is simply superb! I've been recommending everyone to watch it. Its a real life story about a self made millionaire.. Simply superb. I can bet this will change the way you look at LIFE. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
*www.imdb.com/title/tt0454921/

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Jane Bhi Do Yaaron(My favourite movie)

Hrishikesh Mukherjee Movies:

Golmaal
Anand
Mili
Guddi
Bawarchi

The rest:

Dhoop(Real Story)
Black Friday(Real Story)
Dor
Maine Gandhi Ko Nahi Mara
Khosla Ka Ghosla
Amar Akbar Anthony
Hyderabad Blues 1 and 2
Gangajal
Gardish
Maqbool
My Brother Nikhil
Omkara
Infernal Affairs- The Departed is a copy of this movie
15 Park Avenue- One of the most Brilliant Endings
Shwaas- Marathi Movie made inside 30 lakhs. Brilliant, to say the least.
Shadows of Time- Another movie with a brilliant ending
Wedded Bliss

unni

In the zone
kalpik said:
The Pursuit of Happyness - This one is simply superb! I've been recommending everyone to watch it. Its a real life story about a self made millionaire.. Simply superb. I can bet this will change the way you look at LIFE. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
*www.imdb.com/title/tt0454921/
Yeah. Its an amazing movie. I was all the time praying for a good ending while I was watching it. Its great to see such movies from Hollywood, which I thought was full of aliens, super heroes and such things that you don't see in daily life, plus some sweet animations. Because of The Pursuit of Happiness, I will try to watch most of the movies that you guys have so far recommended. My recommendations include

-all the animations so far said +
-Chicken Run : clay-mation (about a group of chickens trying to escape from their coop
-Chicken Little: just because it has chickens acting in it
-GodFather 1,2,3: I like 1 & 3

I can't remember any more now. Will do an updatedb while on bed.

Desi-Tek.com said:
pirate of silicon valley (about apple, microsoft, ibm, zerox, and a guy who sold his os @just 50k$ to bill and later bill made millions with it (MSDOS))
Thanks for this info. Never heard about this before. I will certainly watch this tomorrow.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
I remembered one more: Cars.. Hehe.. A VERY sweet movie.. :)
*www.imdb.com/title/tt0317219/

I was watching the making of Cars the other day.. And there the director was speaking about the film.. He said, after the first screening, someone came upto him and said "marvelous film.. after about 15 minutes.. i even forgot that they were just cars!".. The director said that was the best compliment he had ever recieved :)

nix

err....guys, pls dont recommend movies like terminator 2 or matrix coz we've all seen them right. and do provide a description so we know what we're gonna see.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
mail2and said:
Jane Bhi Do Yaaron(My favourite movie)

Hrishikesh Mukherjee Movies:

Golmaal
Anand
Mili
Guddi
Bawarchi

The rest:

Dhoop(Real Story)
Black Friday(Real Story)
Dor
Maine Gandhi Ko Nahi Mara
Khosla Ka Ghosla
Amar Akbar Anthony
Hyderabad Blues 1 and 2
Gangajal
Gardish
Maqbool
My Brother Nikhil
Omkara
Infernal Affairs- The Departed is a copy of this movie
15 Park Avenue- One of the most Brilliant Endings
Shwaas- Marathi Movie made inside 30 lakhs. Brilliant, to say the least.
Shadows of Time- Another movie with a brilliant ending
Wedded Bliss

This is a great list. Even though i'm yet to see a couple of them.

Maine Gandhi Ko Nahin Mara and Shwaas was excellent movies.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
s18000rpm said:
=>Police Academy:D

Description- Comedy from Start to end:D (only for Adults)
I've seen it.tis gr8 yaar!:D:D plus they've got part-2,3,4 etc..zomg when will i see?

but u ppl know-we dont have video cd/dvd parlours in Kerala now:( even no street sellers can be seen in Cochin.one IPS officer(Hrishi Raj Singh) and the local film industry is behind banning Video shops for accusing of distributing pirated stuff.even copyrighted master cd/dvd cant be redistributed,such a misery.:( i know in other states there is no restrictions in selling but why in Kerala?
now i heard,this moser baer company is trying distributing their DVDs and vcds here...sub golmaal here in kerala.
why?they should first raid for pirated windows os;not vcd's whose legality is not yet correctly known:cool:
read:
*www.indianexpress.com/story/18226.html

Last edited:

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
err.. Nix, no need of details maan... that'ld make the post real long.
Just google for the movie with "movie:<movie name>" to get results. For eg.. Police Academy

clmlbx

Technomancer
My Recomendations :-

1. First $ 20 Million Is The Hardest
2. The Librarian ( Both The Parts )
3. Ghost Busters ( Both The Parts )
4. Troy
5. Paycheck
6. Back To The Future ( All 3 Parts )
7. Illusionist
8. We Are Marshall
9. Accepted
10. A Bug's Life
11. THE GUARDIAN
12. SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS
13. RESIDENT EVIL ( Both The Parts )
14. THE VILLAGE
15. Invincible
16. Ocean Eleven
17. Ocean Tweleve
18. The Departed
19. Pursuit Of Happyness
20. LEAGUE OF AN EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMAN

Last edited:

hailgautam

Youngling
All Guys: It would have been better if you guys posted on the same lines as Old ~Phenom~ suggested. And what the fun in putting all the movies you have ever seen as the best movies. may be the best 3-4 movies would be good idea.

Last edited:

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
I completely agree with hailgautam and ~Phenom~

This thread looks like a ImDB.com Website :D

Post only 5 movies max in a single post and only those which you feel
are the best of the best

hailgautam

Youngling
2 Hindi movies of the yesteryears that I love absolutely:

Movie Name: Anand - 1970
Language: Hindi
Genre: Drama/Comedy
Starring:Rajesh Khanna as Anand Saigal, Amitav Bachhan as Dr Bhaskar aka Babu Moshai
Director:Hrishikesh Mukherji

Small Review: Anand is the story of two friends, Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan. Rajesh Khanna is terminall ill with cancer. When his doctor friend (Amitabh) comes to know of this he marvels at 'Anand's' zest for life. There is no sign of imminent death in him. He laughs and makes everybody laugh.

Somewhere inside, Anand is lonely, he is aware of his fate, but tries to live every moment fully. He brushes off fear and enjoys gifts of nature -- the sun, moon, breeze, twilight and laughter.

It is only in laughter that he breathes his last. The film deals with the inevitable end, death, and yet breathes life in such a morbid subject with lively performances and great songs. Anand is, Rajesh Khanna's best film to date (Shamelessly Copy/Pasted from: ApunkaChoice.com)

What I Like: The Jest for life of Anand, the Songs.

Trivia:
  • Dedicated to Raj Kapoor with whom Hrishikesh Mukherjee started his movie career as an editor.
  • 'Mehmood' advised Amitabh Bachchan to grab a secondary role alongside the then heartthrob Rajesh Khanna in the film, saying, "All you need to do is feed off Khanna, the rest will take care of itself."
  • Originally, Hrishikesh Mukherjee had envisioned Shashi Kapoor, the brother of Raj Kapoor, for the role of Anand. He wanted Raj Kapoor himself, but he had just recovered from his illness and Mukherjee couldn't bear to see him die on the screen, since he had almost died in real life. In any case, Shashi Kapoor was not eager for the role, so Rajesh Khanna got it - it remains his most memorable role with Aradhana (1969) and Amar Prem (1971).
  • Hrishikesh Mukherjee brought back Salil Choudhury , whose career had reached a cul-de-sac after spending a term in jail on a murder charge, and Yogesh , a then-forgotten lyricist. Their careers revived significantly after the film.
  • The term "Babu Moshai" means "great gentleman." Raj Kapoor often affectionately addressed Hrishikesh Mukherjee with this term, just as Anand addresses Bannerjee.
(Shamelessly Copy/Pasted from: IMDB)
  • This is only one of 2 movies where Rajesh Khanna and Amithabh Bachhan worked together.
-------------------------------------------===============------------------------------------------------

Movie Name:
Bawarchi - 1972
Language: Hindi
Genre: Drama/Comedy
Starring:Rajesh Khanna as Raghu (Bawarchi), Jaya Bhaduri as Krishna Sharma
Director:Hrishikesh Mukherji

Small Review: Squabbling Sharma family has a dubious reputation of not having any cook last there for more than a few months. Word spreads out about this family to such an extent that no person wants to be employed as a cook in this household, ironically named Shanti Nivas. Then one day a young man named Raghu offers to work as a cook, and he is hired. Raghu quickly gets a grip on his job and on each of the family members, and soon the squabbles and arguments come to an end. And then the Sharmas find the family jewels and Raghu missing. .....(Shamelessly Copy/Pasted from IMDB)

Trivia:The film has no title cards. Instead the titles and credits are narrated using a voice over by Amitabh Bachchan. (Shamelessly Copy/pasted from : IMDB)

What I Like: It teaches how to live life. Tells you that the real fun is in living every moment of it and without looking out for that greatest happiness which will never come.

squid

Broken In
Movie Name: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) (Clint Eastwood)
Language: English
Genre:Action

Movie Name: Payback (1999) Melgibson
Genre:Action

Movie Name: Running Scared (2006)
Genre:Thriller

shashank4u

Youngling
hey recently watched
The Perfume
lang: english

A completely diff story plot that u can ever imagine..
Story of a guy who makes a perfume by killing dozens of
gals thru their body...and the final perfume created was
a hell...it was hard to believe the seen when he opens
the bottle of perfume--- secret :D

must watch.

amitava82

MMO Addict
I like Teen comedies. here is my list of recommendations for those who like this kinds of movies:
1. American Pie 1-4
2. Van Wilder
3. Grandma’s Boy
4. 10 things I hate about you
5. Raise your voice
6. Meet the fockers
7. 50 first date
8. She is the man
9. Serendipity
10. Freaky Friday
11. How to lose a guy in 10 days
12. The longest weekend
13. For richer or poorer
14. American beauty (bit different)
15. Eurotrip
16. Not another teen movie
17. Hitch
18. Clueless
19. Mean girls
20. A lot like love
21. Napoleon dynamite
22. Wedding singer
23. Wedding crashers

may be i missed some. if you guys know some, plz lemme know..

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH
Troy
The Guardian
Resident Evil
The Village
League Of An Extraordinary Gentleman
Contantine
Van Helsing
The Fast And The Furious, 2fast 2furious,the Fast And The Furious:tokyo Drift
X-men
Terminator