Is this CPU physically damaged?

quicky008

Technomancer
I recently purchased an used core 2 quad Q9400 cpu from ebay.Upon receiving this cpu i examined it closely and discovered that the cpu might be damaged.What i found particularly odd was that the one of small structures at the underside of the cpu is affixed at a diagonal position,which is very strange to say the least.Usually they are set either horizontally or vertically but never at an unusual diagonal position(please refer to the attached images).It seems somehow it has broken off from its actual point of soldering and is thus stuck askew at a position where its not supposed to be.

Also i found what appears to be the residue of some thermal grease like substance at the middle of the chip(on the contact pad at the bottom).So it seems the seller has deliberately sent me a defective cpu.I haven't installed it on my motherboard as i am afraid that i might end up damaging it if i attempt to install such a faulty cpu.So can anyone check the photos and tell me whether my suspicions are correct or not ie is this indeed a damaged cpu?Should i return it and try to obtain a refund or replacement?Please advise-this really worries me as i spent around Rs 1500 on its purchase and i think the seller might have given me the shaft with this one!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 193
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, seems like damaged capacitor.

I don't think trying it in your motherboard would damage anything. If you're still afraid of that, contact the seller and send the photograph and ask for replacement/refund. Did you check the seller rating before buying?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Yes,the seller from whom i bought it had a 100% rating(his name was:"star_online")-despite that its still very odd that he has sent me a defective product.It seems no matter how high a seller's rating might be,he still can't be trusted.From what i've experienced earlier while dealing with sellers on ebay who shipped defective items,i can say that they usually don't act in a very cooperative manner on being asked to provide a refund or replacement for a damaged product they have sold.Some of them are so despicable that they don't even bother to reply when the buyer contacts him directly about issues concerning a defective item that he might have received.

The only way to obtain a refund or replacement in that case is to raise a guarantee claim on ebay and pray that ebay approves your request-and that's what i think i will have to do now.Even if the cpu does work,i am not willing to accept it as i dont wish to settle for such a defective and sub-standard item after having spent as much as 1500 on it!

Last edited:
Reactions: nac

Sarvesh

Journeyman
You may check the pictures here for proper component layout.
*brainstones.narod.ru/collection/intel_core2quad.htm

File / raise a claim for item not as described / defective within the time frame at eBay, while talking to the seller and after confirmation from eBay executive send it back through courier - ebay will reimburse you for the amount (courier charges) by the way of voucher.
Once you receive a replacement, you can close the claim.
Even if seller promises you this is the safest approach.

Last edited:

Sarvesh

Journeyman
Yes! 6 more components (smd) are missing & he should not try the cpu on any motherboard as it may damage the board since it is not just a defective cpu but is well engineered / tampered.

Seller's rating is 100% so no need to worry - don't give any negative rating - solve the issue first & once you are thoroughly satisfied you can give the rating to the seller.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Yes! 6 more components (smd) are missing & he should not try the cpu on any motherboard as it may damage the board since it is not just a defective cpu but is well engineered / tampered.

Seller's rating is 100% so no need to worry - don't give any negative rating - solve the issue first & once you are thoroughly satisfied you can give the rating to the seller.
Thanks a lot for posting such comprehensive info about the cpu-it seems the seller has deliberately sent me a tampered/discarded/broken item in the hope that i will perhaps not notice that its defective and attempt to use it on my motherboard-and in the process if the cpu sustained any further damages(such as getting burnt/melted,which is very likely)then the seller would have rejected my claim for replacement by stating that i have damaged it through misuse!

This really shocks me as i had explicitly requested the seller to check the cpu thoroughly before sending it to me-but it seems he didn't pay any heed to my request and sent me a damaged cpu anyway.I've raised a claim on ebay & had a conversation with the seller earlier today on the phone and after discussing this issue at length he finally agreed to replace it-he stated that if I send it back to him by courier he'll reimburse me for the shipping charges.He also added that if i contact ebay they might be able to arrange a reverse pickup of the item from my address.I have just emailed ebay regarding this but i'm yet to receive any replies from their end-if ebay is unable to help me in returning the item then i suppose i'll have to do it myself.

But the thing that worries me is,what if the seller sends me a defective/broken cpu yet once again?Will ebay entertain any more claims for refund/replacement in that case?

Sarvesh

Journeyman
Thanks a lot for posting such comprehensive info about the cpu-it seems the seller has deliberately sent me a tampered/discarded/broken item in the hope that i will perhaps not notice that its defective and attempt to use it on my motherboard-and in the process if the cpu sustained any further damages(such as getting burnt/melted,which is very likely)then the seller would have rejected my claim for replacement by stating that i have damaged it through misuse!

This really shocks me as i had explicitly requested the seller to check the cpu thoroughly before sending it to me-but it seems he didn't pay any heed to my request and sent me a damaged cpu anyway.I've raised a claim on ebay & had a conversation with the seller earlier today on the phone and after discussing this issue at length he finally agreed to replace it-he stated that if I send it back to him by courier he'll reimburse me for the shipping charges.He also added that if i contact ebay they might be able to arrange a reverse pickup of the item from my address.I have just emailed ebay regarding this but i'm yet to receive any replies from their end-if ebay is unable to help me in returning the item then i suppose i'll have to do it myself.

But the thing that worries me is,what if the seller sends me a defective/broken cpu yet once again?Will ebay entertain any more claims for refund/replacement in that case?
Follow correct procedure on ebay. No need to email as it will get delayed and your claim will not be entertained. Try calling over phone and save the number to call again to find about developments - although everything will also be available under claim section.

How do I contact Customer Service?

If you have not exchanged or returned anything on ebay before then you must first go and read the help regarding claiming under eBay guarantee.

eBay Guarantee*c vb Policy

Everything, right from raising claim to answering responses are time framed. You have to raise a claim within 10 days & send the item back when asked.

Read the pages properly and you will get the replacement. All communication with seller should be through ebay portal. When the seller responds on ebay you can send back the defective item through courier after taking eBay's consent and then upload the scan copy of Pod and payment receipt to eBay portal as proof & also for reimbursement. Ebay will reimburse you and will recover it from the seller. Your claim will only close when you are satisfied with the new item else eBay will offer a refund instead. Just stick to time frame while responding.

You can further ask if you have any questions.

Seller seems OK but sometimes when they don't have the item in stock they do such things just to maintain the ebay order time frame and later replace it.

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
As of now only the seller has sent me a message asking me to return the item to him by courier,but i have received no instructions for returning the defective item from ebay in my guarantee claims page.So should i wait for ebay to tell me what to do next and proceed accordingly?

Sarvesh

Journeyman
As of now only the seller has sent me a message asking me to return the item to him by courier,but i have received no instructions for returning the defective item from ebay in my guarantee claims page.So should i wait for ebay to tell me what to do next and proceed accordingly?
Did you raise the claim?
If not then first file claim by selecting contact ebay & call ebay. Talk to the executive giving reference of your paisa pay transaction ID and tell him that you want a replacement. Tell him that although seller has agreed but you want to proceed through ebay system (to be on the safe side). He will file your case and a ticket number will be provided (can be viewed in claim section as well).

Thereafter you can check the response as well as resolution/queries/instructions by eBay in the claim section.

Raising claim through phone is faster than raising through portal as you will have to wait for callback otherwise.

Further even after raising claim you have to keep calling to follow up for faster processing. Keep tracking the status on ebay portal. Remember to note down the name of the executive every time you call for further reference.

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Yes i have already raised the claim but i haven't called ebay yet.After raising the claim yesterday i received a message on my phone where it was mentioned that the seller will contact me and try to provide a solution to this issue within 4 days,otherwise ebay will step in to resolve this matter after this 4 day period elapses.On the claims page for this item,it currently says "Claim is yet to be processed".The seller did contact me today and asked me to return the item.However i have received no instructions from ebay as of yet for returning the cpu to the seller.Would it be a good idea to call them and apprise them of the situation so that they can tell me what i need to do next?

Sarvesh

Journeyman
Yes call them and ask them to arrange a pickup - then they may instruct you to either send by courier and submit the scan copy of Pod or wait for Seller's response in the claim section. Do remember to ask them to simultaneously update claim status as well. It will show the Seller's response and also your communication with the executive regarding what did he discuss & instructed you to do. Frequently check the section for updates.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
thanks a lot for your advice,Sarvesh-I spoke to ebay's customer care representative today and he told me that they will try to arrange a reverse pickup of the item from my location soon-he asked me to wait for 2 more days and mentioned that they will give me an update about this by Tuesday.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
@quicky008 you shoudn't worry, but I would recommend to get your money back instead of replacement as this seller can't be trusted anymore. I myself had raised 4-5 money back claims in past and got my money back easily. However, I had to send back the product to the seller myself (via courier) for which I got additioanl cheques from ebay (Rs. 90 lol)
If you are into buying second hand stuff, its better to get it from some good computer market (i am sure there would be good one in kolkata) as sellers on ebay in India can not be trusted.

Sarvesh

Journeyman
this seller can't be trusted anymore.
May I know why? FYI Seller's rating is 100%.
He can always ask for refund if he is not satisfied with the replacement too.
However, I had to send back the product to the seller myself (via courier) for which I got additioanl cheques from ebay (Rs. 90 lol)
Yes! You are right. The amount paid for return courier is always reimbursed by eBay.
sellers on ebay in India can not be trusted.
I don't agree here as I am a regular ebay user.
Yes there are some fraud sellers but before buying one should check Seller's reputation (percentage as well as number of ratings) and also go through the recent comments.
And eBay guarantee is also there to protect you.

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
1. May I know why? FYI Seller's rating is 100%.

2. I don't agree here as I am a regular ebay user.
Yes there are some fraud sellers but before buying one should check Seller's reputation (percentage as well as number of ratings) and also go through the recent comments.
And eBay guarantee is also there to protect you.

1. Yes I know, but still you can see what he did even with 100% rating. Sending kaput chip cannot be a mistake.
2. I agree with you, that there are good sellers on ebay as well. Before the era of amazon or flipkart, I used to do much of my online shopping on ebay only (bought even few expensive mobiles) as it was one of the very few options. But what I said is from "piece of mind" point of view. Nobody wants to get into circles of item reshipping & waiting again.
About eBay guarantee: there have been few instances where I was cheated (believe me, by very reputed sellers) and when I tried to claim refund, the site simply said that this product doesn't come under ebay guarantee. Those item weren't any garments etc. but SD cards or something like that.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Well i have bought quite a few used cpus from ebay in the past but never ran into any issues with any of them.A few months ago i ordered an used motherboard from ebay but it turned out to be defective-when i contacted the seller he didn't seem very helpful and gave me very vague/evasive replies-so i raised a guarantee claim on ebay and insisted on getting a refund as i wasn't satisfied with the seller's disposition(he was acting like a fraudster even though he had a >90% rating,his name was "processors.cpu")-ebay arranged a reverse pickup and after the item was returned they refunded my money.

A couple of months later i bought an usb hub from ebay from a seller named "technotechindia",and it turned out to be defective as well.Although it was working,the transfer speeds i was getting while using it were pathetically slow-this time i didn't contact the seller but raised a claim on ebay right away-however much to my disappointment,ebay rejected my claim stating that as the product was a new one,it was under manufacturer's warranty and so,for replacement i need to get in touch with their service center in my city.I had no idea if technotech had any service center in Kolkata,and even if it did exist the cost of taking it there and returning would have exceeded the price i paid while purchasing the hub(~Rs 250).So i just gave up the idea of replacing it and its currently lying with me unused.

So i think as far as the question of ebay's guarantee claim is concerned,it seems like a hit or miss affair-so its a good idea for any buyer to exercise caution while buying anything from ebay.As of now,i am still waiting for ebay to contact me about the replacement of my Q9400 cpu-they said they will get in touch with me by tuesday when i talked to them last week.If they don't hear from them by tuesday i will have to call them myself.Lets hope they wont keep me waiting much longer.

You've mentioned that this seller can't be trusted anymore-did you by any chance also have any bad experiences while dealing with him?If yes,please share it here-it'd make for a very interesting read indeed.Also the reason i buy certain used stuff from ebay (such as older cpus etc)is that they are very hard to find in the 2nd hand market in kolkata-even if you do manage to find what you're looking for,its almost guaranteed to be highly overpriced! So unfortunately,there's no good market for 2nd hand components in kolkata(that i know of).

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
For the last few incidents, you're keep saying items are defective/damaged/not working and sending back to the seller. Now ebay will start thinking that it's you not the seller is wrong. ;)

Whatever the case gonna be with Q9400, better don't order anything used from ebay for some time. If you keep sending back, probably they will blacklist you ;) (No, just kidding. I don't even if there is any such thing called blacklist in ebay).

Sarvesh

Journeyman
Ebay is least bothered - no matter how many times you send back the item for replacement as long as your feedback score is positive. Same stands for the seller also.

Some fraud sellers are on lookout for new members who do not have any feedback rating and trap them by sending defective or fake items to them. Later these new members also loose dispute case since they are not versed in handling situation.

So my advice to new members is to buy from certified 'Top-rated sellers' with good feedback score. Also check the Seller's date of joining as a old seller with positive feedback can be a safer choice.
So i think as far as the question of ebay's guarantee claim is concerned,it seems like a hit or miss affair-so its a good idea for any buyer to exercise caution while buying anything from ebay.
Ebay guarantee works when the item is not as described or replicate or broken or the seller has not sent the item etc.
But if an item which carries warranty is not working properly such as mobile etc. then you have to go to the service center of that product and get a DOA certificate within 10 days and send it back to the seller for replacement along with the DOA with ebay's consent.
Ebay guarantee does cover the faulty items which are under guarantee subject to procurement of DOA within stipulated time.

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Ebay has been repeatedly stonewalling me about this issue for the last 2 weeks-i opened my claim on 8th june and since then i have called them atleast 5-6 times and every time i was told that they are working on it and that someone from their department will be contacting me within 24-48 hrs and give me an update on the status of the case and let me know what i should do next-i had requested them to arrange a reverse pickup of the defective cpu and they mentioned that they will take care of it,but so far no one from their end has contacted me via phone,nor have they updated the status of the case in my guarantee claims page-it still says that my claim is yet to be processed.I have also sent them a couple of emails about this but it has been of no use either.

I wonder why are they acting like this-if by any chance the window to return the defective product to the seller expires,can they refuse to honor the guarantee claim and deny my request for a replacement or refund?Is there anything i can do to force them to take immediate steps to resolve this situation and avoid further delays?

Last edited:
Top Bottom