How can we compress a 2GB file to 500 kb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Speaking of the torrents, I remember a crazy noob who is a friend of mine...

came to my house whooping that he has downloaded some XXX movie in a blink. And asked what's your downloading time. I said "depends".

He said the thing, after pwning my isp, that the file is not working as it shows nothing when he drag and drop the file into VLC.

It took almost 30mins to explain to him, what torrents really are.

Thanks for reminding some old memories...

raksrules

Youngling
I once got a 4MB office installation. I knew it was crap, so just extracted using KGB and what i found was there were all the files and folders for setup. So opened the humongous files in textpad and whoa....just 0000000 written everywhere :):)
I already knew that was in store

But this torrent thing is just.........Lollzzz

Aspire

Padawan
Speaking of the torrents, I remember a crazy noob who is a friend of mine...

came to my house whooping that he has downloaded some XXX movie in a blink. And asked what's your downloading time. I said "depends".

He said the thing, after pwning my isp, that the file is not working as it shows nothing when he drag and drop the file into VLC.

It took almost 30mins to explain to him, what torrents really are.

Thanks for reminding some old memories...

xxx movie??????
He comes rushing to your house to show the movie?

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
write 000000 ten million times and save it in notepad , it will be above 10 mb compress it it will become less than 10kb simple .. i remember i once i posted simmilar thread in simillar time

Debu_013

Freshly Churned Chutny :)
What kind of a ridiculous thread is this?
It started in 2006 and is stil doing the round sin 2009????
With ridiculous talks about torrents and all this mumbo jumbo about file compression.
Has everyone gone mad or something ?

Debu_013

With ridiculous talks about torrents and all this mumbo jumbo about file compression.

Aspire

Padawan

Threads like this never die!!!

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
you must try winuha for maximum compression. But it uses around 80-95% of RAM. It is used to compress files in GTA

zoras

Right off the assembly line
surprise!! guess u guys not heard about kgb.. claims to compress 1 gb into 10mb

here's info from its site:
KGB Archiver is the compression tool with an unbelievably high compression rate.
Unfortunately, in spite of its powerful compression rate, it has high hardware requirements
(I recommend processor with 1,5GHz clock and 256MB of RAM as an essential minimum).
One of the advantages of KGB Archiver is also AES-256 encryption which is used to encrypt
the archives. This is one of the strongest encryptions known for man.

KGB Archiver 2

Important! Read first!

This is unstable BETA version of KGB Archiver 2. DO NOT use this program for compression of important data until there will be stable version available. THERE ARE KNOWN ISSUES! Note that:
- self-extracting archives of beta 2 don't ask for file overwrite! They always overwrite files.
- KGB Archiver v1.x encrypted archives (*.kge) ARE NOT supported by beta 1, please use v1.x or wait for final release
- for Windows Vista users: Please disable User Account Control (UAC) before installing KGB Archiver 2 beta 2. How to disable?
- KGB Archiver 2 beta 2 requires processor with SSE2 support, check list of supported processors, if your processor is not on the list, please download patch for old CPUs.

wondering whats AES-256 encryption follow this link
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard

here's comments from some fellows who have tried it:
1) its more like 1gb to 1 byte, i saw on usawarez gta sa 3.96gb uncompressed but 64kb when compressed, amazing software

2) it works in theory and in practice, however it is not at all usable due to the huge resources consumed and extreme timeframe to complete its task. You would need the fastest computer you can afford and then dedicate it solely to running this archiver as you would not be able to use that computer for anything else. And then, what about unarchiving?
This is a remarkable piece of software, though.... just 10 to 15 years ahead of hardware development, even at the lightning pace that the development is going.

3) Very bad and long, long time, loooong timeeeee...

4) PS: I fully support the idea and have tryed v 1.2.1.24 on a quad core
*kgbarchiver.net/?page=download

*fr33sp33k.h33t.com/index.php?topic=9063.0

it's an unstable thing ,, and lossy is an understatement

goodluck to you guys, with ur enourmous adventure

testing again with a 100MB installer ,,, will post results when finished ;)

i guess u guys with core i7 rigs should try this although its beta.

zoras
Nepal

Debu_013

THE KGB archiver project has been lying abandoned from 2007 onwards. The last update was released as a BETA 2.0 in 2007, since then no improvement.
Its impractical to wait so long to compress a file.

Even a core i7 with 4GB 1066MHz super RAM even a server is not going to speed it up. Its not built for these computers. Just take a look at the recommended configurations its way too low for these days. These software is not built for 64bit so it cant even take the advantage of a system with more than 4GB RAM.
Until and unless someone decides to revive the projects its useless!!!

Last edited:

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
THE KGB archiver project has been lying abandoned from 2007 onwards. The last update was released as a BETA 2.0 in 2007, since then no improvement.
Its impractical to wait so long to compress a file.

Even a core i7 with 4GB 1066MHz super RAM even a server is not going to speed it up. Its not built for these computers. Just take a look at the recommended configurations its way too low for these days. These software is not built for 64bit so it cant even take the advantage of a system with more than 4GB RAM.
Until and unless someone decides to revive the projects its useless!!!

Yes, I am facing trouble with 64-bit Windows on Core i7 and 3 gb DDR3 1333 RAM. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom