dell Inspiron 14 7460 Laptop hdd technology ???

Virus Boy

Right off the assembly line
Dual drives with 128GB SSD + 1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
this is a single drive with two partitions,
one is ssd and another is normal...

is it possible or marketing person is making fool,
and is it preferable to use or not...

and how is it possible??
and in which partition i will install Operating System...

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Fill the questionnaire if you want to buy a laptop.
It is possible to have multiple storage drives on laptops as long as I've been using one.
128GB ssd is probably on m.2 slot and the 1 TB hdd is on sata slot.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do note that doing a modification like running a hdd in place of optical drive in laptop will void the warranty unless the procedure does not involve removing/breaking any sticker/seal inside laptop & optical drive can be put back together just like original install when giving to service centre for any warranty related issue.

@SaiyanGoku which brand laptop you have?did you do the modification yourself & if yes then did you encounter anything(like sticker/seal etc) inside laptop which can indicate that you "tempered" with optical drive?

sohan_92

In the zone
I am not getting the actual confusion here. Still trying to answer the questions.

No, marketing guy is not making fool of you. Dual drives (HDD+SSD) laptops are common now a days. Even I am using one.

And regarding OS, I think inspiron 14 7460 comes with pre-loaded windows 10.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Do note that doing a modification like running a hdd in place of optical drive in laptop will void the warranty unless the procedure does not involve removing/breaking any sticker/seal inside laptop & optical drive can be put back together just like original install when giving to service centre for any warranty related issue.

@SaiyanGoku which brand laptop you have?did you do the modification yourself & if yes then did you encounter anything(like sticker/seal etc) inside laptop which can indicate that you "tempered" with optical drive?

I'm using an Asus T200 which has 32GB emmc storage for OS + a user accessible HDD slot in the dock. I replaced the odd of my father's Dell N5110 with a spare 2.5" 1 TB hdd I had using a local caddy. IIRC, there was no sticker/seal and it needed only one screw to be removed for ram and odd slot access.

For replacing the stock HDD, I had to remove the entire mobo, flip it over and then I could access it. Since it was way past the warranty period, I didn't care to check for stickers.

Top Bottom