Highly Compressing a file

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to but wont benefit anything if i compressed my data.
images and videos will be reduced only by ~ 5 -10 MB .

anything else is frequently used and the time taken to uncompress is too painful for me.
i generally compress my backup source codes that come down from ~500 MB to ~100MB on winrar best compression.

tried UHARC once on 700 MB game ISO. it reduced to only 650 MB

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
i want to but wont benefit anything if i compressed my data.
images and videos will be reduced only by ~ 5 -10 MB .

anything else is frequently used and the time taken to uncompress is too painful for me.
i generally compress my backup source codes that come down from ~500 MB to ~100MB on winrar best compression.

tried UHARC once on 700 MB game ISO. it reduced to only 650 MB

u can't achieve a good compression on ISO,videos,.exe setups etc.
& the rips we are seeing on net for games are compressed using advanced tools for us....such as mp3 injector & converters for compressing files

gameranand

Living to Play
Well I told ya before that compression is based on Data Redundancy. Normally setup files are already compressed so you won't get much from that. Also the Rips we see all over net are not exactly setup compress but they are installed content compress.

Well you see a notepad file with millions of same character say "A" will compress more than a notebook file with million random characters because in first case redundancy is more as compared to second one.

tkin

Back to school!!
I want to compress my file
Winzip , 7-zip etc are not compresses file enough .
I want to convert my 7.5gb file into 4.7 gb.
What file? I guess game ISO? You can't,most game ISOs are already compressed, for example 7zip ultra compression(LZMA2) on 4.38GB ISO got it to 4.34GB.

If 7Zip ultra can not do it, I doubt anything else will do much.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISO is actually a 1:1 ratio container format. If the data inside an ISO file is highly compressed (usually the case with games etc. like tkin said), then it won't get compressed more using 7z/rar. If the ISO contains lots of compressible stuff like Office XP/2003 files, then the ISO will get compressed.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Try Compression With KGB Archiver It beat 7Zips & Uharc. I Personally Compressed a 500mb files to a 2MB archive. First I Didn't Believe But It Is True. It Take Hours To Compress & Uncompress.
Download KGB Archiver 2.0.0.2 Beta 2 / 1.2.1.24 Free - KGB Archiver is the compression tool with unbelievable high compression rate. It beats UHARC and 7zip!! - Softpedia

decompression is comparatively faster....well it surely gives the highest compression but also requires a solid hardware to do that......

i had POP-WW in just 500kb of file size....decompressing it got me arnd 2-3gb...

can anyone with a sandybridge proccy try compressing files using kgb archiver as the proccy is said to have best performance in compression.....???

tkin

Back to school!!
decompression is comparatively faster....well it surely gives the highest compression but also requires a solid hardware to do that......

i had POP-WW in just 500kb of file size....decompressing it got me arnd 2-3gb...

can anyone with a sandybridge proccy try compressing files using kgb archiver as the proccy is said to have best performance in compression.....???
Give me some time, I'm downloading now, I will be compressing a game ISO.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Time to see how much time i7-2600k takes. :p

My Pentium 4 would have taken years. ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
Ok, compressing it, now kgb archiver is an old software and does not have proper multithreading support, nor does it support any advanced extensions of nehalem or sandy architecture, so its slow as hell, when using 7 zip I get full cpu utilization on ALL cores, and 6GB ram is used, now look at KGB:

*i54.tinypic.com/nqpys3.png

Current projected time is 14 hours, hell it should only take an hour if all the cores are maxed out.
Projected file size is 2.2GB(4.4GB master file) and interestingly its increasing, so at the end of the day I doubt it will get much lower . Now if only the author actively developed it, its been abandoned since 2007.

Update: While I was uploading the pic, projected size got to 2.4GB. Also time became 17hrs.

Update: Its 2.6GB now and increasing. Time is increasing as well, is this a practical joke?

Update: 2.7GB now, I think it will end up around 4GB, like 7zip ended up, but 7zip took like 10 mins.

Update: 2.9GB, If this crosses 3.5GB I'll stop the compression, not worth time.

OP
NitrousNavneet

NitrousNavneet

Racing 24X7

Can I run KGB in my PC .
| | |
Configs \/ \/ \/

tkin

Back to school!!
Can I run KGB in my PC .
| | |
Configs \/ \/ \/
Yes you can, everyone can, however if you choose a very high compression it will take a lot of time and RAM.

I am compressing a 4.4GB iso in maximum mode, it shows projected time 24 hours, the config below. Its using 1GB RAM.

Decompressing will take time as well, not as much as compression time, but a lot.

tkin

Back to school!!
Ok, stopped the conversion, its not worth it any more, 7zip almost did the same thing under 10mins.
*i55.tinypic.com/2afeni9.png

So my stand is, use 7zip, if it can't be compressed by 7zip, it can't be compressed.

gameranand

Living to Play
tkin said:
So my stand is, use 7zip, if it can't be compressed by 7zip, it can't be compressed.
Agreed. I have also used like 10 or 20 softwares even the DOS ones and from what I have learned 7-zip is best. If it can't compress no one can its that simple.

tkin

Back to school!!
Agreed. I have also used like 10 or 20 softwares even the DOS ones and from what I have learned 7-zip is best. If it can't compress no one can its that simple.
Also it uses my 2600k fully(all 8 cores), and multicore scaling is just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom