Installing Kali

aal-ok

Demon king
I tried dual booting Kali linux on my hp au111tx with windows 10 64 bit, i could install the OS successfully but couldn't add an entry via EasyBCD, the portion was greyed out. like this:-
*gyazo.com/5df608c63d49fe105f899cc9a1b57142.png
Gyazo - 5df608c63d49fe105f899cc9a1b57142.png

I also got this warning message while opening EasyBCD
*gyazo.com/655eaa78d826e16f7bd19b956d90c1b3.png
Gyazo - 655eaa78d826e16f7bd19b956d90c1b3.png

in order to boot into the setup from my usb drive, i had to disable legacy mode(or enable, don't actually remember) but i reverted it after installation.
any help?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
From what I understand from the error thrown by EasyBCD, your system has EFI enabled which EasyBCD does not support.
If you are new to Linux installation in general, you could try installing on a VM first, you can install without having to worry about partitions or boot managers.
Otherwise, you can install directly on your machine by booting from the USB drive, if Kali linux has a GUI installer, it should provide you with the options to setup the boot manager during installation, including dual booting with Windows.

OP
aal-ok

aal-ok

Demon king
i
From what I understand from the error thrown by EasyBCD, your system has EFI enabled which EasyBCD does not support.
If you are new to Linux installation in general, you could try installing on a VM first, you can install without having to worry about partitions or boot managers.
Otherwise, you can install directly on your machine by booting from the USB drive, if Kali linux has a GUI installer, it should provide you with the options to setup the boot manager during installation, including dual booting with Windows.
don't think i saw any options to dual boot with windows while installing kali, and can you please simplify :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I will have to install Kali and see, I have never used it so I am not familiar with its installer. But generally all distros these days support dual booting with Windows.
But then again, installing in a VM like VirtualBox is much simpler than installing on your actual hard drive.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
If Kali installed successfully, it would have created a boot entry (an .efi)file on the EFI partition.
Try manually creating a new Boot entry in UEFI Firmware (traditionally still being referred as BIOS) and point to the Kali's boot efi file and first manually check if you can successfully boot in Kali by manually selecting that boot entry from the UEFI Firmware.
If everything is successful, you can opt for third party UEFI Boot managers like rEFInd and install the same on EFI partition and configure a new boot entry pointing to the same. rEFInd shall scan your GPT drive for all OSs and list them when it first runs allowing you to choose the intended OS.

Refer Google for how to access EFI partition on Windows. As it's normally hidden in Explorer as it does not have a mount letter by default.

IMP - You may need to disable Secure Boot in UEFI Firmware for Kali to boot successfully. I am not too sure if your laptop comes with supporting keys meant for Linux distros to pass secure boot check on Windows 10 Laptop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom