Engineering from private ?

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
An average student with good mathematical approach & hard work can also secure a decent rank in AIEEE.:)
I would disagree. For an average student, it is very difficult to "memorize" gazillions of chemical reactions especially for those who have one-sided extreme passion for computers or programming in general. I don't understand the noise made by NITs and IITs. Sure, they're pretty good institutions. But remember they are not the only ones honing the best talent. Such an ego-istic "IIT and NITs are the best - everything else is a waste" attitude shown by IITs and NITs would definitely hamper the progress of the nation. Plus nowadays even the "quota" matters for admissions.

Last edited:
OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
Nice to know that conquerer.
Btw, how would u rank these private institutes purely on the basis of CSE dept. and placement (not infrastructure) :

Amity (Noida)
Nirma
Muffakham Jah College (Hyderabad)
Amrita(Bangalore)
CBIT
RVCE
M.S. Ramaiah
VIT
BIT, Mesra
SRM

From what I know I think
BIT,Mesra>VIT>RVCE>Nirma>Ramaiah>Amrita>SRM>Muffakham Jah>CBIT>Amity(Only fear is that it is not AICTE approved)
What do you guys think ?

Another question I was asking myself was that should I care about the placement,faculty and infrastructure at all ? I mean, after doing some research I realized that if I do btech from private college then after BITS, VIT and Manipal and some other colleges rest of them are just as bad as any C class college. So, if my aim is to do Mtech after btech then should I care about getting placed and therefore the institute and the faculty because after all it is my own effort that counts.So, if I am clear about doing further study and seriously preparing for GATE then should I prefer one private college to another just because one has got shinny building and can get me placed in good private company even if they throw me out after a few month ?

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Seriously, for a branch like CSE, infrastructure is never a concern. All you need to learn and explore is a good teacher and a computer. Students from CORE branches like Mechanical/Civil/Electronics have to depend on college lab's infrastructure for all their practical work and learning. And as per AICTE norms, any AICTE approved college has adequate labs even if they are not "posh" or may not have high end machines. For all purposes, any AICTE approved college would be fine for CSE/IT students.
A better faculty can motivate you to achieve greater heights, but just in case you don't have good teachers you can always supplement your learning with the Internet. Universities like Harvard and MIT offer free lectures.
If its your forte, then those "stamps" of college won't matter in the long run - as long as you are good in what you do.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
Seriously, for a branch like CSE, infrastructure is never a concern. All you need to learn and explore is a good teacher and a computer. Students from CORE branches like Mechanical/Civil/Electronics have to depend on college lab's infrastructure for all their practical work and learning. And as per AICTE norms, any AICTE approved college has adequate labs even if they are not "posh" or may not have high end machines. For all purposes, any AICTE approved college would be fine for CSE/IT students.
A better faculty can motivate you to achieve greater heights, but just in case you don't have good teachers you can always supplement your learning with the Internet. Universities like Harvard and MIT offer free lectures.
If its your forte, then those "stamps" of college won't matter in the long run - as long as you are good in what you do.

Well said, my thought also.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
First of all , you have to be very good in English. So start reading novels and improve your vocabulary. English is everywhere & once you get a hold of it, then a lot has been done already. Especially in computer science, everything is in English. Knowing this language deep will help you grasp the meaning of the concepts very fast. Btech's first year is hardly about programming (although some colleges have started throwing up language courses right at the first semester). It's very important to have a good start. College does matter when it comes to campus placements. Companies why wouldn't prefer good colleges to hire their future employees. So, do some hard studying and try to get a good college. A student of a private engineering can excel only if he/she has extraordinary or excellent skills.

I would disagree. For an average student, it is very difficult to "memorize" gazillions of chemical reactions especially for those who have one-sided extreme passion for computers or programming in general. I don't understand the noise made by NITs and IITs. Sure, they're pretty good institutions. But remember they are not the only ones honing the best talent. Such an ego-istic "IIT and NITs are the best - everything else is a waste" attitude shown by IITs and NITs would definitely hamper the progress of the nation. Plus nowadays even the "quota" matters for admissions.
Agreed.All that matters for admission in government college is the "quota". I don't know why isn't this being abolished.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
I hope you're trolling here, because some of the best coders the world over have had a rudimentary education at best.

Well, it's just his idea and I do think he is right. An extraordinary student can become good at everything hi puts his mind in. But that no. is very low.I was talking about average student. But it is nice to hear that average student can become good coder :) , cuz I am willing to work my ass of learning coding :)

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Nice to know that conquerer.
Btw, how would u rank these private institutes purely on the basis of CSE dept. and placement (not infrastructure) :

Amity (Noida)
Nirma
Muffakham Jah College (Hyderabad)
Amrita(Bangalore)
CBIT
RVCE
M.S. Ramaiah
VIT
BIT, Mesra
SRM

From what I know I think
BIT,Mesra>VIT>RVCE>Nirma>Ramaiah>Amrita>SRM>Muffakham Jah>CBIT>Amity(Only fear is that it is not AICTE approved)
What do you guys think ?

Another question I was asking myself was that should I care about the placement,faculty and infrastructure at all ? I mean, after doing some research I realized that if I do btech from private college then after BITS, VIT and Manipal and some other colleges rest of them are just as bad as any C class college. So, if my aim is to do Mtech after btech then should I care about getting placed and therefore the institute and the faculty because after all it is my own effort that counts.So, if I am clear about doing further study and seriously preparing for GATE then should I prefer one private college to another just because one has got shinny building and can get me placed in good private company even if they throw me out after a few month ?

I am CBIT alumni..I will rank it close to RVCE. CSE is good but faculty is not so great.But if you
are intrested in engineering and willing to learn independently , its one of the best colleges in AP.

But Mgmt quota is costly.Today they sell mgmt quota around 20Lk or more(CS).

ratul

█████████████████
Well, it's just his idea and I do think he is right. An extraordinary student can become good at everything hi puts his mind in. But that no. is very low.I was talking about average student. But it is nice to hear that average student can become good coder :) , cuz I am willing to work my ass of learning coding :)

let me tell you what i have noticed my whole life..
though i still have no professional experience unlike many of the members here, but what i have seen is that all those toppers, scholars, though they get a good start due to their academic achievements, in real life, most of them ends up being puppets, having a good income, but almost average working skills and hardly do anything different..
And the average students or "backbenchers", as we are called, what i have seen are the creative people, who might not get a good start, but most of us have end up being more productive and having much higher hands-on experience in real life, and if you see the history, most of the greatest legends were just average students in schools/colleges, and even today some of the greatest coders/hackers are just those having an average academic history...
From what i have learned is that most of those scholars are'nt willing to take risks in their life, they just want to go with the flow, but those who are creative in minds, are rebellious in nature and end up doing something different, and that's called innovation...
In the end, if you know what you want to do, you can end up at much higher and respectable position even if you are average in studies... :razz:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
and if you see the history, most of the greatest legends were just average students in schools/colleges, and even today some of the greatest coders/hackers are just those having an average academic history...
no offence but i am tired of hearing this.
Bill Gates---Harvard
Steve Jobs---Reed College(only school in the United States to have a nuclear reactor operated entirely by undergraduates)
Larry Ellison---University of Illinois
Linus Torvalds---University of Helsinki
Larry Page---University of Michigan followed by Stanford
Sergey Brin---University of Maryland followed by Stanford
don't compare exceptions to norm or suggest that "legends" started out as "average/backbenchers".a genius does not born in vacuum & it is well established that a person with high intelligence in one field still possess more than above average intelligence in similar fields.a person who is a natural good programmer possess more than enough skill to master conventional science subjects like maths,physics,chemistry with hard work to get a good/decent rank in competitions like AIEEE though vice-versa may not be true(good in maths/physics/chemistry but average in programming).of course an average student with a bit of natural talent in programming too can become a good coder/programmer with hard work but that is more of an exception rather than norm.anyway i am sure many will not agree with my view so let the real world be the judge here & until i see at least 5-6 persons from xyz no name private college in which you can get admission by paying $$ innovating/creating something competing with the likes of above mentioned people i will continue with this view point of mine.

ratul

█████████████████
no offence but i am tired of hearing this.

don't compare exceptions to norm or suggest that "legends" started out as "average/backbenchers".a genius does not born in vacuum & it is well established that a person with high intelligence in one field still possess more than above average intelligence in similar fields.a person who is a natural good programmer possess more than enough skill to master conventional science subjects like maths,physics,chemistry with hard work to get a good/decent rank in competitions like AIEEE though vice-versa may not be true(good in maths/physics/chemistry but average in programming).of course an average student with a bit of natural talent in programming too can become a good coder/programmer with hard work but that is more of an exception rather than norm.anyway i am sure many will not agree with my view so let the real world be the judge here & until i see at least 5-6 persons from xyz no name private college in which you can get admission by paying $$ innovating/creating something competing with the likes of above mentioned people i will continue with this view point of mine.

i think bill gates and other were "average" in their college, not the scholars, mark zuckerberg started to hack when he was 11, so he was determined from an early age, our own indian Sunny Vaghela, 23, one of the topmost indian hacker, was average academically, Neither i have heard any academic achievement for ankit fadia..
APJ abdul kalam admitted he was just average student in school, now look at him..
and if these are too big names for you, near my college, a guy who used to score 50-60% (average i suppose) is now placed @ 50lacs package, why, coz he developed some world's fastest Shortest path search algorithm (from Galgotia i suppose)...
One friend of mine is in DTU, google and microsoft came there and offered avg of 17lacs package, and those who bagged them, guess what, most of them were ~70%(avg for their college)...
I can give you numerous more examples of just the people <25yrs of age, average and doing much better, i am not saying that the toppers are bad and average students are good, it depends on what person thinks and how much passion he has for what he wants to do, it's just what i found is that the average students have more passion in what they want to do, and they dare to think different, which make them succeed in a way they want.. But i think you are more experienced than i am, so i might be wrong, i am just describing what i have seen till now..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Geniuses are born, not made. Entrepreneurs and geniuses are two different things. You can't compare APJ Abdul Kalam and Bill Gates. Gates was not a genius,not even Zuckerberg; he just got an idea which got too much popular, that's it. Nothing innovative.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^we are not talking about geniuses because compared to geniuses like Newton(father of classical mechanics),Einstein & such there is no one in field of computer science.entire computer hardware & its basic are based on laws of physics & chemistry by such geniuses.the table i gave represent persons with talent & innovation along with entrepreneurship skills which shaped the world of technology as we know it now.
he just got an idea which got too much popular
this is exactly what innovation is.

@ratul,you totally missed my point so let me make it clear to you.
the point i am making:an average student in IIT/top NIT>>an average student in xyz pvt college(with exceptions)
the point i am not making:an average student in IIT/top NIT/top tier university can never be a good coder/achiever.

as for ankit fadia & Sunny Vaghela you seems to be just another one among thousands being taken by blitzkrieg advertising.read these to get some perspective & i know you probably won't believe it but use some insight & think for a moment.who is the real deal:
1.a hacker identity unknown selling latest java exploit in black market for $10000 a piece/participating in a public tournament like pwn2own either himself(if not afraid for his security) or through a human proxy wining $60000 prize money for breaking chrome sandbox protection in less than a minute.
2.someone claiming helping cia/nsa/cbi/(insert any 3 letter agency) on front page of a newspaper & making claims portraying themselves as legends but outside India on serious computer security sites their names don't even ring a bell.

Charlatan Watch List:
Errata - Charlatans

a real deal hacker will either remain unknown or will be working in a security firm after spending some time in jail for a crime which made front page news on reputable/established international papers/sites.anyone other than these claiming to be a top hacker is nothing but a con.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Not always. Here, Zuckerberg was creative, not innovative.

And we had great geniuses in CS field also, namely Charles Babbage, Ada lovelace, etc, and comparing them to newton and likes is not fair tbh.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
genius is not absolute but relative term hence i used the example of Newton,Einstein as benchmark.according to this standard a genius is someone who establishes/creates a field not thought of before & which work as foundation for others to build upon.though genius i don't consider Charles Babbage as genius of computer field because he was basically a mathematician & mechanical engineer & used his knowledge from these fields to think of a mechanical device to solve algorithms.see even the origin of computer is from maths & mechanics which is why there will probably be no genius in CS.whether quantum computers or artificial intelligence all these have roots in physics,chemistry & biology & only based on advances in these fields these concepts will become reality.

ratul

█████████████████
^^we are not talking about geniuses because compared to geniuses like Newton(father of classical mechanics),Einstein & such there is no one in field of computer science.entire computer hardware & its basic are based on laws of physics & chemistry by such geniuses.the table i gave represent persons with talent & innovation along with entrepreneurship skills which shaped the world of technology as we know it now.

@ratul,you totally missed my point so let me make it clear to you.
the point i am making:an average student in IIT/top NIT>>an average student in xyz pvt college(with exceptions)
the point i am not making:an average student in IIT/top NIT/top tier university can never be a good coder/achiever.

as for ankit fadia & Sunny Vaghela you seems to be just another one among thousands being taken by blitzkrieg advertising.read these to get some perspective & i know you probably won't believe it but use some insight & think for a moment.who is the real deal:
1.a hacker identity unknown selling latest java exploit in black market for $10000 a piece/participating in a public tournament like pwn2own either himself(if not afraid for his security) or through a human proxy wining $60000 prize money for breaking chrome sandbox protection in less than a minute.
2.someone claiming helping cia/nsa/cbi/(insert any 3 letter agency) on front page of a newspaper & making claims portraying themselves as legends but outside India on serious computer security sites their names don't even ring a bell.

Charlatan Watch List:
Errata - Charlatans

a real deal hacker will either remain unknown or will be working in a security firm after spending some time in jail for a crime which made front page news on reputable/established international papers/sites.anyone other than these claiming to be a top hacker is nothing but a con.

ok, i got your point, sorry i took it the wrong way.. :oops:
and on the point of hackers, the motive is what matters the most, even i don't consider ankit fadia to be a hacker, but i do respect sunny vaghela, they chose to use their work to become popular and monetize it, some hackers do remain underground as you say, but it's what they chose to be, point is that people like ankit or sunny still has much more security related knowledge and experience than most of us here, point is that you should be good in what you want to do, and zuckerberg was definitely a genius, coz i can't see myself neither breaking into harvard network and crashing the whole network in 3-4hrs by diverting the whole traffic on facemash.com through their network, nor i am capable enough to design something like facebook in a month, and most of us would'nt be able to do that... :p (and i know what facebook looked like back then. :D)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i understand.:) also not to criticize/point out shortcomings but rest assured if you know online where to hang & with whom to hang(easier said than done) & have the basic knowledge(assembly language/bit of reverse engineering/network protocols/windows & linux server layouts & common web languages/protocols) then you can gain more knowledge than likes of ankit fadia & sunny vaghela in a matter of few weeks.currently i don't know a thing about any web language(html,php etc) but i just spend ~10 min reading about XSS & already have a basic idea about what it does & that is the usual level of these so called publicity hackers.

ratul

█████████████████
i understand.:) also not to criticize/point out shortcomings but rest assured if you know online where to hang & with whom to hang(easier said than done) & have the basic knowledge(assembly language/bit of reverse engineering/network protocols/windows & linux server layouts & common web languages/protocols) then you can gain more knowledge than likes of ankit fadia & sunny vaghela in a matter of few weeks.currently i don't know a thing about any web language(html,php etc) but i just spend ~10 min reading about XSS & already have a basic idea about what it does & that is the usual level of these so called publicity hackers.

and that's the problem for me, these days, i am at home most of the time (final sem, no college :D), yet instead of learning something meaningful and experimenting in kali linux, most of my time is spent on youtube, fb and here... :p

Top Bottom