How to convince someone to get an Android instead of the iPhone

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
How to convince someone to get an Android instead of the iPhone

T-Mobile, like any other carrier on the planet, would love to offer the iPhone. For whatever reason – money, network demands, or allergies to cutesy icons – T-Mobile USA has failed to secure a deal with Apple to officially deliver the iPhone to its customers. CMO Cole Brodman announced in a blog post yesterday that more than a million T-Mobile customers use the iPhone unofficially, and until his company can support them the proper way, the focus at magenta is to give “customers the best that Android has to offer.”

Our pal Phil at AndroidCentral says Brodman’s words won’t do much to appease the iPhone faithful and we’re inclined to agree. There is nothing you can say to convince an Apple diehard that Android is superior, and the iPhone has too much traction, brand recognition, and quality to convince most people interested in it to change course. However, it’s not impossible.

At my cousin’s wedding in August 2010, practically all the smartphone users had a BlackBerry or iPhone. At a wedding in September 2011, most were snapping pics with EVO 3D’s and Galaxy S’s. Based on data from various research companies and my own experience, “converting” iPhone fans is a tough sell. But convincing new smartphone buyers to forgo iOS for Android is more fruitful.

Having had the Android vs. iPhone debate with my family and friends several times, I’ve noticed a few talking points to always sprinkle in when it comes time to try to advocate for Android.

Mention choice. Over and over again.

The most effective thing that I’ve found in promoting Android is to point out how many different options are out there. An iPhone is an iPhone. An Android is an HTC, Motorola, or LG, etc., so you have plenty of choices to find the right phone. And once you do make that decision, there are thousands of ways to make it yours through apps, wallpapers, launchers, and the like. My phone can look and feel completely different on Thursday than it did on Tuesday. Brodman echoed that sentiment in his post.

Limit the full extent of Android’s features.

Yeah, I know I just told you to talk about choice over and over again, but don’t go overboard. Going too deep into Android’s power can sometimes have the unintended effect of making people feel overwhelmed. That can send folks running right back to the comfort of the iPhone, which is no slouch on the feature set either. Try to focus on a few key areas of features and promote them. If someone gets a glazed look when you bring up rooting, maybe CM 7 vs. MIUI is a debate you should save for later.

Don’t sugarcoat it. Be honest about downfalls.

Be open about Android’s shortcomings. If a device has terrible battery life, be upfront about it. Android has improved, but some devices still require reaching for a charger much sooner than others, so warn them about it. Say, “The battery life isn’t as good as the iPhone, but you can change settings to control it better. Plus the phone makes up for it with this feature here.”

*androinica.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/htc-amaze-4g.jpg

Tailor your arguments to the person.

Talking to a younger sibling who’s constantly texting? Tell him/her about Swype and that the world record holder used it with great speed and accuracy. Your brother may be more interested in the awesome camera of the HTC Amaze 4G, and your sister may want to hear about the Galaxy S II’s faster download speeds. The worst thing you can do is go on about the stuff that you love about Android if you know that probably won’t impress them.

Pick a target and shoot.

While we’re on the subject of tailoring your argument, it might help to eventually steer the conversation towards a particular phone. It’s hard to express the benefits of iPhone vs. Android because it’s really iPhone – with a perfectly-executed message and focused path – versus Android and its many-things-for-many-people ecosystem. Pick one or two phones, like the Amaze and Galaxy S II, and compare that to the iPhone. It’s much easier to get your point across when you focus on something tangible.

Talk up the apps

Apps are what sells phones to a lot of people. So when you hear, “The iPhone has 500,000 apps while Android only has 250,000 apps,” people automatically think the one with the 2-to-1 ratio wins. Let them know Android has more apps than they’ll ever be able to test or use, and most of the top apps worth having are on it or coming soon. With few exceptions, important iPhone apps are on Android, too.

Conclusion

If you find yourself needing to explain to someone the merits of one or another, those are the ways I’ve found most effective in comparing Android and iPhone. The only problem is that my slow conversion has led to a rise in calls and texts asking me how to do certain things. Maybe that’s just more pronounced because people know that I’m into tech, but you should be prepared to be tech support if the person you convert needs help.

Source - Androinica » How to convince someone to get an Android instead of the iPhone

Sarath

iDota
Apps are what sells phones to a lot of people. So when you hear, “The iPhone has 500,000 apps while Android only has 250,000 apps,” people automatically think the one with the 2-to-1 ratio wins. Let them know Android has more apps than they’ll ever be able to test or use, and most of the top apps worth having are on it or coming soon. With few exceptions, important iPhone apps are on Android, too.

LOL...fail on one point.

I think except all the root apps the ones by developers are always released first on iOS and I don't know why.

> )

Asking someone to shift from iOS to Android is like telling someone to ditch their auto transmission and shift to manual gears

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
maybe cause some apps available on ios are paid while there maybe an ad-supported free version for Android. or maybe to design the game for a single mobile (iphone) then port it to Android where there are thousands of mobiles with all different specs.

red dragon

Master troll
It is not only about apps.90% useless on both platform anyways.
Iphone has better battery life,much better s.q than most droids(specially those bad,practically unusable htc phones)

xvetox123

Broken In
Different specs across different models definitely make developers think twice before developing for the Android.

Sarath

iDota
^Yeah me too, I am amazed at the iphones battery life and now am spewing anger at my short performing Android :mad:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
If I get a droid that plays protoxide or fractal combat Id buy it. Like run to a store and buy it, seriously. Ive been waiting forever for some new top apps to show up on the android app store (do they ever?). The iStore has new games coming every day and the scene is just far more competitive. And if you are on an endless stream of top notch apps, you wont waste time deciding how the UI looks, or choosing which software to use to unlock your screen in a groovy way. Droid people spend so much time rooting and customizing just because they dont have any good apps lol. Who really wants to decide and change how the device uses the battery? Id rather be mystified by it, and blame the devs for not doing their jobs well enough, plug my phone in to a point and get on with what I was really doing. With an Android if you wanna do something you have to first decide whether or not you want background services turned on or off, do that, then go on to what you are doing... its almost as unnecessarily complicated as a berry. Oh plus I dont have to go to a service center to upgrade my OS, how awesome is that? Sorry, not sold yet. Just one question, does a droid just work? Nope, not until the next OS upgrade, but an iPhone does.

Sarath

iDota
^^Haha although I would agree with you on certain (many) points, the android scene isn't as muddled as you picture it. It is grim but not the apocalyptic way you put it :))

Android just suffers from fragmentation, poor battery life, less developer interest, custom UIs which can sometimes slow down the device (and sometimes get you sued=sammy ;))

I was told Android has widgets and awesome homescreens and yes it did. Later I was told that to make the phone run faster you should close all (recommended) or most widget and have fewer homescreens :shock: I was Wt#; yeah that makes it symbian again :p

#=hell

sygeek

Technomancer
To be honest, this article doesn't make sense. Don't force your opinions on others. Let them play with both the devices, iPhone N and your preferable Android phone. They'll choose the one they prefer, not you.

I think average users, the one you don't see on the internet, should just go for an iPhone. They're better of with it than an Android-based phone. Unless, the person is a power user, he wouldn't go for an iPhone at the first place.

Of course, if you know the person's preferences and despite that he's going against Android just for the sake of class and all the other BS that flies around, he's a fanboy. Let him buy and make him suffer for it.

If it were me, I would create a Venn diagram (with major points in bold), pointing out features to why buy each of those phones and the unified features lie in the coinciding region. And then, ask the person about his preferences, cross-reference with the diagram, and the product which overcomes the other, with his preferences, is the choice.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the thing im dissed about is that the so called advantages that android has over the iphone are (a) not advantages and (b) disadvantages. Not everyone needs customisation if theres a good pre-made product. UI? please the less UI the better as the Nexus S shows... I cud go through all the other so called advantages of android, but I wont. I just believe true fanboys are the first to bring out the worst in their tech... ill go with apple the regional restrictions on content sucks big time, its like you are having only 1/6th of the device that could have been changed if you just registered with a different country. This is worse than having 1/3rd of the device you get when you purchase a droid, the remaining being packaged in updates down the line. I like droids, droids are economical and economical tech is always good. Its cheaper to buy like 5 01s second hand and fire up a game and pay schoolkids candy by the hour to farm item drops, rather than attempting that with 5 iphones. The thing is apple got the whole you get lost in the app and the device doesnt really matter anymore thing first, which is why their older devices still kick ass. The whole mobile arena is apocalyptic (its the very best word possible) its changing like crazy every second and nobody has any idea where its going or what they are doing, and everyone is trying to emulate apple because they are making the most money doing what they are doing. So there must be something that they are doing better than everyone else at the moment. Of course, all of this doesnt matter when you fire up that one killer cross platform app that everyone is using irrespective of the platform, because thats where the party is at.
@sygeek good idea figuring out the diagram lol making a list of possible factors haha

clmlbx

Technomancer
:lol: this thread has become more ""Why to buy Iphone instead of Android" instead what it was.:grin: But Big factor here who none have mention is price factor.. These debate will only occur with one who is going to buy High end Phone (around 30K ).. And I believe android Beats Iphone in Price. I haven't used both of it (still stuck with Symbian:mad: which I bought around 16 months ago) but AFAIK u can get almost everything in android that u have in iphone. that too most of it almost free of charge. where in Apple u have to pay for everything..

here I am comparing Iphone with 20-25K around phones.. even mid-range phones can have some Fun

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
On the other hand there are only two words enough to convince an Android user to move to iPhone - Battery Life.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ok listen dont think of iphones or flagship droid products as the latest or the best case in point "Dont get the S now that the SII is out" or "dont get an iPod 4 now a new one is going to be released in two months"... all of this stuff is irrelevent because of the cross platform nature of things now, all the magic is in that one app that is going to eat all your time, so any screen will eventually start doing it, so the 10-20k extra for the most upgraded model is not really making your phone that much better

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
The moment I flash my phone which has my and my beautiful girlfriend's pic set as the wallpaper, everyone wants to get my phone for a thorough look.

Top Bottom