How to connect 3G dongle with wi-fi router?

Hola! :mrgreen:

Well, I recently shifted to a new city. I previously had a wi-fi connection at home, with my own router. Now I plan to get a 3G USB dongle to access internet through my laptop, so that I have the mobility.

I am planning to get a Reliance Netconnect 3G USB dongle (7.2MBPS). Can I connect it with my Belkin G Wireless Router so that other devices in my home can access internet?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read from post #17 - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/151528-kindly-help-find-driver.html#post1565371

OP
MetallosaurusRex

MetallosaurusRex

Broken In
Read from post #17 - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/151528-kindly-help-find-driver.html#post1565371

Thanks, this really helped. So there is no way I can connect my USB dongle to my current Belkin router? Any adapters/converters etc.? :\

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, this really helped. So there is no way I can connect my USB dongle to my current Belkin router? Any adapters/converters etc.? :\
nope.

--

You could connect to Internet from a computer, and then use that computer's Wireless adaptor to create an Adhoc wireless network where Internet is being shared.

I don't know whether this will work or not, but give it a shot. Even if it does work, I doubt whether it will be smooth.

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
You could connect to Internet from a computer, and then use that computer's Wireless adaptor to create an Adhoc wireless network where Internet is being shared.

that will do the work..
Speed might not get affected but ping will increase...

I've done this with my friend router...

6Diablo9

How to change user title?
Sorry for reviving an old thread but I found this solution searching online can anyone try it out and see if it works? I'm planning to buy a tablet and I have a reliance netconnect wireless modem which I'd like to share connection with the tab. I think this was tried using Linux.

1. first make sure that you are connected to internet through your 3G dongle
2. bring up the wireless router(i'm using TRENDNET-652 wireless router) check its working condition
3. connect an Ethernet cable from your laptop eth port to wan port of the wireless router
4. now that you can see an auto eth0 connection in your network manager edit this connection and goto ipv4 settings tab and change the connection method to "SHARED TO OTHER COMPUTERS"
5. change the connection type in your wireless router settings to automatic DHCP mode
6. save the settings in the wireless router and restart it and also restart the laptop
7. check whether the wireless router is able to get ip from the laptop or not

Top Bottom