Is there any way for user to know that his PC is hit by Ransom ware?

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Hi,
I was just wondering.. is there any way for a user to know that his Windows PC is under attack by ransom ware?
Basically any instances like high CPU usage, unknown processes in the task manager or any noticeable indicators that the file encryption is underway?
And if so is there any way to recover or prevent further damage by any way before it's too late?
Thx.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most visible indicator of a ransomware is rename/deletion of files after encryption so something like below to continuously monitor priority target folders(my documents,my downloads,my music,my videos) of ransomware may be useful.
10 Tools to Monitor Files and Folders for Changes in Real Time • Raymond.CC

Only way to stop further damage by a ransomware is to shutdown the system,take out the hdd & connect it to another fully clean updated system with latest AV & copy all the non-encrypted data from non-OS/C drive & from important folders in C drive like my documents etc.

Hrishi

If you leave your PC at ideal, and there are basically no updates or resource intensive tasks that you know of are ongoing... The Disk utilization should be very minimal if not zero.
Given a ransomware, it pretty encrypts your data and to do so, if will require huge disk read/write and CPU cycles. An abnormal high disk utilization can be an indication of a ransom ware or a malware.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom