Customs duty on Laptops\notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

techx

Right off the assembly line
I plan to get a laptop from Dubai( U.A.E) while coming back to India for my vacation

But I am confused whether the customs people will interfere and make me pay the TAX for bringing the lappy to India.

Is it true that they will charge the tax as the machine is being imported and expensive.

If they will make me pay I can drop the plan to buy the lappy form dubai and later purchase from india but I will have to bring it back to Dubai when I return from my vacation

If anyone here had any experience or chance of bringing a lappy to India from dubai
please help by giving ur suggestions

Please help guys it is urgent

Pat

Beyond Smart
One laptop per person is completely ok and you will not have to pay anything for it for sure :)

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I am not sure but I think I heard this on this forum itself. If you are getting only 1 laptop, you may be spared from taxes and all that.

enticer86

Stay Silent!
See according to the Customs Act, 1962, one laptop per person is perfectly allowed. Two persons thus get exemption for 2 lappies.

Pls note that this exemption is on the basis of personal effects, ie, it is supposed that its meant fr ur personal use. That is why almost all things that can b counted as personal effects are exempt.

Also note, one can get two wristwatches, with the contention that both are meant for personal use- one for Indian time and one for lets say US time ;)

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
One laptop to India is allowed. You will not be charged anything.

@enticer86: I bought 6-7 wristwatches for my relatives from USA and no one asked me anything at Delhi customs.:)

Pat

Beyond Smart
Legally you are allowed to bring goods worth upto Rs. 25000 apart from a laptop!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I plan to get a laptop from Dubai( U.A.E) while coming back to India for my vacation

But I am confused whether the customs people will interfere and make me pay the TAX for bringing the lappy to India.

Is it true that they will charge the tax as the machine is being imported and expensive.

If they will make me pay I can drop the plan to buy the lappy form dubai and later purchase from india but I will have to bring it back to Dubai when I return from my vacation

If anyone here had any experience or chance of bringing a lappy to India from dubai
please help by giving ur suggestions

Please help guys it is urgent

Just declare at the customs that its for personal use. Don't get it packed. Carry it like you do everyday.

gopz

In the zone
One laptop per person is allowed as hand baggage and there will be no duty payable. But if you courier it from there then you will be charged around 30-40% as customs duty.

enticer86

Stay Silent!
No duty on goods for personal use upto 25k !

That again depends on the country from which you are emmigrating. Also depends on time spent in that country. And the limit of 25k is for specific articles and things. Laptops can be said to constitute "personal effects" and thus one lappy per person is exempt.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I think all this is confusing the thread starter! :D

Dude, just get your laptop with you just like you carry it to school/office.

gopz

In the zone
cool ...... i may now tell my frd who`s on his way HERE .... thanx 4 the info .....

Yeah remember that he can carry just one laptop...if already has one with him (even is its an old one), then the customs duties will be payable for the new laptop :)

OP
techx

techx

Right off the assembly line
Actually u ppl r confusing me more

It is anyway clear that the lappy will cost more than 25K . It will almost cross even
40K. And will they allow us to carry lappy in our handbag as there is a rule that no one is allowed to carry a battery or such things in aircrafts( even batteries in toys has to be removed)

What if I carry the laptop back to U.A.E when I return. Wlll I have to pay again

Help me guys it is really important

Pat

Beyond Smart
Actually u ppl r confusing me more

It is anyway clear that the lappy will cost more than 25K . It will almost cross even
40K. And will they allow us to carry lappy in our handbag as there is a rule that no one is allowed to carry a battery or such things in aircrafts( even batteries in toys has to be removed)

What if I carry the laptop back to U.A.E when I return. Wlll I have to pay again

Help me guys it is really important

Dude..its simple! I said 25K AND a laptop per person. You can safely carry it even in your laptop bag (laptop bags are allowed even if you have a handbag)! You do not have to pay anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom