How can we compress a 2GB file to 500 kb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

choudang

Padawan
hey guys.... i wanna know how can i compress a 2GB file into a 500kb file. yesterday i have got a file sized 410kb rar which included 1 mdb file sized 2GB. can we do it with Winrar any version? is there any s/w to make a compress file like that? if i make one, is there any data damaging chance? now i tried with WinRar, but its make a 198 MB file to 170MB [best]

thanks

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
something like this has been posted before

i think there is something like a bomb
does the file u got work properly???

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
yes.. all the files are working properly..... and now i have got another one.... u won't believe that this one is a installation image... [Alcohol 120%].. thats why i'm asking the question, how can they done it? if they can, why can't we?

have a look.... [due to pvc... deleted the names.. sorry]
*img189.imageshack.us/img189/3916/untitled3co1.th.jpg

hansraj

In the zone
@warrior
now it depends that which file are u trying to compress. If the file is a doc,xls,mdb then u can of course compress it to that extent but if u want to compress the image file or a video file (which is actually compressed) then u will not get any compresssion whatever u may use... winrar,winzip or whatever

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
i know that hansraj.. i have tried it 2yrs back, after a unsuccess story .. i just ignored about tat [was n't a image].

but now i have 4-7image file..... original downloaded size was 400-700 kb.... after that... just follow the above pic.... the red marked one is the source.. just have look on the winrar..... do you see the bird?

satbir

Broken In
how can someone compress a file to that extent.......... thats not possible.... halucinating or wat??

yrana2002

Ambassador of Buzz
There is something called a Mini-image which has come out now.

"A mini-image is a partial image of the cd and includes a part of the program recorded on the cd (albeit a very small part). If used for legitimate back-up purposes (i.e. so that the game/app can be played/run by mounting the mini-image whilst the original is put away for safe-keeping), that's ok.

However, if hex editing is required to make the mini-image, that involves a modification of part of the program without the copyright holder's permission and that is, of course, illegal.
"

These are just about 600KB-5MB & work as a No-cd crack, etc.

Regarding other files, i remember a compressor called UHARC which had tremendous compression speeds, which had compressed GTA 3 into a 200MB folder. (However, the radio files & some sound files were deleted)

go4saket

My dear friend, I guess you are mistaken in figures. Check out the image that you have posted.

The file size it shows clearly says that the total compression if calculated is about 85% of the original file size, and compressing that is is pretty simple.

The file size it is showing is in Bytes and not KB. If taking the first file as an example, the original file size if of 2719 KB and the compressed file is of 405 KB. Just ckeck it out again and you will see where you got mistaken...

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
go4saket said:
My dear friend, I guess you are mistaken in figures. Check out the image that you have posted.

The file size it shows clearly says that the total compression if calculated is about 85% of the original file size, and compressing that is is pretty simple.

The file size it is showing is in Bytes and not KB. If taking the first file as an example, the original file size if of 2719 KB and the compressed file is of 405 KB. Just ckeck it out again and you will see where you got mistaken...

have you seen the image clearly.. may be you can't able to see the .mdf file sized 2gb.... and .mds file is 2mb. and the source is 410kb. so make the post after geting the point.. ok.
i'm not trying to make the forum fool. if it is posible to us.. then we will able to reduce the HDD space use.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
warrior , try to mount that image and try to install whatever in it , it will not work .Why....?
Its already explained here

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34784

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
tarey_g said:
warrior , try to mount that image and try to install whatever in it , it will not work .Why....?

unf'ly..... i have installed [sorry... subject can't be disclosed]. its working fine. i can post a mounted image also... for that i need a time cuz after installing, i have only 1.5 GB space free.
BTW.. i have 7zip and this is better than winrar, command line.. thats the drawback..

i have seen the mini for games.... i'm not talking about this.... i'm abit confused that how come they compress like that....

ps: the source of the file is a underground.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
The max till date i complresses was 80MB file to 900 kb using a program on neos site. coudnt file it anywhere now.

go4saket

warrior said:
go4saket said:

have you seen the image clearly.. may be you can't able to see the .mdf file sized 2gb.... and .mds file is 2mb. and the source is 410kb. so make the post after geting the point.. ok.
i'm not trying to make the forum fool. if it is posible to us.. then we will able to reduce the HDD space use.

My dear friend, I am just not able to understand where the hell are you able to see a 2 GB size. The MDF file you are talking about is of 2,784,768 Bytes and the MDS file of 2850 Bytes, the total of which is 2,787,618 Bytes which is clearly visible in the address bar kind of thing in the picture that you have posted.

Now, talking about the MDF file, if you convert 2,784,768 Bytes to KB, it comes to 2719 KB, i.e. 2.65 MB and the packed/compressed size is of 415,716 Bytes i.e. 406 KB i.e. 0.39 MB.

Now, I should say that you should check your own image file before posting. Your address bar very clearly shows that the size are all in BYTES and not KB.

Moreover, forget about Bytes/KB/MB/GB stuff. Check the compressed figures. Even if the figures would have been in MB or GB or what so ever, the compression percentage if you can calculate will give you answers to all your questions...

Check it buddy... :D :D :D No offence... :wink:

Dipen01

Youngling
May be Saket is rite....the address bar says...

unpacked size [ 2,787,618 bytes == 2,787,618/1024 == 2772 kbytes ]

[2772/1024 mbytes == 2.65 mbytes (MB)]

So i guess compression from 2.65 MB to 500 KB is Okey...isnt it...??
Correct me if am wrong..am just going by image !!!

Well i had another doubt!! U people must be knowing that the setup file of Adobe Acrobat Reader is something around 15 MB. But when we install it it uncompresses to around 150 MB. How is it possible. I am not saying that it is not. as they have done...!!! But how do they compress to 10% and also with self extracting archive..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Maybe its only a volume of a big archive. Suppose if we compress a 100 mb file and set the option divide into "say 10 mb" then we get about 10(or 9) 10mb files. If we open any one of them we can see the original file size as 100 mb and we might mistake that the 100MB file has been compressed to 10 mb. I think something like this has happened here.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
warrior said:
tarey_g said:

unf'ly..... i have installed [sorry... subject can't be disclosed]. its working fine. i can post a mounted image also... for that i need a time cuz after installing, i have only 1.5 GB space free.
BTW.. i have 7zip and this is better than winrar, command line.. thats the drawback..

i have seen the mini for games.... i'm not talking about this.... i'm abit confused that how come they compress like that....

ps: the source of the file is a underground.

Pls send me the file at tarey_g@yahoo.com , it will be clear than

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom