Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Raw - French movie on cannibalism. Must watch for horror fans. Not exactly a horror movie. The atmosphere reminded me of 'Let the right one in', although the premises was completely different. Great debut by the lady director. Looking forward to her future ventures.

Wonderful OST and intermittent humor. The hospital old man scene is epic! (not a spoiler)

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Raw - French movie on cannibalism. Must watch for horror fans. Not exactly a horror movie. The atmosphere reminded me of 'Let the right one in', although the premises was completely different. Great debut by the lady director. Looking forward to her future ventures.

Wonderful OST and intermittent humor. The hospital old man scene is epic! (not a spoiler)
This one Grave (2016) - IMDb

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Dunkirk .... ... Was good for me nothing exceptional. See if you measure the movie from the cinematography perspective, technical stand point, creative camera work and apt and to the point portrayal of human emotions, this actually will score pretty high, a 7.5/10 on my scale, BUT as far as the thrill, tension, edge of the seat, war brutality, horror, chaos is concerned it was ok at the best. War might be the backdrop of the movie but pivot was not showing the war as such, which is ok nothing wrong in it, I, however, felt that there was less material to actually convert the screenplay in to an edge of the seat thriller war cinema ..... IMHO ofcourse ....6.8/10

PS :::
The ariel shots and the dogfights no doubt were absolutely stunningly captured. That's the best part of this movie if you ask me ....

PS2::: The director himself admits he did not want the tension in this war movie ...

Dunkirk (2017) - Trivia - IMDb

Another interesting fact ::::::: """The film was criticized for not showing Indian soldiers. Four contingents of Indian soldiers fought at Dunkirk, even though Mohandas K. Gandhi had ordered all Indian people not to support the British war effort in September 1939.""""""

Last edited:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
However, what is a crazy ending is, if you can jump safe, why would you wheel into deep ?

Exactly my thoughts, when there were so many civil boats rescuing, why on mother earth would you land you plane on the beach, and not just jump into the water ...... I also couldn't understand why this ending was chosen ...

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Yes, I've watched a lot of war movies and tv shows before.
My rating is based on my preference, you don't have to agree with it.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

So you would not rate any war movie over Dunkirk since you have given it 9/10....

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
So you would not rate any war movie over Dunkirk since you have given it 9/10....
I would maybe rate Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan on the same level. Not every movie has to be compared on the same scale.
Dunkirk wastes no time with needless dialogues or long inspiring monologue by the main characters. It's taut as a string, tense, brilliantly shot and you can feel the tension and despair of the soldiers in every frame. Although you are not given a detailed back story about any character(which again is a trait I absolutely love) there's a lot of nuisances and small details which of you observe gives insight about them. I've watched it 3 times by now and it holds up brilliantly at every viewing.
But then again, as I said earlier, these things are completely subjective to each individual.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Any masterpiece cannot be compared with each other since they are masterpieces themselves.

I think you are giving too much importance to Dunkirk or any other film if for that sake.

Almost all WWII movies since 1960s are materpieces.

One cannot be compared to the other. Kids just grow up yaar.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I would maybe rate Band Of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan on the same level. Not every movie has to be compared on the same scale.
Dunkirk wastes no time with needless dialogues or long inspiring monologue by the main characters. It's taut as a string, tense, brilliantly shot and you can feel the tension and despair of the soldiers in every frame. Although you are not given a detailed back story about any character(which again is a trait I absolutely love) there's a lot of nuisances and small details which of you observe gives insight about them. I've watched it 3 times by now and it holds up brilliantly at every viewing.
But then again, as I said earlier, these things are completely subjective to each individual.

so you would rate classic movies like The Great Escape, Platoon, Schindler's List, where eagles dare, The guns of Navarone, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Salvador .. (need I list more) ...Below Dunkirk???? ..... if YES then don't mind me, you don't know what you are saying OR how to rate .......BUT I agree these things are completely subjective to each individual, so yea peace ..:)

And BTW and FYI, the list I have shared is only the TIP of the iceberg of the plethora of war movies that are HELL better in every respect than Dunkirk .... Movies Like Downfall, Hamburger Hill, The beast, Letters from Iwo Jima, ... ... and I haven't even begin listing the Chinese Hong Kong contribution, with movies like City of life and death, and ASSEMBLY, which are miles ahead from Dunkirk ...........

Dunkirk could not even get the histro right ......

The actual history of Dunkirk: Where the Indian soldiers were abandoned to die : History

Dunkirk is racist, sexist, anti-French propaganda: All the worst Dunkirk takes (so far)

and this article very aptly summen why Dunkirk is no way near to one of the greatest war movie

Brown skin, white sands: Dunkirk is no Path of Glory

Last edited:

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
you don't know what you are saying OR how to rate .......BUT I agree these things are completely subjective to each individual, so yea peace

Did you make up you mind what you are saying ? The left part or the right

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
@sam9s Look man, I don't need to justify my likes to you and I'm not gonna get into a debate with a condescending person on the internet. Maybe you have better taste in movies than me, have fun with it.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
@sam9s Look man, I don't need to justify my likes to you and I'm not gonna get into a debate with a condescending person on the internet. Maybe you have better taste in movies than me, have fun with it.

Who is asking you to justify, it's a debate, discussion, and I wrote what I felt, does not mean I don't respect you or what you wrote ... ..... i DID say "I agree these things are completely subjective to each individual," ... anyway if this hurted ur senses then apologies ...:)

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Dunkirk - 7/10
Not a great war movie but a good one none the less. Good performances by everyone, plus points for being short.
Not the best from Nolan imo.

Ghost in the Shell - 6/10
Nowhere near as good as the original anime, still an OK adaptation. Great visuals and settings.
Don't see myself liking Scarlett as the Major(not because of the white-washing).

The Mummy - 4/10
Mediocre of a film, worst of Tom Cruise. Couldn't see anything likeable about it.

Top Bottom