Lime Ears Aether Review

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Figured I can post my review here too so here goes

Introduction

Aether is the flagship model of Lime Ears. This utilizes 5 BA drivers with a four way passive crossover network. The IEM features a switchable sub-bass woofer. The Aether has been described as a very Natural IEM with amazing depth.

*i65.tinypic.com/2wfpxk9.jpg

The review score guide

I will score CIEMs on a scale of 5.

· 1 point for Technicalities (Imaging and separation).

· 1 point for Bass.

· 1 point for Midrange.

· 1 point for Treble.

· 1 point for Soundstage and Air.

· I will also deduct up to 1 point for sibilance.

Do note that the score grading will be done extremely harshly and getting a full point in any criteria would be almost impossible no matter how good the IEM is. This grading system is relative to all the other TOTL IEMs out there. For a reference in any category,

· 0.0 – 0.1 = Bad

· 0.1 – 0.3 = Average

· 0.3 – 0.5 = Good

· 0.5 – 0.7 = Superb

· 0.7 – 0.9 = Amazing

· 0.9 – 1.0 = Best in Class; No other IEM in the world does this better.

If an IEM manages to score even a 3/5 then it can be considered a TOTL piece. A 4.5 essentially means the perfect IEM. The score is also subject to tiny changes over time as I try to perfect this grading system.

Also, the score at the top does not reflect this score but how the IEM performs in comparison to all the other IEMs in the world. That score will most certainly be always higher than my personal TOTL score.

I am more of a music lover than a true Audiophile. I prefer musicality but I will try to make my reviews as objective as possible.

Source

Ibasso DX200

*i64.tinypic.com/33xf1qg.jpg

Sound Impressions

Technicalities (Imaging, Separation)

I thought that the Imaging was done very well. The imaging was not pin point precise like some other IEMs. It’s definitely a little loose but even then, it can be considered very good.

Separation was done pretty well especially vertically separation which the Aether excels at. Horizontal separation is not at par with some other IEMs but overall, it’s very good.

Score – 0.6/1

Bass

The Aether has a bass switch which turns on or off the subwoofer. When the switch is off, the bass texture improves and the speed improves (both attack and decay). With the switch on, the texture of the bass becomes lack luster but the decay considerably increases which is enjoyable on quite a lot of songs. With the switch on, the mid-bass impact definitely increases slightly but the biggest change is the sub-bass(obviously) and the bass overall becomes very authoritative. It adds a certain atmosphere to songs having sub-bass. With the switch on, bass extension is deep, very deep.

Score – 0.6/1

Midrange

Midrange is exactly at the right spot. It’s neither too forward nor too laid back. It’s neither too musical nor too reference. I can hear a fair amount of musicality in the mids. Smoothness is decent. It could have been smoother but this is good. Personally, I would have preferred slightly more musical mids but no complaints here as this is subjective. Female vocals are sweet yet not so sweet. It’s like the IEM is trying to please both the musical and analytical crowd. That said, vocal extension could have been better. Engagement is decent but a little more wouldn’t hurt.

Score – 0.65/1

*i64.tinypic.com/wwdjsh.jpg

Treble

Ah the sweet Treble. This is almost perfect Treble quantity imo. I am very Treble sensitive and have a preference for darker signatures. I thought this amount is just the sweet spot. Moreover, it is smooth, just utterly smooth. No peaks or harshness. The Treble definition could have been a little better but I think the Treble is just awesome.

Score – 0.8/1

Soundstage + Air

Vertical soundstage is the star here. Just superb depth and height. I was quite surprised when I first heard this because my daily driver does not have much soundstage depth and height. Meanwhile, the soundstage width is decent. It’s not very wide something which I would have liked. Overall, this is still TOTL soundstage.

The air between instruments was good. It definitely could use a little more but this is very good and no complaints here. However, it lacks the feeling of being enveloped by sound.

Score – 0.6/1

Sibilance

Absolutely no sibilance. Nada! Nothing. Not even an iota. This is one of few IEMs I have heard that contain no sibilance. This is very surprising because I am very susceptible to sibilance. I can hear it in the most unexpected of places. This is just wonderful.

Score – 0/-1

Comparisons

64 Audio A12 ADELA12 has much better horizontal soundstage and separation. The bass is also better textured and has a tad more impact when Aether’s bass switch is on. The midrange of the A12 is more laid back but is more musical and sweet. Aether just trumps the A12 at Treble. Aether Treble is smoother and just plain better. Aether also has a much better vertical soundstage. A12 also has more air.

Empire Ears Zeus XR ADELThe Zeus does technicalities better than any IEM I have heard to date. It just trumps the Aether at everything including soundstage, imaging, separation and layering. Zeus bass lacks impact but is very well textured and extends very deep. In XIV mode, Zeus’ midrange is sweeter. Zeus Treble is also much more sparkly and better defined than Aether. Aether Treble however is much more smooth and devoid of any sibilance. Aether has more air than Zeus.

64 Audio tia fourteThe tia also does technicalities better than Aether. Tia has that dynamic bass characteristic of it being a hybrid piece. The bass is very well defined and articulate. The midrange is also much more enjoyable. The tia has more Treble quantity than Aether yet it is not sibilant. Tia fourte also has infinitely more air than Aether.

Noble Audio Kaiser EncoreEncore bass has more mid-bass impact than Aether. It’s also a tad more well defined. The Encore mids really shine well and are more enjoyable than Aether. Meanwhile Encore Treble is on the verge of being harsh and is much more sibilant than Aether. Aether is just plain smoother and non-sibilant. Soundstage is comparable to the Encore and Aether has much more air than Encore.

Conclusion

Listening to the Aether has been absolutely a pleasure for the brief period I had it. This is a very affordable TOTL IEM. The best part is that this IEM provides a very low cost for entry into the TOTL IEM arena. Overall, the IEM scored 3.25/5 which I would consider to be a very good score. The Aether stands tall as the sentinel to the door of the TOTL IEM realm.

*i66.tinypic.com/xav0yc.jpg

Credits

I would like to express my thanks to

@Barra – For organizing the Lime Ears tour because of which I was able to hear this masterpiece.

@He IS Emil – For letting me have this opportunity to hear his creation.

Top Bottom