DSLR for newbie, Budget around 30-33000

nac

Aspiring Novelist
MRP is 37k, not a big difference. You may likely to get a better deal from local seller than this. Check with local dealers.

sujoyp

Grand Master
If you are getting nikon then better get it from local shop for warranty ...Nikon has issue with some online shops and may or maynot give warranty.

animes_d

Broken In
I was thinking about getting Canon 700D, but after going through this thread I'm confused between Nikon D5300 and Canon 700D. I'm also the first time DSLR buyer. Right now I'm using Canon SX160 (Point and Shoot and also Manual). So I'm kinda biased to brand Canon. Should I go for Nikon D5300 or Canon 700D. Please help.
Thanks.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
700D had a significant price advantage about two years back. Now I don't like it's price, despite being cheaper than D5300.

Both are 4yrs old. 700D has touch interface, one of the nice things to have. 700D's overall user experience will be much better than D5300 esp. for a first time user.
On the other hand, D5300's long battery life, wifi and not to mention impressive low light performance and image quality.

Put them side by side and compare. You're gonna have hard time picking one. ;)

animes_d

Broken In
700D had a significant price advantage about two years back. Now I don't like it's price, despite being cheaper than D5300.

Both are 4yrs old. 700D has touch interface, one of the nice things to have. 700D's overall user experience will be much better than D5300 esp. for a first time user.
On the other hand, D5300's long battery life, wifi and not to mention impressive low light performance and image quality.

Put them side by side and compare. You're gonna have hard time picking one. ;)

What the heck? :) Your reply made it more difficult. Which one would be more value for money in long term? At Flipkart 700D is 39K and D5300 is 35k. Is it worth to pay the difference? And I don't know how much I need the wifi and touch screen but a good battery life is always welcome and a better low light performance could add the bonanza.

P.S. - Few years back I bought Canon Power Shot SX160 after discussing with you. And it had been a great experience. Thanks again for that. Now help me with this again.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
39k for dual lens kit is still better than D5300 with single lens kit for 36k. Knowing that it was lot cheaper two years back make me think it's expensive today. Pricing aside...

Touch screen and Canon's user interface vs image quality of D5300.

Among pros and cons of both the cameras, the above things are the deal breaker if I am buying (other than lens choice). After using Nikon for a while you will know it's interface and will learn how to make the best out of it. So you can even leave user interface out of the equation. Both are good cameras. I can keep on list what I like/don't like about these cameras, but that's not gonna be much of a help to you. You're not me. You have to decide which way you wanna lean.

sujoyp

Grand Master
.hmm wifi is very useful in today's world if we can copy to mobile or tablet on the fly. Please do the research beforehand. I feel when now days all want to share pics super quickly on insta and fb or whatsapp, the traditional method of copying on lappy then transfer to mobile then send people seems too long .

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Oh Snap!!!
Now I don't know where else to go?
:D
When I say D5300 has impressive image quality it doesn't mean 700D's is pathetic. Here you can find photos taken using 700D
Canon EOS 700D/Rebel T5i/Kiss X7i / 500px

So it's not the camera, like they say. Don't have to give too much weightage to image quality alone.

Like @sujoyp said, wifi does matter. I thought wifi is not a big deal. But I have come across many instances where people asked me to send the images right after taking. My bad, my camera don't have wifi option.

Don't confuse yourself too much. Both are good cameras, buy the one you like. You're not married to any brand yet.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Yaah once u r into a system like nikon Sony canon then it gets difficult to switch brands due to investment in lenses..right now u r free to choose any.

Sent from my E5563 using Tapatalk

animes_d

Broken In
So I could go either way, it doesn't matter. But last not least what about the after sales service of both these brands. Is anyone better than the others?
And also the future lenses, does both companies have equal advantages in lenses (like in price or quality)?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Lenses you dont worry, both have enough lenses and then there are thirdparty lenses from tamron and sigma for both nikon and canon.

After sale I am not sure coz I didnt go to any service center any time in last 5 yrs :) just keep cam and lens in safe n dry place, all will be fine.

CRACING

Journeyman
Hello animes_d

Checkout AF-P lenses. Its a newly launched auto focus system from Nikon and its supported from D5300, D3300 and all other highend Nikon DSLR's.

Its AF motor is better and silent then predecessors. I believe it is as good as or comparable with Canon's STM but will cost less. i.e Nikon AF-P 70-200mm costs <15k whereas Canon EF-S 55-250mm STM costs 20k+

I'ed say, before going for a system, research about lens availability, there performance, affordability and etc, then choose a system accordingly.

Thanks...
Best Regards

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Sorry to bump this one up once again. Have the same query, so chose not to start a duplicate new thread.

Please help me build a rig (18-55/50-250 inclusive) within 42k.

My only brand preferences are Canon/Nikon. So far what I learnt is Canon has better features/screen and Nikon has better night scene and a bigger sensor. Few I looked at so far is Nikon D3400, Canon 700D, Canon 1300D, Nikon D5200. Awaiting thoughts. TIA.

Enjoy~!

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Use this independence day offer and get one.
D5200 and 700D are overpriced. Solely for that reason, I don't want to suggest them despite having some good feature than D3xxx and 1xxxD series cameras.
D5300 will go out of your budget.
1300D vs D3400 - One has price advantage and the other has performance advantage. I assume you're new to DSLR. If you're you will most likely happy with any of the system. Buy the one you think would be good for your purpose.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Combo offer of canons are much vfm then nikon..go for Canon if u get great deal

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Just checked the pricing of the cameras in discussion in the last few posts. God!!! They are super expensive. Is this GST effect?
1300D dual lens kit costs about 34k (which cost about 26 - 27k last year)
700D dual costs 42k (which cost about 32-34k last year)
D3300/D3400 costs about 38k

sujoyp

Grand Master
Oh price increased... Now I think local shop will have same price to

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Yes I am new; this is my first buy in DSLR.

However, I am using Canon Powershot A720IS past 10 years, for its manual photography. I do have little idea on setting up aperture size, focal length, ISO, Manual Focus etc. Honestly, I liked its capability for the price and age.

So considering your points, I narrow down to Nikon D3400 (38k Flipkart), Canon 700D (42k Flipkart, old model) and Canon 1300D (<35k Flipkart). All inclusive to 2 lenses.

Nikon has bigger sensor, better ISO, compact size, 24 MP, 11 AF points. Canons look more bulky yet stylish, 18MP, 9 AF points, much lesser battery life compared to Nikon.

These are on papers. I have no clue on practicals tests with images (with Kit Lenses). My usage will be travel photography, portraits, night shots, family pics etc.

Has any one used both, or have idea on how image comes out? Also, how about buying only body and pairing up with 3rd party lens to get better performance. Will camera body make difference in that?

Thanks.

Enjoy~!

Top Bottom