Is my pc infected?

ratul

█████████████████
MBAB?? I just dont the hang of the abbreviations..:ashamed:

MBAM bro, not MBAB.. :p
MBAM: MalwareBytes AnitMalware.
And a tkin suggested, pair it with avast or avira, and you'll be good to go, i have KIS+MBAM in my lappy.. :)

josin

In the zone
Yeah its called Sandbox. Avast have that too. :)

:)

Bet you haven't seen this virtual kiosk.jpg....Its an advance form of sandbox (kind of ...like you can call a maruti 800 and a Bugatti Veyron as CARs but the similarity end there)

@josin,zero day viruses/exploits are very costly/effective aka kind of like nukes & you don't use nukes against local street gangs now,do you?zero day attacks are targeted towards highly valuable targets like govt installations(or in case of China,Dalai Lama offices :) ),fortune 500 companies etc & there is almost zero chance that people like you or me will ever see a zero day virus/exploit.

always keep your OS updated along with java(better uninstall it unless absolutely necessary),flash(try to use only on trusted site with default behaviour as blocked),MS office & adobe acrobat(my advice ditch it altogether & use sumatra pdf).if you don't do this then no AV can help you.

now-a-days you don't need to download viruses.simply open a page(& i mean just open,no clicks etc) & if your system has some vulnerability(like those i mentioned above) your pc will get infected by an almost untraceable rootkit.

No..... A Zero day virus is a previously unknown computer virus or other malware for which specific antivirus software signatures are not yet available. It not only targets big corps buy you too...Google it and you can find some websites where you can download zero day threats( you can even visit live malware websites too), and if you know how to use vmware you can test them with your Av soft. Once you have done that and seen those live malware websites you can understand that they are not targeting high value customers but normal people.
you are not getting my point i think. Updating your OS wont ensure protection either since no OS is perfect and that why there are updates. Its a fact that Av soft wares alone cant protect you, that why we people uses multi-layered security softs( aka av+firewall+sanbox+ signature detection etc)
and my point was there is no sense in paying to Av companies, use free ones instead. The free ones offer equal or more protection than the paid ones.

Last edited:

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
how do i get the full version of MBAM?? The one whose link is there is a trial one for 13 days...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^that is a very limited & misleading definition of zero-day exploit.a zero-day exploit is not dependent on anti-virus software definition update but the vulnerability in program/OS.here is a link for you about the infamous zero-day java exploit:
Zero-Day Java vulnerability wreaks havoc on computers worldwide | Malwarebytes Unpacked
it is called zero-day because it is the 1st instance of this exploit.as soon as it is released on web it becomes known & loses its zero-day definition.note that oracle released a patch for this exploit within 72 hours after it it is first known on web.
also read this:
Another Java Zero-Day Vulnerability Hits Black Market - Security -
What does a starting price of $5,000 buy? "The hacker forum admin's message ... promised weaponized and source code versions of the exploit. This seller also said his Java 0day -- in the latest version of Java (Java 7 Update 11) -- was not yet part of any exploit kits," said Krebs.
& that is just the starting bid & considering that even $10000 exploit packs didn't have this exploit at that time you can easily guess what would be the selling price of this exploit(at least $20000 or more in my opinion).now tell me if you have acquired such an exploit after spending this much amount of money & know that after releasing it on web it will get fixed within 48-72 hours who would you use it against.some ordinary joe doing one or two few hundred $ transactions in a week or some fortune 500 company/investment firm doing million $ transactions daily on their pc systems.

those sites you mention from where you can download "zero-day" virus/exploits are nothing but gimmick.like i said above zero-day is useless once it is released on web within a few hours.no professional hacker worth his/her salt will even visit those so called sites supplying "zero-day" viruses.these zero-day exploits go for thousands of $ on such underground message boards/forums that none of us had or will ever be able to even visit.stop thinking too much & just use the real world common sense.no one is going to use a team of navy seals to kidnap you if you are a mere mortal who does not possess critical state secrets.if you are an average joe & keep your pc updated with all os/java/flash etc patches & a good free antivirus like avast & doesn't click on random links promising $5 iphone you will be safe.

josin

In the zone
^^that is a very limited & misleading definition of zero-day exploit.a zero-day exploit is not dependent on anti-virus software definition update but the vulnerability in program/OS.here is a link for you about the infamous zero-day java exploit:
Zero-Day Java vulnerability wreaks havoc on computers worldwide | Malwarebytes Unpacked
it is called zero-day because it is the 1st instance of this exploit.as soon as it is released on web it becomes known & loses its zero-day definition.note that oracle released a patch for this exploit within 72 hours after it it is first known on web.
also read this:
Another Java Zero-Day Vulnerability Hits Black Market - Security -

& that is just the starting bid & considering that even $10000 exploit packs didn't have this exploit at that time you can easily guess what would be the selling price of this exploit(at least $20000 or more in my opinion).now tell me if you have acquired such an exploit after spending this much amount of money & know that after releasing it on web it will get fixed within 48-72 hours who would you use it against.some ordinary joe doing one or two few hundred $ transactions in a week or some fortune 500 company/investment firm doing million $ transactions daily on their pc systems.

those sites you mention from where you can download "zero-day" virus/exploits are nothing but gimmick.like i said above zero-day is useless once it is released on web within a few hours.no professional hacker worth his/her salt will even visit those so called sites supplying "zero-day" viruses.these zero-day exploits go for thousands of $ on such underground message boards/forums that none of us had or will ever be able to even visit.stop thinking too much & just use the real world common sense.no one is going to use a team of navy seals to kidnap you if you are a mere mortal who does not possess critical state secrets.if you are an average joe & keep your pc updated with all os/java/flash etc patches & a good free antivirus like avast & doesn't click on random links promising $5 iphone you will be safe.

You are still missing the point. My point was only this. Why pay for av software if you can get better for free

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer

And don't ask where to get the pro, it never works ;)

Up there.
This is the trial one.. Installed it in the morning and it says, "Trial-13 days remaining"..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^when you installed it did you click the "decline" button or "start trial" button when the message box came up asking "would you like to start the trial?".

@josin,actually you missed my point.my point was that zero day threats are almost never faced by normal users & for such users using a free AV like avast running updated with all os/java/flash patches etc is good enough.zero day attacks are almost infallible & no matter what security setup you use you will get infected/affected if hit by those hence their selling price of thousands of $.

josin

In the zone
You are a life saver brother..:D

Thanks everyone( tkin, josin)..

well if you have VMware, install an OS (9xp sp3/win7) on it install your favorite Av soft/internet security suite and live test malware/virus on it just like in this video and choose the best one by yourself.You will know How to get samples( do it just for testing)

^^when you installed it did you click the "decline" button or "start trial" button when the message box came up asking "would you like to start the trial?".

@josin,actually you missed my point.my point was that zero day threats are almost never faced by normal users & for such users using a free AV like avast running updated with all os/java/flash patches etc is good enough.zero day attacks are almost infallible & no matter what security setup you use you will get infected/affected if hit by those hence their selling price of thousands of $.

google malwaredomainlist. Then you can find so many zero day viruses which are out there targeting common users

Edit: if the modes feel that i am providing information about dangerous websites please feel free to delete this post. My objective was only to provide the Op to find the best method to find out a better Av/security software by himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom