Engineering from private ?

isenberg

Broken In
Hello everyone, I've just given my HS final exam and though I know what my passion is, I am finding it very hard to decide which path to choose. My first problem is my age.
My H.S exam went well.I expect star mark. But my problem is I am 20 and I've reached the age limit so I can't drop 1 year to prepare for JEE-main and I know I won't do well if I take jee this year as I haven't taken any preparation.
My dad says I should go to private institute but my friends say that if I do Btech from private institute then I'll get very poor job.Now, is it true that there's no future for people doing btech from private institutes ?

My second dilemma is which stream to choose ? I have deep passion for programming and computer hardware. So obviously I want to take CSE but there are too much uncertainties in that stream.People say mechanical is evergreen as there are always job available for mechanical engineers. I am good at physics and also in maths but I know it won't be easy, but I am willing to give my 100% and work hard if I take CSE but my fear is , after 4 years in CSE if I get a 15k job only.What should my backup plan be? will my btech be any useful ? I am also interested in game development (graphic programmer), so can I go for game development after btech ? what is the scope in India?

Thanks in advance :)

donnawhite

Broken In
There are lots of confusions in your mind. First you have to set your mind for one particular course like if mechanical engineering is your area of interest then you must have to go for it private institute no matter. Follow your interest always.

If you want an evergreen job, become a property commission agent :p
Do you have any other option than joining a private college?

Please, decide you'r branch yourself. Each branch has career opportunities. World is not running by itself.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
There are lots of confusions in your mind. First you have to set your mind for one particular course like if mechanical engineering is your area of interest then you must have to go for it private institute no matter. Follow your interest always.

Mechanical is not my field of interest, I am just considering it as my parents and my uncle who is an engineer think it is a more practical decision to go for mechanical as everyone these days is going for CSE.I am interested in programming.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
If you want an evergreen job, become a property commission agent :p
Do you have any other option than joining a private college?

Hehe :p , sorry my post was a little scrambled. No, I don't think I have.But I don't know if it is myth or not, but people say what matters most is from which institute you graduate.
k, suppose I do btech from average private institute, can I get good job like students who do btech from NITs or something,if I work really hard on my programming skills ?

Please, decide you'r branch yourself.
I am still deciding the branch.I am going through the syllabus of some institutes.I don't care much about the syllabus is as long as I get to learn hardcore programming.

and thanks for your reply guys.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
suppose I do btech from average private institute, can I get good job like students who do btech from NITs or something,if I work really hard on my programming skills ?
i doubt it.if you are capable of becoming such a good programmer then you would have got a seat in NITs in the first place.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
i doubt it.if you are capable of becoming such a good programmer then you would have got a seat in NITs in the first place.
Thanks for your reply.
k.So, what kind of job can I expect after doing btech in cse or ece and how much will one get paid after doing btech from private institute ?

btw, is syllabus for btech same or it varies from institute to institute ?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Mechanical is not my field of interest, I am just considering it as my parents and my uncle who is an engineer think it is a more practical decision to go for mechanical as everyone these days is going for CSE.I am interested in programming.

Still I can hardly find mech students getting placed. Think like this, CS is made for placement if you can grab the opportunity.

Really? When did they start asking programming in engg entrances? Programming has hardly got to do with clearing PCM based entrances.
I'll give you the example from our forum only, and the probably the best example, nbaztec, best coder I ever saw in my life, and I truly hail him. And ironically, he is also from a private college, but I swear, he's better then NIT's so called "toppers". Just proper dedication is enough.

So, what kind of job can I expect after doing btech in cse or ece and how much will one get paid after doing btech from private institute ?

btw, is syllabus for btech same or it varies from institute to institute ?

Pay cheque depends upon college, branch and your talent, nothing else.

Syllabus across India is almost same. Just get the best college possible, or you'll regret wasting your talent. Good luck :)

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Hello everyone, I've just given my HS final exam and though I know what my passion is, I am finding it very hard to decide which path to choose. My first problem is my age.
My H.S exam went well.I expect star mark. But my problem is I am 20 and I've reached the age limit so I can't drop 1 year to prepare for JEE-main and I know I won't do well if I take jee this year as I haven't taken any preparation.
My dad says I should go to private institute but my friends say that if I do Btech from private institute then I'll get very poor job.Now, is it true that there's no future for people doing btech from private institutes ?

My second dilemma is which stream to choose ? I have deep passion for programming and computer hardware. So obviously I want to take CSE but there are too much uncertainties in that stream.People say mechanical is evergreen as there are always job available for mechanical engineers. I am good at physics and also in maths but I know it won't be easy, but I am willing to give my 100% and work hard if I take CSE but my fear is , after 4 years in CSE if I get a 15k job only.What should my backup plan be? will my btech be any useful ? I am also interested in game development (graphic programmer), so can I go for game development after btech ? what is the scope in India?

Thanks in advance :)

If you are looking at a 70K per month job just after 4 years of B.Tech from a private engineering college, then i recommend you to get a hold of reality soon....this chance is rare and is only possible if the applicant is someone who has extraoridnary skills to jump off the page. Backup plans are shown in movies....as u said , u're 20 already, how much time do you think you can afford in ur carrer to roll back that B.Tech of yours to successfully trigger that "backup" plan in today's competitive scenario? Decide a branch, pass your B tech honestly with a reasonably good GPA and skills in some specific industry-friendly area, if there is not another recession, you wont find the world too difficult to find a job.

Majority of enginners in India are now from pvt engg colleges, i'm from a pvt engg college, and i have a paycheck higher than many of my neighbouring govt college guys, nothing to take vanity of, its a fact, there are ample chances you'll get to shine and rise up....look for them and use them. As sujoy said, it dint have to be a good programmer to get chance in NIT or IIT, understanding of basic science and logic building will pay-off in the long run.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? When did they start asking programming in engg entrances? Programming has hardly got to do with clearing PCM based entrances.
I'll give you the example from our forum only, and the probably the best example, nbaztec, best coder I ever saw in my life, and I truly hail him. And ironically, he is also from a private college, but I swear, he's better then NIT's so called "toppers". Just proper dedication is enough.
i agree but exceptions are there in every field & i was talking about majority.one of the reason for ever increasing "unemployed engineers" is emergence of many dime-a dozen so called engineering colleges & though some pvt engineering colleges are good most are not compared to NITs(but not all govt engg colleges).

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
Thanks sam_738844and dashing.sujay :)
I went through the syllabus of btech(CSE), there's a hell of a lot to learn :D . I am really interested in taking CSE.
Can you guys please post the name of some good private institutes (preferably Bangalore) I should look up where good company come for campus recruitment and which has good CS faculty also?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
i agree but exceptions are there in every field & i was talking about majority.one of the reason for ever increasing "unemployed engineers" is emergence of many dime-a dozen so called engineering colleges & though some pvt engineering colleges are good most are not compared to NITs(but not all govt engg colleges).

It's not about exceptions sire, but about your passion regarding something. There's absolute no linkage between programming and engg entrances. An average student with good mathematical approach can do wonders in programming.

Regarding private colleges, business model of colleges is to be blamed, thus corroding the students.
PS: ladke bhi kaun se dudh ke dhule hote hain

Thanks sam_738844and dashing.sujay :)
I went through the syllabus of btech(CSE), there's a hell of a lot to learn :D . I am really interested in taking CSE.
Can you guys please post the name of some good private institutes (preferably Bangalore) I should look up where good company come for campus recruitment and which has good CS faculty also?

PESIT, RV, Dayanand Sagar, Ramaiyaah (of what I know).

And don't expect too much from college faculties, you are your best teacher :)

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
PESIT, RV, Dayanand Sagar, Ramaiyaah (of what I know).
Alright, thanks :) . Will look them up.

And don't expect too much from college faculties, you are your best teacher :)
I know, but for me faculty is more important then any other thing in a college.It is very sad that from my school days, I didn't get many good computer faculties.They were unenthusiastic and boring.In class XII, I was very lucky to get a good programming teacher but the teacher who taught networking and Internet made me sick.It even made me hate that portion not because of the topic itself but for the fact that whenever I opened the book I was reminded of the teacher.So, that is why I am looking for college with good faculties even if there is no placement in the college (i hope that's not the case though :p ) and the campus infrastructure is not that good.

update : btw, not jumping from my decision but just considering the option.
I went through the syllabus of Bsc.(H) and Msc. also and Bsc. seems more easier considering the fact that there is no maths involved.It's not that I hate maths. I loved calculus,vector, 3D, matrices (determinants-not so much :razz:) , linear programming etc. but I don't know what kind of maths will be there in btech, I mean I know there will be more of calculus, vector,probability and stuff but is it too hard ? plus first two semester I have to study chemistry also which I don't find much interesting (other then organic part of course ) . So, after doing Bsc+Msc. , do I have the same kind of options and scope for further study and job as Btech ?

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Well, faculties are like luck, you may find good, you may not. Plus, the faculty which the other person likes, you may dislike. So, don't focus on it, as you really can't do anything about it. Plus the colleges I mentioned are not like you'll get the option to choose from them, until you get very good rank.

B.Tech. is any day better than BSc+MSc. Your "knowledge" is more versatile, and you save one precious year.
The maths is not at all tough, most of it is calculus though, but easier than 12th. Plus, studying mathematics will help you in programming front.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
Well, faculties are like luck, you may find good, you may not. Plus, the faculty which the other person likes, you may dislike. So, don't focus on it, as you really can't do anything about it. Plus the colleges I mentioned are not like you'll get the option to choose from them, until you get very good rank.

B.Tech. is any day better than BSc+MSc. Your "knowledge" is more versatile, and you save one precious year.
The maths is not at all tough, most of it is calculus though, but easier than 12th. Plus, studying mathematics will help you in programming front.
okay, thanks. I think I feel more confident on my decision now :) .. will do some more research though, If anyone else thinks that I should reconsider my decision then do post even if i is not so inviting and utopian :razz:. I wanna make sure that I am taking the right decision so that after taking btech I don't regret taking it and so that I can stay motivated on my goal .

If anyone else knows other good private colleges even outside Bangalore then please do post.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
Ya, I am giving JEE-Main, but as I have said, I have no preparation at all.So, that is why I am thinking about private institutes.

OP
isenberg

isenberg

Broken In
An average student with good mathematical approach & hard work can also secure a decent rank in AIEEE.:)

lol, you are right :). Maybe I am a below average student then.My problem is my age, I lost some years as I went off track in school life, but I don't have any regret as it taught me the ultimate lesson of my life.After all it is our mistakes that make us who we are.
But seriously, I am willing to work hard, but for that I have to drop 1 year and by then I'll become an uncle ji :razz: . This year, I haven't taken any couching or anything as my whole concentration was on board exam as this year 40% of jee main (AIEEE) will be taken from board final and 60% from entrance exam itself.So, board exam became important after this new joint entrance exam. My target was to get at least 80%. So I gave all my concentration and effort on that.Now, practically thinking, it is impossible to crack JEE-Main now as the exam is on 7th April.But I will still give as 40% will be taken from board final.But if I don't drop I year my choice is private institution :(

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you still have 2 weeks.if you are clear about concepts then focus on selected areas in physics,chemistry & maths to maximize your marks.after all it is a competition so there is no absolute marks scale.maybe even 40-50% score this year prove good enough to get a decent rank.

Top Bottom