Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Internal TV tuner

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
On my mobo I have 1 slot at bottom left free (2 are alreday occupied with graphic & sound card) I can use the last one but then keeping the PC on is an issue,

*img412.imageshack.us/img412/3536/lcdtunerou6.th.jpg
The 2nd last one claims that it can record with PC off too, I will talk to them if it can play or not.

Last edited:

premsharma

In the zone
@Rajan, Why don't you check TV Tuners on mediatechindia.com It has collection of Compro VideoMate tuners inbuilt with FM. External as well as internal.

*img412.imageshack.us/img412/3536/lcdtunerou6.th.jpg
The 2nd last one claims that it can record with PC off too, I will talk to them if it can play or not.

Yes, it does claim [PC off Mode], Better you check with them. Conexant chip should be pretty OK.

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
DO they have any dealer in delhi?
I will contact them, but these Delhi guys at NP suck they are not at all concerned with customer service , they just want to sell & I hate that attitude.

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
Originally Posted by premsharma
Screen resolutions and 4:3 or 16:9 & 16:10 are two different things though they are inter-related. Native resolution of wide TFT is 1440X900. Does your tuner allow you to set that resolution??

Ok I will hv to answer ur question in 2 parts
1stly: I'm currently using 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz on the TV Tuner.Having said that the auto adjust feature on the sam 940 is so good that i will stretch the picture on all sides of the screen and believe it or not if u watching a movie it looks awesome.However at times TV reception looks a little stretched on the sides.
2ndly: The TV Tuner doesnt allow for wide screen resolutions but amazingly the monitor adjusts the resolutions and end result is pretty nice TV viewing.One problem however is that u need to adjust the brightness,contrast and color saturation manually using the tuner's remote.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz on the TV Tuner.Having said that the auto adjust feature on the sam 940 is so good that i will stretch the picture on all sides of the screen
It cannot stretch on both sides it has to compress 1024 side to 900 & streach 1280 to 1400 , So weather you notice or not it is stretched by 20% atleast.

premsharma

In the zone
ranjan2001 said:
DO they have any dealer in delhi?
I will contact them, but these Delhi guys at NP suck they are not at all concerned with customer service , they just want to sell & I hate that attitude.

Yes they do have. i think I have given you their Tel No in another thread. Anyway you contact mediatechindia.com through email and enquire about prices. Also ask them, who is authorise dealer at Delhi. See the features mentioned there pretty good. You will have to persoanlly evaluate that how best these features can satisfy you. See I would recomend following:

Internal
ATI Theater 650 Pro if available is the best chip evere made till date.
Compro VideoMate TV Gold + II (Power Up Scheduling) @ 4500-5000
Powercolor ATI Theater 550 Pro @ 4500-5000
Hauppauge WinTV 150/250 @ 4000-5000

External- USB
Compro Videomate Action Pro @3850
PixelView Tuners should also be in same range of @ 3500+

These are my choices in the order of preference. I am yet to make a decision, whether to go for Internal or External?? I do have a Intex Tuner right now, which I bought just as stop gap arrangement a year back after my Zenith tuner had gone bad.

You will have look for these features in detail and probably look for reviews on net regarding these tuners and you will know who is who of tuners?

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
^^^ to add more to quality and reliability issues I would like to add that as far as picture quality is concerned the techcom is fine but off I'm facing problems with the menu which doesnt work properly...might need to send it for warranty repairs soon...

I work in a tech process and I believe the best tv tuner card to opt for wud be a hauppauge but i doubt whether one wud get it in India or not?

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I inquired about the Kworld-LCD tunner box & tahts quite expensive Rs 7200/- & the reason I am told is that its capable of running upto 30 inch LCD with it, so thats ruled out.

The sales guy told me to come & see the demo of the 1st model Global TV terminator pro PVR TV in the list & said that it will fit into my required feature list quite well.

Meanwhile I called up the compro sales guy Mr. Chowhaan 9312457661 & they mostly have internal pci- cards & have a great feature list but cant give demo as they only sell via dealer & as usual the dealer at NP suck.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Ahhhhh....I m sorry mate!!!!I haven't read any thread from a long ago.Well anyways,I bought the same TV tuner card a couple of months ago(the TECHCOM one mentioned on the first page).My dealer also told me that i can do the capturing with this card easily,but when u hook it to ur system then u realize how loser u are.Well luckily i have the graphics card with DVI port on it so i use it for display(PC display) but for TV i used VGA port.Dude there is no issues with the picture quality but if r connected with a DISHNET or TATA SKY etc. the quality is rocking.Well i m like u sabertooth,i don't need it for capturing but if u guys looking for a capture card also then buy one which has USB port or support on it.One of my friend is using the GEMINI TV tuner card which has USB port & he can also capture.So the better option would be buying the external one if u are not in the marriage business,u know what i mean.Well the internal cards are supposed to be better for capturing but only the quality ones.

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
^^ completely agree with u apart frm the only fact that I'm facing some problems accessing the menu but that has nothing to do with picture quality anyway

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
If it is the remote then yes it really s**ks,i mean u have to be a born intelligent or a geek coz there is nothing mentioned in the manual.About the picture quality,it is also crap but only if u have VGA port in your display.I mean we have LCDs & they have both DVI & VGA ports.Man u can see the difference using the only VGA port,it has a S-Video to VGA cable with it,use it & u will see the difference.I m using the TV TUNER card on VGA port & System on DVI port,if u have the same settings then there will be no problem.Good luck dude!!!

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
keith_j_snyder2 said:
I m using the TV TUNER card on VGA port & System on DVI port,if u have the same settings then there will be no problem.Good luck dude!!!

I did the same too but had hell lot of problems switching from tv to desktop, how do u do it ? The instructional manual of all Chinese goods suck.

this is what I did
I connected the vga cable to my LCD (analog) & started watching TV, now I switched on the comp & switch off the display via remote this keeps the TV audio on but I can now use my comp desktop which Is connected via another DVI port (digital) on LCD, now I cant go back to TV even when I switch back the TV display or shut down the comp, it does not let me toggle between TV & desktop.

OP
sabret00the

sabret00the

Youngling
ranjan2001 said:
I did the same too but had hell lot of problems switching from tv to desktop, how do u do it ? The instructional manual of all Chinese goods suck.

this is what I did
I connected the vga cable to my LCD (analog) & started watching TV, now I switched on the comp & switch off the display via remote this keeps the TV audio on but I can now use my comp desktop which Is connected via another DVI port (digital) on LCD, now I cant go back to TV even when I switch back the TV display or shut down the comp, it does not let me toggle between TV & desktop.

this is the fun of using LCDs where there are 2 separate ports VGA & DVI...even I follow the same procedure of connecting the Tech-Com to the VGA port of the LCD and the computer to the DVI port of the GPU on the computer....luckily there's a PIP button on the Tech-Com which lets me flip in between.....having said that I believe that if u are using a CRT monitor and dont wanna remove the only VGA cable from the computer everytime they want to watch TV wat they may do is attach the CRT monitor VGA cable to the TV tuner card VGA in port and then connect a S-video cable from the S-video out port on the tuner to the graphics card of the computer.However this has 2 apparant problems: 1)picture quality will drop and the signal will have to travel thru VGA & S-Video
2)TV Tuner has to remain on everytime u use the computer

Last edited:

premsharma

In the zone
OK guys, we have been styruggling here and digit have listened to us. They have run a review on TV tuners in this month [Apr 2007] digit. The toppers in all the catagories are Leadtech Winfast, Compro, AverMedia etc. All your queries are anwered. Though no products of ATI theater Pro, are there in the tests. God knows why? I think they are pretty good tuners from ATI.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
If the manual in chinese then it does S**ks.Ok here what should be the possible solution.

As far as i have seen 2 LCD's Mine(CMV CT-720D) & my pal's(Sony's some model supports clear bright technology)

1.As by mine:
Check the settings of the LCD.Like it must have somewhere written "DIGITAL or/and ANALOG),U can switch between them.

2.As by my pal's:
Press and hold POWER button of LCD for few seconds & u can easily switch between them.

Try any of these settings,Good luck!!!
And sorry for reading ur post so late.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
mobilegeek said:
Is there any TV Tuner card that comes with a signal booster?

I would also like to know the same thing.
I had connected my Pinnacle PC TV Plus using a splitter from the cable to the TV and probably due to signal loss, the pictures are very grainy. Previously I had thought there might be some other reason but after shifting to a new place and even after upgradation of PC, the quality is same and the card is left unused for 2-3 years.

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
anyone ...

I dont have a good idea on tv tuners, if you can reply that will be nice

1. One that has MP4/Divx/VP70 recording
2. which has a Signal Booster buitin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom