Fix laptop overheating problems with a little DIY spirit!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Would you like to share a link (to order in india) online? - couldn't find it on fk/sd/amazon/regulars.

also - remember reading on overclocking forum - that this particular paste was tested & found abrasive n stuff? any feedback on that?

thanks again,

Ace.

You have to import it from USA. No way to get it in India.
It sure is abrasive in the sense that it will wipe off anything written or marked on the CPU/GPU. This is because the paste contains micronized diamonds.
The thing is that this paste is so good that you will never need to open up your laptop again to look at those markings lol. You can safely apply this paste all over your motherboard to cool other parts such as GPU vRAMs(I have done that).

My temps used to reach 92 degrees earlier. Then I switched to Arctic Silver V and the best it could do was 90 degrees. With IC Diamond, the temps never go above 80 degrees. This stuff is that good.

4.8gm

1.5gm

Also, only apply using the method they have described in their webpage.

driverace

Broken In
You have to import it from USA. No way to get it in India.

5K would be way too much to spend on this!
For now - I would have to go with the next best thing (I mean - something available in India).
Total DIY should be somewhere on the better side of 1000 INR.

This laptop has done it's 3 year service.
Now - just to keep it running fine with minimal upkeep - untill I move to a proper HD + performance desktop in 2015. :D

/I shouldn't have really bought this laptop! It's too much hardware for the piece of cr@p design that they put it all in to! But, it was 3 years ago & I then got it for 40K :p which was like 12K lower than India price/

Thanks a bunch!

Ace.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
5K would be way too much to spend on this!
For now - I would have to go with the next best thing (I mean - something available in India).
Total DIY should be somewhere on the better side of 1000 INR.

This laptop has done it's 3 year service.
Now - just to keep it running fine with minimal upkeep - untill I move to a proper HD + performance desktop in 2015. :D

/I shouldn't have really bought this laptop! It's too much hardware for the piece of cr@p design that they put it all in to! But, it was 3 years ago & I then got it for 40K :p which was like 12K lower than India price/

Thanks a bunch!

Ace.

Go for Noctua then. IC Diamond is meant for the overclocking enthusiast.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Guys I need to clean my laptop asap before motherboard or cpu fries. it reaches 99C if my GPU is active, in 5 mins. The laptop is NP550P S10IN. The first of the series with GT650m.
I need to buy all the stuff from opening laptop to cleaning the old paste on CPU. So my query is :
1. Which solution to buy to clean the old paste. I read the whole thread, will try to get 70% isopropyl locally. If something else is better, please suggest.
2. Which thermal paste should I buy. Only cooler master is available on Flipkart. Artic Sliver, available on Amazon is not recommended by seamon above in the thread.
3. How to clean the dust inside. I plan to open my laptop completely and clean the dust, especially GPU area.
4. Which toolkit shall I buy to open the laptop?

I am doin this first time. I will follow youtube videos. It has not been cleaned from past 3 years. Need to clean to play any game. Please help me out here.
Any warning before goin ahead ?? If any 550P users faced any specific problem while doin this stuff then please mention.
Thanks

Last edited:

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Guys I need to clean my laptop asap before motherboard or cpu fries. it reaches 99C if my GPU is active, in 5 mins. The laptop is NP550P S10IN. The first of the series with GT650m.
I need to buy all the stuff from opening laptop to cleaning the old paste on CPU. So my query is :
1. Which solution to buy to clean the old paste. I read the whole thread, will try to get 70% isopropyl locally. If something else is better, please suggest.
2. Which thermal paste should I buy. Only cooler master is available on Flipkart. Artic Sliver, available on Amazon is not recommended by seamon above in the thread.
3. How to clean the dust inside. I plan to open my laptop completely and clean the dust, especially GPU area.
4. Which toolkit shall I buy to open the laptop?

I am doin this first time. I will follow youtube videos. It has not been cleaned from past 3 years. Need to clean to play any game. Please help me out here.
Any warning before goin ahead ?? If any 550P users faced any specific problem while doin this stuff then please mention.
Thanks

Not sure enough for the other questions, but for the 'opening up my laptop' part, Jackly Screw driver sets are cheap, and are quite good quality, and more than enough for just one use. (may an overkill), so, if you need something less of an overkill, get a single 2.5 size 'x' style screwdrivers, as that's the screw size most laptops use.

Warnings, Don't put too much pressure anywhere. Keep screws in a box, else you'll probably lose a few. I don't use that model, so can't comment on model specific issues.
This video might help:
Samsung NP550P5C (550P Series) PART 1: disassembling and fan cleaning, разборка и чистка ноутбука - YouTub

Also, you can get more videos on youtube.
Here is the Digit Forum Thread for more users having similar laptops: *forum.digit.in/laptops-netbooks/159661-samsung-series-5-550p-laptops-thread-485.html

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
The best is 70% w/w isopropyl alcohol sold for 70Rs in local Pharmacies. 90% w/w isopropyl alcohol is better but rarer to find. 70% is good for everything except IC Diamond thermal paste.

Post No.37. Posted by Seamon. Seems he isn't active anymore.
So is this ok or shall I buy the Arctic clean kit1&2 ? costs around 1k on amazon. Will be getting IC diamond This month or may be next.

Another doubt is, what if I couldn't clean the old paste well and then applied the new one? Any problems?

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Ok so I was finally able to buy IC Diamond and Arctic Silver Cleaning kit. Took me 3 hours to open, clean, reapply thermal paste and then reassemble. So the problem is now, I am not able run Games(Rocket League and FIFA) at the same resolution as smooth as I was running earlier.

Before :
FIFA - 60fps(locked)
RocketLeague - 55fps

now at the same setting
after:
FIFA- 25-35fps
RocketLeague - ~10fps

I didn't change any setting at all.
And about temps, still 99C within 5mins.

How i applied - On CPU die, as it is rectangular shape, I applied just bit in hotdog shape. And on nVidia chip, as it is square shape, I applied just a pea shaped small dab. I didn't use credit card technique as it wasn't suggested in many youtube videos. I just kept the heatsink which would have spread the paste properly by itself. I did clean everything well.

I play only these two games. I have waited more than 2 months to get this stuff, only purpose was to bring temps by atleast 5C so that i can get at least 60fps in these two games. And now, My heart is broken :crying_NF:

Please suggest something.

- - - Updated - - -

before :
normal temps - 60-65C

after :
normal temps - 73C

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
you applied it incorrectly, thats why its throttling thermally, you need to do it again, i hope you have some left
thank you for replying. thermal paste came only today. So i have everything. I will do it. But how else to do it, what is the other way?
And do I need to scrape off the thermal paste which I applied today?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Im not an expert on this, wait for other people to comment.. Abnormal rise in temperatures right after applying thermal paste is usualy because of this reason

Hrishi

Ok so I was finally able to buy IC Diamond and Arctic Silver Cleaning kit. Took me 3 hours to open, clean, reapply thermal paste and then reassemble. So the problem is now, I am not able run Games(Rocket League and FIFA) at the same resolution as smooth as I was running earlier.

Before :
FIFA - 60fps(locked)
RocketLeague - 55fps

now at the same setting
after:
FIFA- 25-35fps
RocketLeague - ~10fps

I didn't change any setting at all.
And about temps, still 99C within 5mins.

How i applied - On CPU die, as it is rectangular shape, I applied just bit in hotdog shape. And on nVidia chip, as it is square shape, I applied just a pea shaped small dab. I didn't use credit card technique as it wasn't suggested in many youtube videos. I just kept the heatsink which would have spread the paste properly by itself. I did clean everything well.

I play only these two games. I have waited more than 2 months to get this stuff, only purpose was to bring temps by atleast 5C so that i can get at least 60fps in these two games. And now, My heart is broken :crying_NF:

Please suggest something.

- - - Updated - - -

before :
normal temps - 60-65C

after :
normal temps - 73C
There is a serious issue in the way how it's applied or the way how the heatsink has been screwed back.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

TheSloth

The Slowest One
There is a serious issue in the way how it's applied or the way how the heatsink has been screwed back.

I am ready to do this all over again if needed. But I need help now. How to apply? and do i clean the paste again which i applied today? and I checked all the screws well before putting the back panel. any way to find out if heatsink isn't sitting properly?

Hrishi

I am ready to do this all over again if needed. But I need help now. How to apply? and do i clean the paste again which i applied today? and I checked all the screws well before putting the back panel. any way to find out if heatsink isn't sitting properly?
Yes. - Any new application needs complete cleaning of surface. I would recommend isopropyl alcohol, also known as doctor's alcohol in medical shops.

2. Youtube for videos, this will give you a good overview on how to apply.

3. It depends on your heatsink. However, as general rule, never completely tighten the screw completely, instead make sure you gently screw them with proper balance on each side. I. E. I. Tighten one screw a bit, then tighten the diagonal one after it a bit and then the other side

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Yes. - Any new application needs complete cleaning of surface. I would recommend isopropyl alcohol, also known as doctor's alcohol in medical shops.

2. Youtube for videos, this will give you a good overview on how to apply.

3. It depends on your heatsink. However, as general rule, never completely tighten the screw completely, instead make sure you gently screw them with proper balance on each side. I. E. I. Tighten one screw a bit, then tighten the diagonal one after it a bit and then the other side

1. Ok I will clean again before reapplying.

2. I did follow youtube videos. Many suggested credit card technique and many were sticking to simple method of applying just a dab about 5mm. So which method to follow.

3. screwing method i didn't follow. completely forgot about this.

Hrishi

1. Ok I will clean again before reapplying.

2. I did follow youtube videos. Many suggested credit card technique and many were sticking to simple method of applying just a dab about 5mm. So which method to follow.

3. screwing method i didn't follow. completely forgot about this.
2. CC method is for Deskop CPU which have a heat spreader on it. The laptop ones generally have a rectangular shiny part on it where you simply apply a drop of your TIM in center ( A small pea sized drop).
Place the heat sink gently and properly screw.

3. If you tighten the screw unevenly, this might cause uneven distribution of TIM on the die surface. This is why I recommend even distribution of pressure while placing the heatsink back. People generally overlook this aspect, particularly in notebooks.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
[MENTION=140405]Hrishi[/MENTION] , thanks for helping. I am gonna do everything again. I will apply only a small pea sized in center, that uneven thing need to be followed right this time.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
ok so I fixed it. I reapplied the paste, the temps are low by at least 3C. So far temps are staying at 96C instead of 99C. But nowadays weather is really cold here, so that is also helping.
And earlier, the reason for high temps was my blunder, :noob: I didn't connect the heatsink fan connector to the motherboard, so, it wasn't spinning and I switched on my laptop with that. Thank god and IC diamond that my motherboard didn't fry when I tested Rocket League.

But now I can play RL and FIFA just fine. Temps never goes above 90C while playing FIFA14. :cool_NF:
Thank you people for all the suggestions. :grin_NF:

Hrishi

ok so I fixed it. I reapplied the paste, the temps are low by at least 3C. So far temps are staying at 96C instead of 99C. But nowadays weather is really cold here, so that is also helping.
And earlier, the reason for high temps was my blunder, :noob: I didn't connect the heatsink fan connector to the motherboard, so, it wasn't spinning and I switched on my laptop with that. Thank god and IC diamond that my motherboard didn't fry when I tested Rocket League.

But now I can play RL and FIFA just fine. Temps never goes above 90C while playing FIFA14. :cool_NF:
Thank you people for all the suggestions. :grin_NF:
It's strange how the laptop did boot up without fan connected. Generally its supposed to throw error at startup in BIOS check.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
It's strange how the laptop did boot up without fan connected. Generally its supposed to throw error at startup in BIOS check.

I didn't know about this until now. I know it doesn't work in desktops cause i have done similar blunder in desktop too, long ago.

Top Bottom