Gwent: The witcher card game

Cyberghost

Federal Agent Area 51
Staff member
*nerdleaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/gwentcardgame-840x480.jpg​

In GWENT, you’ll clash with your friends in fast-paced duels that combine bluffing, on-the-fly decision making and careful deck construction. The game is played over a best-of-three series of rounds, as players unleash their hand by slinging spells and diverse units with special abilities and use clever tricks to deceive their opponents.

GWENT will be available at release for Xbox One, PC and PlayStation 4, GWENT is a free to play game that puts you, not your cards, in the center of the action.

Source: Official Website

Bhargav

In the zone
Registration is now open for stress tests happening tomorrow and on September 27! Follow the link to sign up HERE

*pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs-IA-TWYAABfxl.png

Killing Machine
2.3GB download

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go!

*i.imgur.com/4VI2En2.png

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I have been trying for 10 minutes now..

*i.imgur.com/dKNNlmb.png

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Another card game.

Already played a lot of Hearthstone. Let me check this one out as well.

Piyush

Lanaya
Its finally here. The open beta of Gwent released today.

Official trailer

Cinematic trailer

What is Gwent?

From the creators of The Witcher series of games, developer CD PROJEKT RED, comes a different type of collectible card game. Based on skill rather than luck, GWENT encourages use of strategy and deception to defeat your opponents.
Command highly customizable armies, sling powerful spells, and summon mighty heroes with game-changing abilities.
Played in a best of three format, GWENT is fast, fun and fresh and you can play it with friends!

How to start?
Go to GWENT®: The Witcher Card Game and click PLAY FREE. You need a GoG account. Installation size is 1.6GB on PC platfrom.
Also available for PS4 and XBox1. Crossplatform.

Official site: GWENT®: The Witcher Card Game
Reddit sub: Gwent: a card game within the Witcher universe • r/gwent
Youtube channel: Gwent

A reddit user made a guide for new players, updated to latest patch: The New Players Guide to Gwent (23+ Page Google Doc) • r/gwent

Hope to see you there, my GoG user name is in my sig.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Been playing this for a while now. I must say that the lack of too much RNG is a pretty good advantage over Hearthstone. No more saltiness due to RNG playing out against your favour. The only card that I saw that has RNG is Philippa Einhart, but that too is kinda balanced because that card deals 5 damage up front with the extra damage to other units is like a bonus that doesn't really matter much.

From what I have observed is that the main focus here appears to be to try to extract as much value from your cards as possible by making your opponent waste his cards. At least this is the playstyle I prefer. I go slow in the first and second round and then bring out the big guns in the last round to overwhelm the opponent. Haven't been trying to synergize much, need to learn more about the cards and the meta first.

I still think Hearthstone is more accessible for new players. Gwent has too many details, but in a good way. Units have many abilities that can create good combos and I liked the weather system.

So, compared to Gwent, Hearthstone seems like a casual game now.

Piyush

Lanaya
@Desmond David Cool. Whats your GoG id ? Will add you. Mine is Alien007.
DVJex also paying it
And yes, you are right about the backbone of game/ matches. Also, there will be a patch soon (in a week or so) many cards are being nerfed/ buffed, which can be milled for full scrap value.

Ask anything here if you dont understand something. I played enough to learn all the basics at least. Im lvl 14 now and reached rank 8 so far. Will start playing again after the patch.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
So, is there any meta surrounding different deck classes? What the strength and weaknesses of each race is? I have been using a King Foltest deck for a while now and prefer it mainly because I am most familiar with it.

Piyush

Lanaya
So, is there any meta surrounding different deck classes? What the strength and weaknesses of each race is? I have been using a King Foltest deck for a while now and prefer it mainly because I am most familiar with it.
Yes there is unique archetypes you can see in each factions. I will list the ones I know (there may be more archetypes for following factions, but these are the ones which I know about)

Monster: 3 archetypes
1. Weather - Just as the name says, weather focusing
2. Consume - Eat your own monsters to power up, I used this deck to beat AI challenge for leader cards
3. Wild hunt - As the name suggests, have many wild hunt cards which the strategy focuses on. Also contains some weather cards.

Soc'teal: 3 archetypes
1. Dwarf - Synergies with dwarf cards. Aim to to powerup your dwarf "resilient" cards so much so that in next round the resilient cards are enough to win you the series.
2. Spell - Loads of spell cards and only a handful of minion cards. There is a minion which powerups whenever you use a spell. The strategy revolves around it. I hate to play against this one the most. Also includes a weather deck.
3. Elfs - Not many people play this, but it is a viable deck. It uses "Ambush" cards which are mainly found in elf race.

Nilfgaardians: 2 archetypes
1. Millfgaardian - The strategy is to mill most of your cards through spies and other cards and gain resource advantage in doing so. Most top ladder players play this deck.
2. Reveal - This deck uses most "Do this when a card is revealed" cards. Either damage, powerup or draw, etc. Decent deck to play on ladder if you have enough cards of this archetype.

Northern Realms: 2 archetypes
1. Swarm - This deck plays many less powerful minions but they have some kind of ability to get bonus when X number of same cards are played. This is also known as Reaver Hunter deck as this card is the winning move of this deck most of the times.
2. Machinery - This deck have good number of machine cards like catapults n trebuchets etc and some minion cards to power up them. Its also a good deck but not the best one right now.

Skellige: 2 archetypes
I cant differentiate the archetypes in this faction properly coz they use most cards in all of them. But the basic strategy revolves around Queensguard, Morkvarg and few more cards which "gets power up whenever a minion is damaged". The deck was pretty strong, dunno now whether the patch nerfed them or not.

Anyways, thats the little knowledge I have regarding archetypes right now. There are more decks in each faction which I dont know much about.

I use Dwarf deck, consume monster deck and sometimes Milfgaardian deck to rank up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom