India has exam system, not education system

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
BANGALORE/MUMBAI: In the thick of the entrance exam season, a furious dispatch to the Prime Minister from his own scientific adviser has termed such tests as one big menace.

Strongly recommending an immediate halt to the system of sitting for a pile of exams, C N R Rao, who heads the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (SACPM), said in a letter sent last week that the American method of holding one national exam before joining university is the way.

Putting it bluntly, Rao told the PM that India is said to "have an examination system but not an education system... When will young people stop taking exams and do something worthwhile?"

Referring to the exam overdrive, Rao briefed Manmohan Singh on the various flavours of examinations that dot a student's life: "It is important to relook the entire examination system including the system of final examinations, entrance examinations, qualifying examinations, selection examinations, and so on. Now one hears of a proposal to have a qualifying or accreditation examination for medical graduates and post-graduates."

Students who groan under the pressure of multiple entrance exams will cheer this advice. Citing the example of Joint Entrance Examination conducted by IIT, he said: "IIT entrance exams have the reputation of being difficult and purposeful, but they have also had a negative effect on young minds. Young people suffer so much to succeed in these entrance exams, and in the process lose excitement in education itself."

The lakhs who don't make it across the IIT gates, Rao told the PM, get exhausted and can't perform as well as young people with fresh minds.

Talking about the agony that the Indian higher education sector is in, the SACPM, in a brief document sent to the PM recently — accessed by TOI — noted, "Today there is not a single educational institution in India which is equal to the best institution in the advanced countries".

In view of the growing number of aspirants for higher education, the SACPM has readied a 10-point checklist of key problems and challenges. It has asked the human resources development ministry to set up a taskforce to come up with an action-oriented document within a year.

"We should seriously consider a possible scenario wherein the young India advantage enables India to emerge as the provider of trained manpower for the entire world in the next 20-30 years. This could be a worthwhile national objective," he told the PM.

Rao's checklist for higher education include:

Raising the bar: Provide all required support to 10 educational institutions to enable them to compete with the best in advanced countries

Look ahead: There's a manpower mismatch in many countries with too many professionals in some subjects. Prepare a vision document which foresees the problems 20 years hence

Inclusivity: Increase the number of fully residential schools up to higher secondary level in rural India to nurture rural talent

'India has exam system, not education system' - The Times of India

Whats your take?:idea:

Piyush

Lanaya
this was indeed a well said statement and of course, a fact
if we keep schooling days aside, what can we expect from our edu system?
i agree that there are enough colleges but where are the quality ones?
the whole country is filled with engg colleges
seems like our country is in the need of only engineers
there are very few good colleges for medical side
but wait...we have so many colleges in medical side...but they are mostly dental colleges
looks like our teeth are the top priority
with so much population in our country, we still are not able to prove the world that we can be a power in the world
when we say that India will be the most dominating nation in 2030s/2040s...we say that on the basis of our economy...poor people are getting poorer and rich people are getting richer

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Spot on.

Our education system is full of outdated crap that, and discourages innovation and forces students to go towards rote education. Plagarism is rampant and students are encouraged to copy assignments, and copy paste projects in a rat race to get marks rather than learning or participating in projects and training. Students are only expected to sit and attend classes whether it will do good or not, rather than giving them freedom to be working on papers or projects if they wish so.

Just crap exams are there, where students are expected just to fill sheets and nothing else. Marks are allocated like random in government universities, while in case of private autonomous colleges, half of them offer extra marks to help their students.

Engineering is complete bullshit, and just produces lakhs of dumbtards year after year, not exactly their fault but they are misguided to the core by the so called "teachers" most of whom are clueless with their own subjects, and the books and the course they are based on is completely out of date, bordering on looking like retarded in this time. Heck the best of colleges select the streams or course based on knowledge of some selected subjects, rather than testing for the aptitude in the respective stream. Thus most students and parents are involved in a rat-race to get admission to best colleges, and there comes the those bloody coaching institutes, which are in actuality a business than anything else.

Education is rampant with corruption and money-laundering, private colleges are in a race to get admissions and cheat students with their lies about "100% placement" among other crap, and just fill their campuses with students more than their infrastructure can handle. In other places there are like 2 room colleges which don't even fulfill the basic needs of students. And there are crappy government colleges, filled with corrupt staff, and is just a place of politics. Exam delays, paper leaks, and what not?
A Microscopic minority of colleges may be good but they can't touch best of universities in the world by a longshot.

But what can one expect, heck even the CBSE which should actually work well barely updates its syllabi with subject matter being same outdated crap.

Many Europeans and Americans just call India a factory for producing clueless graduates, and the sad thing is they are dead right.

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Spot on.

Our education system is full of outdated crap that, and discourages innovation and forces students to go towards rote education. Plagarism is rampant and students are encouraged to copy assignments, and copy paste projects in a rat race to get marks rather than learning or participating in projects and training. Students are only expected to sit and attend classes whether it will do good or not, rather than giving them freedom to be working on papers or projects if they wish so.

Just crap exams are there, where students are expected just to fill sheets and nothing else. Marks are allocated like random in government universities, while in case of private autonomous colleges, half of them offer extra marks to help their students.

Engineering is complete bullshit, and just produces lakhs of dumbtards year after year, not exactly their fault but they are misguided to the core by the so called "teachers" most of whom are clueless with their own subjects, and the books and the course they are based on is completely out of date, bordering on looking like retarded in this time. Heck the best of colleges select the streams or course based on knowledge of some selected subjects, rather than testing for the aptitude in the respective stream. Thus most students and parents are involved in a rat-race to get admission to best colleges, and there comes the those bloody coaching institutes, which are in actuality a business than anything else.

Education is rampant with corruption and money-laundering, private colleges are in a race to get admissions and cheat students with their lies about "100% placement" among other crap, and just fill their campuses with students more than their infrastructure can handle. In other places there are like 2 room colleges which don't even fulfill the basic needs of students. And there are crappy government colleges, filled with corrupt staff, and is just a place of politics. Exam delays, paper leaks, and what not?
A Microscopic minority of colleges may be good but they can't touch best of universities in the world by a longshot.

But what can one expect, heck even the CBSE which should actually work well barely updates its syllabi with subject matter being same outdated crap.

Many Europeans and Americans just call India a factory for producing clueless graduates, and the sad thing is they are dead right.

+1 agree...even i have gone though this feeling in engineering

but its parents pressure in that makes you to join the race ....me being middle class cant risk cos we have to support parents after they retire...
and society that guides you on what is famous....all this confuses students for taking risk in career they aspire :x

D

Deleted member 26636

i am not a graduate & maybe i never will be...i gave up engg. after two months of joining to pursue a course that truly inspired & motivated me. Something that i was always passionate about. my parents were also supportive so i guess i was lucky.i also do not plan on going to an office & staying in a job for the rest of my life. i am not bragging but i believe if you know what you want to do, you can always do it...but you need a well formed plan. hard work does not equal success but smart hard work does. you have to know why you are doing what you are doing. most graduates in india are a result of people not knowing what they want to do & joining any course that his friend or neighbor is pursuing or talks about. this needs to change. people should utilise their time to think of something new instead of staying buried in books & appearing for all the exams in the world just because everyone else is doing it.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
i am in midst of these engineering entrances and feeling the same. i can't do anything new nowadays in the fear that i might not get C.Sc in a good college if i don't get my PCM right for these exams.

When you ask many of my classmates - "What do you want to do?"
most of them say - "I wanaa crack IIT-JEE" and no plans for future. the system is forcing students to think short-term with no long term aims and goals. there is a friend of my dad whose son recently cracked IIT-JEE. the guy(my dad's friend) is very annoying and i feel like hitting him whenever he talks to me giving free advice. he says to me - "Get through IIT and then get a 50lakh job, get married and take your wife to switzerland". he also criticized my "love for computer" as useless and said that it wont help me get a "good job".

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^^ even i comprised computer science seat in a avg collg for a electrical engg seat in top college...but i regret cos i loved cs so much but had to compromise for colg..but in the end i realised its ur interest thats important...not degree...we can be enterpreneurs if we have a real passion n vision

iit guys don't get 50lk job...may be 5lk to 12lk...the avg a iima cand gets is 18-25lk...50lk is myth

nims11

BIOS Terminator
branches should be allotted on basis of aptitude of a particular student towards that subject. i know its difficult to implement but something can obviously be done.

i feel weird by that wont be getting C.Sc in IIT even though i feel like crossing the cutoff because a guy with a 3 digit rank has scored more than me in PCM.

^^ even i comprised computer science seat in a avg collg for a electrical engg seat in top college...but i regret cos i loved cs so much but had to compromise for colg..but in the end i realised its ur interest thats important...not degree...we can be enterpreneurs if we have a real passion n vision

iit guys don't get 50lk job...may be 5lk to 12lk...the avg a iima cand gets is 18-25lk...50lk is myth

i was tempted to point that out in front of that "guy". :)

D

Deleted member 26636

i am in midst of these engineering entrances and feeling the same. i can't do anything new nowadays in the fear that i might not get C.Sc in a good college if i don't get my PCM right for these exams.

When you ask many of my classmates - "What do you want to do?"
most of them say - "I wanaa crack IIT-JEE" and no plans for future. the system is forcing students to think short-term with no long term aims and goals. there is a friend of my dad whose son recently cracked IIT-JEE. the guy(my dad's friend) is very annoying and i feel like hitting him whenever he talks to me giving free advice. he says to me - "Get through IIT and then get a 50lakh job, get married and take your wife to switzerland". he also criticized my "love for computer" as useless and said that it wont help me get a "good job".

this is a matter of great concern...if you loved Computer Science, you should have thought about what you can do with it instead of worrying about the college & getting a job. if you have to learn PCM for this, consider it as paying your dues or a sacrifice. once you get in you should worry about your long term plans instead of thinking about getting a job & marrying a girl & settling down. india has so much potential that is being wasted. break the system. as the great poet percy bysshe shelley once said " Everyone is gifted. but some people never open their package ". this is exactly whats going on in our country.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
No need to regret. CS Engineering is shite, and you learn absolutely nought by the "courseware". Speaking from erm ...Experience. :)

nims11

BIOS Terminator
No need to regret. CS Engineering is shite, and you learn absolutely nought by the "courseware". Speaking from erm ...Experience. :)

i heard from many that they dont teach well in college and i have prepared myself so that i can atleast learn things on my own if i get C.Sc!!

abhijangda

Padawan
The main problem is that everyone wants to get fame, everyone wants to get popular. And for engineers, it is easy if you get admission in any of IITs or NITs. All think that when they will get into these institutions they will be very popular in their locality and hence will easily be able to get a girl friend also will get good placement. Even parents think so. If this would change then everything will change.

axes2t2

I am a cat
The main problem is the thinking of today.

It's like if you don't have a proper degree you are worthless/useless.

Top Bottom