How to sideline bad sector

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I have an old desktop on which Windows XP got corrupted for some reason. Even though reinstalled, it is giving BSOD even while installing or using a LIVE CD. Can I assume that it is a bad sector issue. If so, is there any way to sideline the bad sector and just use the ok part of it ? I have Hiren Boot CD with me. Thanks.

ankush28

Bazinga
I think this information is not enough to interpret anything! If possible upload the minidump files for bsod

Ditch the EOL XP is all I'd say now :)

ratul

█████████████████
Try HDD Regenerator, have worked wonders for me in the past.. :D
HDD Regenerator - Dmitriy Primochenko Online

There's always a notion among people that windows is a weak OS, it needs "programs" to do stuff.

Run a command prompt, use this command (assuming windows is on C: drive)

Code:
chkdsk /f C:
this is the de facto solution for a wide variety of HDD problems. If your task is to identify and "relocate" bad sectors use this command instead (assuming your C: drive is NTFS and not FAT32):
Code:
chkdsk /b C:

/f is to fix and /b is an ntfs specific command. I've used chkdsk /f a couple of times with well satisfactory results.

Further down, it comes down to the manufacturer when it is about handling those sectors and "avoiding" them. I assure you, not a single program can save you from this for the longer run (as data is added, those sectors eventually get used). The best advice is to get a new HDD, transfer/reinstall the OS onto it. If at all, use the primary partition for JUST the OS and move everything to another drive (that includes your temp folder, program files, app data, cache, commons).

gameranand

Living to Play
Further down, it comes down to the manufacturer when it is about handling those sectors and "avoiding" them. I assure you, not a single program can save you from this for the longer run (as data is added, those sectors eventually get used). The best advice is to get a new HDD, transfer/reinstall the OS onto it. If at all, use the primary partition for JUST the OS and move everything to another drive (that includes your temp folder, program files, app data, cache, commons).

Thanks. THIS is what I wanted to hear. :)

OP
meetdilip

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Thanks for the repsonses. It so happens that some other hardware issue. I will keep in mind these tips. :)

Top Bottom