FOSS Donation List

Krow

Crowman
I always wanted to donate to different FOSS (Free and Open Source) projects, but never could for some reason or the other.
In this thread I will list some projects I have been using a lot and mark an amount for donation. I will donate as and when I have the resources.
My donations may seem measly, but I believe it is better to donate a little to four or five projects than to donate a lot to one and nothing to others.
Feel free to suggest any FOSS projects that need donation. I'll donate to any software I have used and liked. I'll try my best to make at least one donation a month.

PS: Forgive me if a project I mentioned is not strictly FOSS. I'll add games as well, because the Humble Bundle counts as donation.

My list for now:
  1. Mozilla Firefox
  2. Ubuntu
  3. Linux Mint
  4. Open Office.org or Libre Office?
  5. VLC Media Player
  6. 7zip
  7. Handbrake
  8. Debian
  9. Translation of Debian handbook from French to English
  10. Wikipedia
  11. KDE
Projects which do not accept donations have been struck off.

FOSS projects:
Project | Donation | Month
Wikipedia|$20|November 2011
Debian Administrator's Handbook|EUR 5|November 2011
Linux Mint|$9.5|November 2011
Mozilla Foundation|$25|November 2011
Total |$54.5|November

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Arch Linux. :p

My list till now, apart from the bundles of course.
Project | Donation | Month
Arch Linux|$5|(Sometime) 2009
Linux Foundation|$25|July 2011
Linux Mint|$2|December 2011
Arch Linux|$7|April 2012

Last edited:
OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
^Never used it. Looked up the installation process once and it looked scary to me. :(

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Currently the exact link is not working (have to provide an indirect reference through OMG Ubuntu), but this donation might be worth considering.

The Lure of the Community Approach | OMG! Ubuntu!

P.S.: Also brings the Debian Project in mind. If you help Debian, you also help Ubuntu in any case.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Never used Fedora too. Ah... So many projects I have never got to taste.

Currently the exact link is not working (have to provide an indirect reference through OMG Ubuntu), but this donation might be worth considering.

The Lure of the Community Approach | OMG! Ubuntu!

P.S.: Also brings the Debian Project in mind. If you help Debian, you also help Ubuntu in any case.

That book project looks interesting. 10EUR means about Rs 600. Marking this one too. But are new versions of Ubuntu based on new versions of Debian?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
That book project looks interesting. 10EUR means about Rs 600. Marking this one too. But are new versions of Ubuntu based on new versions of Debian?
Every version of Ubuntu is taken from Debian Testing at the time where they begin working with a new release. Then they add their own Ubuntu patches, continue to work with it for all those 6 months before making the final Ubuntu release.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Every version of Ubuntu is taken from Debian Testing at the time where they begin working with a new release. Then they add their own Ubuntu patches, continue to work with it for all those 6 months before making the final Ubuntu release.
Thanks for the info. Marking Debian then. :)

Totally forgot to add Wikipedia. Marking. Will donate when they have their annual donation drive.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
I would someday like to donate to the wine project, it has a lot of potential and it needs to grow more.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
More than the amount, I think the spirit is important. Nice initiative Krow.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Thanks for that. I also want to donate 5 euros without reward. But I read that if the project misses deadline then we get a full refund. Since I use virtual credit cards, I am not sure how I will get a refund.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Credit Card actually didn't work for me. I used paypal (linked to my CC). With paypal, it won't be charged unless it's successful.

mohityadavx

Youngling
All of you guys should try flattr it will help you in donating even in micropayments . Its really usefyl for people on low budget.

See link for details:-

FLATTR

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Looks interesting but I don't think I will be joining it now. Got a huge software backlog to clear first. Bloggers might be interested in this.

Top Bottom