CPU Cooler Guide For Sandy / Ivy Bridge Cpus !!

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
^^ IBT put more stress than prime95 small FFT test ?? :confused:

@ rohit32407 - at-least your cpus tcase and core 2 temp has dropped below 40c - check the minimum temp column in Hwinfo and it's 34c and 35c respectively and with all these low load temps yur are good enough to hit 4.5 Ghz now ;-)

Pheww its good to hear some reassuring words. I was going mad over temps:pullhair:. Actually my tcase temp was stable and in 30's right from my first install of HSF but its the temp of that core1 and core3 that was bothering me the most. Even now Idling temps of those 2 cores are mind-boggling but load temps look fine. I don't know if its the faulty sensor or something else but i have re-seated my HSF and reapplied my TIM for 3 times now. Tried every possible method from the noctua recommended to spread to smiley etc etc but the idle temps of these two cores just wont budge so i will just leave them there as long as load temps are fine I don't really care much.

I will try to hit 4.5, right now I am just trying to get familiar with the bios and its options. Playing with offset settings at the moment. Will try for 1.2 vcore for 4 ghz(too less?). I tried to set the vcore manually bt then even on idle condition vcore gets fixed at 1.23-1.24 where as when its under stress LLC kicks in and vcore drops to 1.192. So I thought maybe playing with offset settings might help with lower idle vcore hence lower idle temps. In any case i think it would be better if there is no unnecessary voltage when its not required. Do correct me if I am going about it the wrong way.

P.S. Did IBT in "High" stress settings(20 cycles). Max core package temp was 67 with core 1/3 being hottest- 65-67 and core 0/3 being coolest 60-64

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ IBT put more stress than prime95 small FFT test ?? :confused:

@ rohit32407 - at-least your cpus tcase and core 2 temp has dropped below 40c - check the minimum temp column in Hwinfo and it's 34c and 35c respectively and with all these low load temps yur are good enough to hit 4.5 Ghz now ;-)
It does, IBT(linpack) now has support for AVX, which puts a wild stress on the CPU, highest I had ever seen.

Only applicable to CPUs with AVX support and win 7 sp1 or win 8.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Thanks for the info and now even prime95 has support for AVX - so if anyone can compare the latest version of prime95 and IBT side by side to see which one generates maximum heat ( or puts maximum loads on cpu ) that would be great.

eagle06

Los7 Cau53
Guys my stock temperature is around 40-50 and while running prime 95 it is going to 97 C in 10minutes...I thought TIM gone bad and reapplied new TIM(deepcool z5). But the temperature is same.

I am using intel stock cooler,i5 2500k stock speed,gigabyte p67a-ud3-b3.

I noticed my cpu fan speed in bios/hw montor is around 600rpm..I even disabled speed control in bios but the cpu fan speed doesnot go up. Is my CPU fan failing or is it the sensor fault..?

*i47.tinypic.com/bdwtgx.jpg

some times i see the max cpu fan speed as 675000rpm!!

*i49.tinypic.com/2mffcqh.jpg

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Flash the latest BIOS and see if it helps.

Time to buy a cooler anyway. Intel stock cooler is rubbish.

eagle06

Los7 Cau53
Today i bought CM hyper tx3 and installed it. The cpu fan speed is still around 645rpm...When i set cpu speed control to normal the cpu fan runs very slow like 56rpm(i can see in bios when temperature is 38 C).

Then I connected the CPU fan plug to SYS_FAN1(3 PIN) socket and restarted.I can see increase in fan speed now bios shows 2200+rpm (fan is loud now so its really fast now).

I am using the latest UEFI bios U1a and also cleared cmos and loaded optimised defaults still when i connect it to CPU_FAN(4 PIN) socket fan runs very slow.

what should I do now?? Is there a problem with my mobo/cpu?? Or should I just ignore it and use SYS_FAN1 socktet??

UPDATE: downgraded to normal bios F9 from UEFI. Now CPU fan is working as expected, 2000rpm in prime 95 torture test.
idle ~35 and 62 max temperature(TX3 is good :) )

I think i should not upgrade to new bios next time when everything is working fine ;P(but in UEFI windows boots up fast)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-) anyway, for faster boot time consider buying at-least a 60GB SSD.

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i have an i5 2310 with intel dh61ww
the temps at medium load (4-5) tabs, utorrent, kaspersky, a full scan operating, two folders open one 700 mb 480 p video is about 64 ~66 degree C
and at normal conditions (only one browser with 2 tabs , kaspersky (no scan) , utorrent , one video ) the temps are 45-51 degree C

and the cpu fan aperates at an average 1000 rpm.
is it ok ?
temp and rpm are from Speccy
please tell me if this is ok ??

thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kaspersky uses hat much cpu ?? can you confirm the cpu usages from the task manager of load no. 1 ( ie browsing,scanning, video playback, utorrent ) and load no. 2 - 1k rpm fan speed may be due to automatic cpu fan speed control option under bios - disable it and see how much cpu speed you can get - for real time monitoring use Hwinfo along wth IBT for 5-10 mins and from HWinfo screen see the temp of cpu and cpu fan speed - this will give some clear idea about the cpu's load temp and fan speed under load.

64-66c though is on higher side but still within safe range and considering the current climate status idle and load temps should be ~40c and ~60c respectively.

OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
This thread has an update long overdue, I will update this over the next week(I need to read up a bit), I urge you to contribute what you can, reviews, prices, links, articles(written by you), pics(800x600).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
For TiM : Noctua NT-H1 or DeepCool Z5

For coolers : Time to replace Hyper 212+ with Hyper 212 Evo

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Is it possible to add a small section on how to clean the old tim and re-apply new one. Dos and Don't s would be most helpful.

For coolers: Add liquid cooling solutions.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to add a small section on how to clean the old tim and re-apply new one. Dos and Don't s would be most helpful.

For coolers: Add liquid cooling solutions.

I think you we should have a new thread for that as it applies to all cpu and gpus too - finding it would be more easier this way. Anyway, always use your wits while ceaning and applying TiM and yes, we do need some Liqid cooling solution - start with Corsair H100 ;-)

Top Bottom