GTX 1060 or 1070?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Hello Guys,

I've been thinking about ditching the wait for Vega and getting a new card for myself. I can afford to have a 1070 but would it worth it?
I game at 1080p 60Hz, and going to do the same for a while. I know that 1060 would be capable enough to run every current game at ultra, but not sure if it would be able to deliver the same for atleast next 2 years. Does getting a 1070 sounds more "future proof"? The price difference is almost of 13-15k!
The other thing I've been thinking is that there are just too many jargans which are only in nascent phase these days. Pushing the hardware for 4K optimisation, VR and DX12 gaming to name a few. The next lineups would definitely be much more powerful than 10 series in multiple areas and so I feel that spending on high end cards just not worth it for now.

Please advise.
Note: I have ruled out RX 580 just because of its high power consumption. I have VS450 PSU (i know its not good) which I am not willing to change right now (as I've bought it new, I'll atleast use it for 2-3 years). I know for sure that it will handle 1060 very easily, and also the 1070. The RX 580 utilizes even more than 1080ti!!
Other specs of my system are in my signature.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
lol sorry, forgot to mention that I have GTX 660 these days, trying to sell it off. I had GTX 1060 but my brother took it away (haven't updated by sig)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
lol sorry, forgot to mention that I have GTX 660 these days, trying to sell it off. I had GTX 1060 but my brother took it away (haven't updated by sig)
If you play at med-high settings 1080p, get a RX 570 4 GB. If you want to go for ultra settings 1080p, get whatever is cheaper between GTX 1060 6 GB, RX 580 8GB and RX 480 8GB. Prefer EVGA, Asus, Zotac, Gigabyte, MSI in that order. For 2-3 years, these should be good.

bkpeerless

In the zone
go for 1070 for future proof 1080 gaming. i use 1060 and it plays all game at 1060 without any issue even in 2nd gen i5 machine. If u r some geek and want to showoff then u can go above them .

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
As you can see, it is the ASUS non ROG 1060 GB strix version. I was looking for ROG strix but that was way too costly (approx. 25k for a 1060).

Got 4 big Cu pipes with big heatsink and two fans:
*preview.ibb.co/iLkgOF/IMG_20170605_213558.jpg

Even though it costed 21k + 1k (tax) = 22k, it comes with a nice back plate:
*preview.ibb.co/bBRcxa/IMG_20170605_213636.jpg
*preview.ibb.co/hYgcxa/IMG_20170605_213649.jpg

My gaming drivers (PS4 Pro and GTX 1060):
*preview.ibb.co/dAdCVv/IMG_20170605_213814.jpg

The box:
*preview.ibb.co/gePKAv/IMG_20170605_213840.jpg

billubakra

Conversation Architect
As you can see, it is the ASUS non ROG 1060 GB strix version. I was looking for ROG strix but that was way too costly (approx. 25k for a 1060).

Got 4 big Cu pipes with big heatsink and two fans:
*preview.ibb.co/iLkgOF/IMG_20170605_213558.jpg

Even though it costed 21k + 1k (tax) = 22k, it comes with a nice back plate:
*preview.ibb.co/bBRcxa/IMG_20170605_213636.jpg
*preview.ibb.co/hYgcxa/IMG_20170605_213649.jpg

My gaming drivers (PS4 Pro and GTX 1060):
*preview.ibb.co/dAdCVv/IMG_20170605_213814.jpg

The box:
*preview.ibb.co/gePKAv/IMG_20170605_213840.jpg
Looks Cool. How much did it cost you? Also Asus makes Geforce drivers? I thought Nvidia had patent or something for Geforce. Sorry for the stupid question.

OP
Randy_Marsh

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Looks Cool. How much did it cost you? Also Asus makes Geforce drivers? I thought Nvidia had patent or something for Geforce. Sorry for the stupid question.
Thanks!
I spent 22k, including taxes.

nVIDIA as a company develop different kind of GPU's, Tegra, Shield gaming system (and tablet) etc. The GPU's which are particularly aimed for generic consumers (like us) are branded as "GeForce".
"Geforce" is nVIDIA patented, and 1060 GPU is called as "GeForce GTX 1060" as whole. The 3rd party company (like ASUS, Sapphire, Zotac etc. etc.) pays nVIDIA to buy their graphics chipset and for printing their chipset name on its products. Regarding Drivers: The 3rd party manufacturers do not develop any sort of drivers, only nvidia does (Geforce drivers), So whatever card you buy (ASUS, Sapphire etc etc. having nvidia chipset), you'll have to install nvidia geforce driver to use it. Same thing is applicable for AMD cards.
Well, third party companies do make some softwares for easy overclocking, controlling RGB lighting etc. which are optional to install and use, but the driver provided by nvidia/AMD is a must.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Thanks!
I spent 22k, including taxes.

nVIDIA as a company develop different kind of GPU's, Tegra, Shield gaming system (and tablet) etc. The GPU's which are particularly aimed for generic consumers (like us) are branded as "GeForce".
"Geforce" is nVIDIA patented, and 1060 GPU is called as "GeForce GTX 1060" as whole. The 3rd party company (like ASUS, Sapphire, Zotac etc. etc.) pays nVIDIA to buy their graphics chipset and for printing their chipset name on its products. Regarding Drivers: The 3rd party manufacturers do not develop any sort of drivers, only nvidia does (Geforce drivers), So whatever card you buy (ASUS, Sapphire etc etc. having nvidia chipset), you'll have to install nvidia geforce driver to use it. Same thing is applicable for AMD cards.
Well, third party companies do make some softwares for easy overclocking, controlling RGB lighting etc. which are optional to install and use, but the driver provided by nvidia/AMD is a must.

Thanks Vineet.

Top Bottom