Is this sign of dying AAA battery?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I have Panasonic Cordless phone. The handset uses two AAA Panasonic rechargeable batteries. I have already replaced batteries about 1.5 years ago.

The charge suddenly drops from full to near zero after couple of days of standby time. It does not gradually drop over couple of days.

As a result I have difficult time concluding if this is battery issue (rechargeable batteries are simply dying) or some other circuitry in the handset is at fault.

Any inputs would be great. The service center is far off in my city at the other corner so I want to do basic troubleshooting first.
Thanks.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
How hard is getting replacement batteries ? That would be one way to check it and confirm.

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
I have Panasonic Cordless phone. The handset uses two AAA Panasonic rechargeable batteries. I have already replaced batteries about 1.5 years ago.

The charge suddenly drops from full to near zero after couple of days of standby time. It does not gradually drop over couple of days.

As a result I have difficult time concluding if this is battery issue (rechargeable batteries are simply dying) or some other circuitry in the handset is at fault.

Any inputs would be great. The service center is far off in my city at the other corner so I want to do basic troubleshooting first.
Thanks.

take it to service centre, whatever solution they provide (replace battery or change circuitry) you will be able to challenge it if it does not work.

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Thanks.

I presume it is out of warranty since you replaced the batteries like 1.5 years ago. The first troubleshooting step will be to replace the batteries and test the same. Which model are you using?

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I took the phone to the service center. They confirmed two fold issue. While the batteries were worn out there also was a charging circuit issue. They said that the handset has a single PCB and the entire one shall be replaced for RS 1800 to fix this issue. So I decided to buy a brand new phone.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Yes..I have bought Panasonic KX-TG3611SXB. The earlier model that gave up was similar one but with battery pack for the base station.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes..I have bought Panasonic KX-TG3611SXB. The earlier model that gave up was similar one but with battery pack for the base station.
From Amazon? Hows the built and voice quality? I got one with the built in inverter few months back but returned it as the backup was only for 10 minutes.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Yes the battery backup is not that great hardly 10 - 15 mins for Panasonic models. Built is average but sound is quite clear. I opted for this because I may later reuse & attach the base battery pack from earlier similar model (whose handset gave up) to this one.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Yes the battery backup is not that great hardly 10 - 15 mins for Panasonic models. Built is average but sound is quite clear. I opted for this because I may later reuse & attach the base battery pack from earlier similar model (whose handset gave up) to this one.
It doesn't have a built in ups so it is not supposed to work during electricity cuts. Which backup are you talking about?

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I had similar model with battery pack for base whose handset gave up. (So was my original post) So I will reuse that pack and attach it to this model that I have newly purchased. The main model number TG3611 part is same in both. So what have I bought is same model without battery pack for base.

Top Bottom