IIIT - Hyderebad (CSE) vs IIT Kanpur (CS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RizEon

Broken In
IIT kanpur...no doubts about that...
3 things:
1. The brand value- u go 2 college for a gud salary, being in IIT guarantees a better salary than IIIT in 70% cases...sumthng called blue blood, the HR know u r there cuz u performed better than 5 lakh others(sum of whom will join hyderabad)

2. Half the things u learn wud b frm ur hostel life...the entreprenuer skills n inspiration ul draw frm the Top AIR guy 2 rooms is unmatched

3. If u made it through, uve earned it....stuff like that is not 2 let go

i have AIR 2882 in JEE and 3173 in AIEEE, 336 marks in BITSAT(that guarantees almost any branch at pilani) but i left it all and I've just filled the admission fee for IIT Kanpur, material sciences and metallurgy..

NOTE: I know i dont have a very good rank, but I have a couple dozen IITian frnz including a handful of india toppers(all my classmates qualified) and i can tell what it means to crack JEE..

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
congrats RizEon. 2882 is very good rank in JEE, all the best for your future. I hope you make it big in your life. :)

And you decision to join IIT Kanpur MS&M is correct.

Scientia Wiz

In Shameful Misery
I will recommend that if one wants to make his or her career in the sector of IT then IIIT Hyderabad would be the best choice and if they want to make career in electronics, communication and other sciences then the IIT Kanpur or the other IIT's would be the well and good !

Do anybody know the mode of admission in IIIT Hyderabad and the cutoff mark of it then please let me know !

RizEon

Broken In
congrats RizEon. 2882 is very good rank in JEE, all the best for your future. I hope you make it big in your life. :)

And you decision to join IIT Kanpur MS&M is correct.

thanks buddy :)
actually metallurgy wasnt my 1st choice...
But then m not vry sure about continuing in technical field...so for other stuff (eg MBA) ,college matters bigtime, so i chose kanpur.....nothings better than going for a core branch at an elite college... ;)

@scietia wiz
check out ccb.nic.in for last few years trends...ul find sumthng useful...
Admissions thru aieee.

krishnaiiit

Right off the assembly line
I think placement of iiit hyderabad is also comparable to iit. This cse average is 9.85 lakhs, with highest placement of 1,30,000 dollars in google mountain view.Also, every year iiit hyderabad is only team who is able to make to world final of ACM-ICPC consistently.
for placement detail:
International Institute of Information Technology

lugia

I think before deciding which one is better,you must be sure of what u are comparing it for.
Someone really interested in CS would go for either of of the two things research,from which the discussion started, or knowledge.
As far as research is concerned,IITs send many students abroad and also within the country for summer internship and projects,something u cannot say aboout IIIT-H.Also the number of students getting scholarships for higher studies in IITs is much higher.Agreed It includes students from other branches too,but the number of students pursuing CS in each IITs barely crosses 100.

And as far as knowledge goes, the professors in IITs are much more experienced,though they could be similarly qualified as in IIIT, as IITs are much older then IIIT.

Even ignoring these aspects the quality of students going to IITs is much more better than in IIIT.And if u still say curriculum of IIIT is better and so is its CS,do you want to say its the books makes the course better than the teacher and the students studying it?

krishnaiiit

Many students from iiit also go for research in foreign universities like CMU, yale, oxford etc in summer or do internship in companies like google, amazon,microsoft etc.

Now regarding professor , iiit has more than 50 professor only for CSE done PHD from various prestigious universities specialized in various sub branches of CSE.And it does not mean that if university is young professor does not have experience. Many of them has been teaching even before the opening of IIIT.

In IIIT also all cse students are below 2000 rank in AIEEE . Most of them have decent rank in IIT too.So there is not much difference. Any how IIIT students qualify for ACM ICPC every year , and even in major coding sites IIIT is at top, ahead of IITs.

Regarding Curriculum , Curriculum does not means book, but courses offered. No of different courses offered in IIIT is much higher and diverse than those of IIT. Even the methodology of teaching courses is much more research oriented and better.

OP
KDroid

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
@krishna: very well said...

Okay, let me make it clear... I am far more interested in CSE than CS...

Now tell me which one is better!

lugia

if the cs branch of IIIT hyderabad closes on 2500,CS of IITs closes under hundred,see the following link,all the (X)010 are CS's pening closing ranking,Joint Entrance Examination - 2011 so there is vast difference in the level of students.And since all the tech companies knows these differences,u decide who gets better projects
And courses offered in IIIT-H are similar in both the institutes.
As far as curriculam is concerned,IITs update them more frequently tha any other institutes in India.
Maybe the salary part doesn't concern you,but the companies know this and hire the best talents,and you know where they get them.

OP
KDroid

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
FYI, IIIT Hyderabad does not offer CS branch. It offers CSE & ECE only!

Now compare any of the IIT's CSE course to IIIT Hyderabad!

krishnaiiit

tech companies do not recruit on the basis of there jee rank, but on the basis of subject knowledge earned in 4 years. As IIIT H top in every coding contests and even in research fields , so they have better knowledge in cse than those of iit. This fact is know to all tech companies . This year iiit h cse avg placement in cse is 9.85 lakhs. with highest placement of 1,30,000 dollars in google mountain view. second highest placement is of 1,15,000 dollaars in facebook.Other major recruiter are google india,microsoft,yahoo,ibm,amazon,direct i,oracle,nvidia etc. So,placement statistics is also better than iit.

Course is more updated and research oriented in iiit . Curriculum can be checked on site of the institutes.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess this thread has run its course. Opinions vary but the Indian mentality doesn't.

Choose and go for what you feel is best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom