Creating VLAN on Cisco C3750X Switch

mohanty1942

Journeyman
L2 Switch model: Cisco C 3750X T-S

it is placed between ISP (BSNL ADSL router) and my local LAN.
IP of bsnl adsl router: 192.168.1.1
IP range of my local lan is 192.168.10.X

I want to configure two VLANs in this router (& add specific ports to each VLAN) and add static routes so that all my local lan PCs will be accessing internet.

I new to switch configuration.
I can access CLI console via COM1 using putty. I can issue en, configure t and reload command.

Can anybody here help me further providing step by step commands ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/swit...e/installation/guide/me3400e_hig/higquick.pdf

What I want to know is why would you buy/use an enterprise grade switch like Cisco & static route entry method with a cheap consumer grade BSNL adsl modem simply to give lan PCs net access?

OP
mohanty1942

mohanty1942

Journeyman
@whitestar_999
Thank you for the reply. Your question is justified. The answer is ours is a Govt Organisation, and policy makers don't need valid/economical reason to decide what is appropriate at which configuration. According to a security guideline we have to put a management L2 switch between BSNL ADSL and our local Network. They don't care for the above CISCO switch to be used there , because it is in stock.

Now being very less knowledge , my request to you to please suggest me the most cheapest Layer 2 switch, which I can get for the above requirement.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Management L2 switches are usually used with Rs.90000+ routers with IDSN fail-over capabilities(& that is from a small govt organisation & on top of that,connection & setup was outsourced to sify).Net connection in such cases is enterprise grade(no consumer grade ADSL modems) meaning all the setup is to be done by the connection providing company & BSNL also provide such services. You should have some kind of IT support department in regional office/head office,ask them for help or ask BSNL.As it is official business with enterprise grade connection/setup,this forum won't be of much help as we have experience with home user level network devices & setup.

The switch you have is good but it requires configuration from a professional who will see your network requirements & only then will be able to tell you the details.

Hrishi

L2 Switch model: Cisco C 3750X T-S

it is placed between ISP (BSNL ADSL router) and my local LAN.
IP of bsnl adsl router: 192.168.1.1
IP range of my local lan is 192.168.10.X

I want to configure two VLANs in this router (& add specific ports to each VLAN) and add static routes so that all my local lan PCs will be accessing internet.

I new to switch configuration.
I can access CLI console via COM1 using putty. I can issue en, configure t and reload command.

Can anybody here help me further providing step by step commands ?
It's relatively easy to configure VLANs and do port assignation on a managed switch such as the Catalyst series you have.
It shouldn't take more than 10 lines of syntax to do what you intend.

As far as routing on this switch goes, it's disabled by default and you will have to enable it by setting one of the interfaces in Layer 3 mode/no switch port mode.
There's a lot of configuration that will go into use routing though.

Edit :

Here you go with the basic vlan configuration : Please no, do this as your own risk. I am just posting the basic configuration which maybe needed to setup a simple vlans and assign ports to different vlans.

#configure terminal

#vlan id_of_your_vlan (e.g. vlan 101)

#name my_vlan_1 * (optional)

#mtu 1500 (optional)

#end

#show vlan ( to see vlans on your switch)

to remove the vlan, just put no before it. For e.g. #no vlan 101

For port assignation to a vlan

#conf t

# interface eth0 (select your switch port/interface)

#switchport mode access

#switchport access vlan 101 (enter the vlan id you want to assign)

#end

You won't need a vtp for this, it should work without vtp configured.

I would strongly advise to contact a professional for setup, as these aren't your regular soho switches.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
mohanty1942

mohanty1942

Journeyman
@ Hrishi
Thank you a lot.
Now I am able to create both the Vlans and add ip adress to both vlans, 192.168.1.5 to vlan1 and 192.168.10.50 to vlan2.
Then I add specific interfaces to both vlans ; GE 0/1/1 to vlan1 and GE 0/1/5 to vlan2
DSL ISP router (192.168.1.1) is connected to vlan1,(physical port 1) and my UTM (192.168.10.10) is connected to vlan2, (physical port5).

(i) Now how do i add static route between two vlans so that traffic can flow in bi-directions (my lan PCs can access internet ) ?

(ii) Now when L2 is bypassed, gateway specified in my LAN UTM is : ISP router 192.168.1.1,
Do i need to change the gateway in my LAN UTM to any of the ip of vlan, when the L2 is inserted between ISP DSL and my LAN UTM ?

Hrishi

@ Hrishi
Thank you a lot.
Now I am able to create both the Vlans and add ip adress to both vlans, 192.168.1.5 to vlan1 and 192.168.10.50 to vlan2.
Then I add specific interfaces to both vlans ; GE 0/1/1 to vlan1 and GE 0/1/5 to vlan2
DSL ISP router (192.168.1.1) is connected to vlan1,(physical port 1) and my UTM (192.168.10.10) is connected to vlan2, (physical port5).

(i) Now how do i add static route between two vlans so that traffic can flow in bi-directions (my lan PCs can access internet ) ?

(ii) Now when L2 is bypassed, gateway specified in my LAN UTM is : ISP router 192.168.1.1,
Do i need to change the gateway in my LAN UTM to any of the ip of vlan, when the L2 is inserted between ISP DSL and my LAN UTM ?
To do a layer 3 or inter vlan routing between two vlans, you will need a Layer 3 device, or a switch working in layer 3 mode.

You can use #ip routing to enable this. But it will need further more configuration.
I recommend to you reading this guide :
Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches

Btw, what's the UTM device you're using? Checkpoint /Palo Alto?

Hrishi

Btw, a piece of advice : If you do end up using VTP, beware of the risks of a incorrect configuration. It CAN render the configuration of all the connected switches in its domain bad. VTP can be a risky thing to play with in a production environment.

Top Bottom