HP Pavilion G6 2005AX Review and Benchmarks

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
it says below . Did you get the no below that line . Registration no and redemption no could be diff .. By the way i wanted to ask something you had to tune your temp to 5700k . My came with 6200k . Max limit is 10k .
So will 10k give me the best picture quality . Any cons on using it at 10k

and if i only want to use dgpu how to do that .could not find switchable graphics option.

ahh there is one more serial no slip with bar code stuck on the plastic cover
it is 11 digits
the first 10 digits are serial no and the 11 digit is letter " C "

now i am wondering should i send that sticker or the box one..

Nope, no other code in the e-mail.

I think mine too came at 6200k. I found the colors at 5700k more to my liking- it's all a matter of personal preference - set it to what you think is best!

Guys, I'm having second thoughts about sending money and details to these guys for the extended warranty - look at a complaint listed here

Any TDF members successfully got their warranty from them?

rish1

Cyborg Agent
yeah bro there are lot of complaints
but they reply to them also in some cases

h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/my-demand-draft-of-rs-1133-for-extended-warrenty-of-dv6-7010tx/td-p/1459217
this warranty process is a long process. Aakash told us he had redeemed a camera like this on compaq.

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
yeah bro there are lot of complaints
but they reply to them also in some cases

h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/my-demand-draft-of-rs-1133-for-extended-warrenty-of-dv6-7010tx/td-p/1459217
this warranty process is a long process. Aakash told us he had redeemed a camera like this on compaq.

I have submitted the registration form and mailed them also (when calling the helpline no. in the laptop sticker for extended warranty, automated response is to write e-mail to them. Let's see if there is any response from them....

@Neuron, I have run the GPU benchmark and here is the result printed to the log file (I have a doubt, does this benchmark use the settings set by us in the game's main menu or does it have its own preset settings?):

Code:
==============================================================
TimeDemo Play Started , (Total Frames: 2000, Recorded Time: 111.86s)
!TimeDemo Run 0 Finished.
    Play Time: 63.28s, Average FPS: 31.60
    Min FPS: 15.23 at frame 156, Max FPS: 51.98 at frame 1596
    Average Tri/Sec: 24948600, Tri/Frame: 789394
    Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 1.16
!TimeDemo Run 1 Finished.
    Play Time: 56.13s, Average FPS: 35.63
    Min FPS: 15.23 at frame 156, Max FPS: 54.70 at frame 1605
    Average Tri/Sec: 28498706, Tri/Frame: 799777
    Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 1.15
!TimeDemo Run 2 Finished.
    Play Time: 56.59s, Average FPS: 35.34
    Average Tri/Sec: 28257980, Tri/Frame: 799503
!TimeDemo Run 3 Finished.
    Play Time: 56.80s, Average FPS: 35.21
    Average Tri/Sec: 28155822, Tri/Frame: 799656
TimeDemo Play Ended, (4 Runs Performed)
==============================================================

@ rish, this is the back pack sent by flipkart

Front
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/Photo-0015.jpg

HP Logo looks nice and you can take out your headphones with your music player inside

*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/Photo-0013.jpg

Rear
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/Photo-0014.jpg

Laptop fitted snugly inside, also there are lots of pockets inside and at the front for keeping accessories like mouse etc

*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/Photo-0017.jpg

This pic is more indicative of actual colour of the bag

*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/Photo-0019.jpg

model no.
*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/Photo-0009.jpg

@ Sam, I have run the Battery eater test - put the power mode into high performance, disabled autopoweroff, put the brightness to maximum and ran the test - here are the results

*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/Discharge.gif

Started the test @ 7:27pm, went below 10% at around 8:47pm upon which it automatically hibernated (hence in the graph, it is not shown drained to 100%, test stopped when laptop went below 10% and went to hibernate)

rish1

Cyborg Agent
lol i didn't expected you would do a complete review of the bag also.
Yeah me too got the same bag..

ohh you forgot to mention the benchmarks for the bag... Lol

just last thing can you run a 3dmark11 of 7670m alone without crossfire . Want to see how much performance will this graphic card give with a8 against core i5 and 7670m inspiron 15r.
And also tell me how did you use 7670m alone..

and let us know whether you are accepting the warranty offer and barcode you will be sending..

A JUMBO Thanks for putting in a lot of time and efforts for doing this review..

Neuron

Electronic.
@Neuron, I have run the GPU benchmark and here is the result printed to the log file (I have a doubt, does this benchmark use the settings set by us in the game's main menu or does it have its own preset settings?):

Hey ,thanks.It runs with the settings specified by the user in the game .It would be good of you to post them along with that results.

anu33unni

Right off the assembly line
Wow.....thanks for this indepth review.
BTW, could you just confirm if "PSCHECK" actually works on A8-4500M. As of now, its the only known tool capable of assisting in overclocking Piledriver based processors.:razz:

AMD PSCHECK 3.4.1
I already know for sure that A10-4600M can be overclocked.
Base clock 2.3ghz to constant 2.73ghz
*img26.imageshack.us/img26/6161/a10pscheck.jpg
And if possible, benchmark the system, after overclocking.
Tried yet ???

ankit j

awesome review given by games goblin...
hello..i m a software student and m planning to buy a new laptop your review just cleared all my doubts.
i wud just like to compare hp pavilion g6 2005ax with
AS5755G-2333G50Mnks | Product Model and
Buy Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop [Core i3/ 3GB/ 320GB/ 1GB NVIDIA] In Noida, Delhi, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Faridabad INDIA
i m not a game freak do casual gaming just tell me which laptop is comparatively better...
i like to listen music nd do multimedia like to play with softwares nd in future will develop one too.. plz let me know which will be most suited for me my budget is around 35k.
i just wanna make it clear the thing i buy shud be satisfactory...
i didnt had amd exp before so n totally confused wid this...
rply as soon as possible...

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
ljust last thing can you run a 3dmark11 of 7670m alone without crossfire . Want to see how much performance will this graphic card give with a8 against core i5 and 7670m inspiron 15r.
And also tell me how did you use 7670m alone..

Hi Rish, as far as I can tell, there is no way to use the 7670M Dedicated Graphics alone. There is option for APU alone or APU+7670M crossfired, but I can't find a setting for running the 7670 alone.

and let us know whether you are accepting the warranty offer and barcode you will be sending..

I sent a mail to them asking for clarification on how to avail of this offer, if I am eligible etc and got a reply today

Dear Sir,

Please refer to the below link with regard to the scheme details.

*hp.com/in/peaceofmind

:pan: I quoted this link to them in the first mail asking if Im eligible for the offer and they send me back the link!! :duh2:

Anyways, sent them another e-mail asking about the redemption code and if it's same as the registration code sent by them

A JUMBO Thanks for putting in a lot of time and efforts for doing this review..

No problemo rish, glad I could be of help to anyone deciding on a purchase

Hey ,thanks.It runs with the settings specified by the user in the game .It would be good of you to post them along with that results.

Hi Neuron, it used same settings as I posted above

*i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/games_goblin/Pavilion%20G6%202005%20AX/SettingsUsed2.jpg

Tried yet ???

Hi anu33unni, will try this out, currently I'm not home right now - will do once I reach back

Buy Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop [Core i3/ 3GB/ 320GB/ 1GB NVIDIA] In Noida, Delhi, Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Faridabad INDIA
i m not a game freak do casual gaming just tell me which laptop is comparatively better...
i like to listen music nd do multimedia like to play with softwares nd in future will develop one too.. plz let me know which will be most suited for me my budget is around 35k.

Hi ankit j welcome to thinkdigit forums!!,

both laptops listed by you is using sandy bridge with Acer having stronger graphics. If you can hold your purchase a bit longer, the new ivy bridge models with HD4000 graphics would be a good bet, since you stated that gaming is not a top priority for you (form what I've gathered, the HD4000 is a big improvement over the previous one + you listen to music - the 2005 AX's speakers for listening to music is not among one of it's strong points - also your requirement is leaning more towards applications usage and development - I'm feeling intel will be better in this regard (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would suggest you post you query and requirements here, using this questionnaire to get expert reccomendations

Last edited:

akbsol

Broken In
awesome review given by games goblin...
hello..i m a software student and m planning to buy a new laptop your review just cleared all my doubts.

Software development, multimedia (if you aren't into heavy HD encoding stuff or 3D work n like that) and playing with software can be easily done even on a pentium 2nd gen dual core. If the casual gaming part gonna require playing contemporary games like Cysis2 etc in good settings at times, then only you will be needing a laptop with dedicate GFX otherwise you will be better of buying a laptop with integrated graphics saving money and increasing battery backup. Even HD 3000 can play most of the games in medium to low settings. And as GG mentioned HD 4000 of 3rd gen core i processors is must better than its predecessors. Some reviews equate its performance to medium range Nvidia GPUs which is quite a compliment.

As far as the models you listed are concerned, Acer does have the advantage of having a USB 3.0 port.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, if anyone is buying a laptop with AMD GPU and uses Photoediting apps, I'd request everyone to consider the difference OpenCL is making and shall make in filters.

Benchmark Results: Photoshop CS6 : Can OpenGL And OpenCL Overhaul Your Photo Editing Experience? <-- the difference OpenCL acceleration from GPU makes.

Benchmark Results: GIMP : Can OpenGL And OpenCL Overhaul Your Photo Editing Experience? <-- GIMP will soon also be OpenCL accelerated.

Benchmark Results: OpenCL : AMD Trinity On The Desktop: A10, A8, And A6 Get Benchmarked! <-- even WinZip gets faster by using OpenCL.

vinayty

I just tried changing my theme and realized that there is no option to create personalized themes.

right click on the desktop and the personalize option isn't there.Any fix for this issue?

akbsol

Broken In
I just tried changing my theme and realized that there is no option to create personalized themes.

right click on the desktop and the personalize option isn't there.Any fix for this issue?

Windows 7 Home Basic which comes installed with this laptop doesn't have personalization, themes and aero features. These are reserved by MS for Ultimate and other higher versions. There are some workarounds though:

Download Personalization Panel 2.5 Free - Customize the appearance of your Windows 7 Home Basic or Starter - Softpedia

OP
G

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Windows 7 Home Basic which comes installed with this laptop doesn't have personalization, themes and aero features. These are reserved by MS for Ultimate and other higher versions. There are some workarounds though:

Download Personalization Panel 2.5 Free - Customize the appearance of your Windows 7 Home Basic or Starter - Softpedia

That is a very good workaround akbsol! thanks for the tip!

Guys, recieved a mail from HP today

Registration code and redemption code both are same thing.

So that's cleared now- the redemption code is the registration code you get when signing up in HP site - so I think I'm gonna send over the docs to them

Also, found the serial no. of the laptop - it's under the battery :wink:

anoopjylive

Broken In
Hey bro,
First congos on the wonderful review.And the awesome machine you got there.I too have been in search of a lap and came across this one in flipkart but was skeptical at first especially the HP heating problem and the APU + GPU combination.But googled and found some awesome reviews here in the forum.And without a second thought joined the forum right away. :-D And extremely happy with all the reviews here.Esp your and 'AKBSOL's' review (here)..
Infact you even reviewed the backpack.. lol..
Anyway a lot of useful information too from the threads.Special thanks to 'SAM' and 'RISH'

shar_yogi

Broken In
@Games Goblin, thnks for the review it helped me buy me my first laptop bought it yesterday from Delhi.

Can you please help me to shrink and create a new partition from C drive, tried from disk management but unable , as it shows 4 primary partition already their.

anoopjylive

Broken In
@Games Goblin, thnks for the review it helped me buy me my first laptop bought it yesterday from Delhi.
First congos on your purchase bro.Where did you buy from? Nehru place? Which store and please quote the price and also goodies you received along.Also it woud be nice if you could post some pics :)

Can you please help me to shrink and create a new partition from C drive, tried from disk management but unable , as it shows 4 primary partition already their.

Bro try using Acronis Disk Director Suite.That is the one i use.And its pretty straight interface too.But how come you already have 4 primary partitions? :-?

shar_yogi

Broken In
Bro try using Acronis Disk Director Suite.That is the one i use.And its pretty straight interface too.But how come you already have 4 primary partitions?

anoopjylive thnks for suggesting Acronis Disk Director Suite will try it

The 4 partition mentioned in the Disk Management are Recovery , C Drive , System and HP_TOOLS.
But in My Computer it shows only C drive and Recovery .

First congos on your purchase bro.Where did you buy from? Nehru place? Which store and please quote the price and also goodies you received along.Also it woud be nice if you could post some pics

Purchased from Laptop World a retailer in NP for Rs. 31,800. The goodies provided a mouse, headphone, a zebronic's cooling pad, cleaning kit and HP Bag

anoopjylive

Broken In
anoopjylive thnks for suggesting Acronis Disk Director Suite will try it

The 4 partition mentioned in the Disk Management are Recovery , C Drive , System and HP_TOOLS.
But in My Computer it shows only C drive and Recovery .
Thats the factory default partitions.The other two are hidden.And only 4 primary partitions are possible at max.Try creating new logical partitions from the available free space in C:

Purchased from Laptop World a retailer in NP for Rs. 31,800. The goodies provided a mouse, headphone, a zebronic's cooling pad, cleaning kit and HP Bag

All the goodies + lap for 31800? cool. (prices gone down? :-? ) And please do post some pics of your machine + definitely goodies. :)

Last edited:

akbsol

Broken In
But how come you already have 4 primary partitions? :-?

That is correct anoop. Laptop comes with weird partitioning leaving you with no scope to create any new partitions. It already has 4 primary:

1. small 100mb Win7's Boot (active) partition
2. Win7's own system partition.
3. recovery partition
4. hp tools partition, for running pre-boot diagnostics

Not going to be a easy job. You have 2 options:

1. Take the risk of merging boot and system partitions into one. Possible but not a straightforward job.

2. Sacrifice either recovery or hp_tools partition for the time being.

I have chosen the second option on my laptop. You can create a backup image of the hp_tools partition using something like:

DriveImage XML Backup Software - Data Recovery Product

and then delete the partition.

If you wish to choose the former option, you can follow the tutorial here:

Removing the 100Mb System Reserved Partition after Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 has been installed | Geeks Hangout

to delete the system reserved 100mb partition.

NOTE:- FOLLOW THE ADVICE AT YOUR OWN RISK PLEASE. I SHOULDN'T BE HELP RESPONSIBLE. :-D

Thats the factory default partitions.The other two are hidden.And only 4 primary partitions are possible at max.Try creating new logical partitions from the available free space in C:

He will not be able to create any logical drives unless he deletes a primary partition to make space for the extended partition area (in which logical drives are created).

prices gone down? :-?

I don't think so. was offered the same plus a 1 year antivirus subscription + CD for rs. 31750. Zebs cooling pads come in the range of rs. 180-1700, they try to give u the cheapest one. I am not sure which one shar_yogi got. Please post a pic of it. But I guess the total cost of these goodies to us would be 500 at best. Those shopkeepers must be procuring these for even lesser. Anyways 31800 is still a very good price if the goodies are useful for shar_yogi.

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
i spent my whole day yesterday trying to figure out the partitions to install windows vista to play halo 2.
Finally i shrink the space from c to that 100 mb partition and extended it and made it 20gb and installed windows in it. Hey guys do you know any way to backup the original windows 7 image of lappy other than that recovery image ? Just the windows..

Top Bottom