CPU cooler for i5-2500k

anaklusmos

Youngling
Recently my CPU has started dropping in performance ( i suspect thermal throttling), as it reaches temps of 96 degrees Celcius while playing Borderlands 2 co-op online with a friend. I feel that changing the thermal paste and a upgraded cooler should help with the temp, and allow me to overclock the aging CPU to eke out some more performance from it.

Budget is somewhat limited, preferably 2.5k for both the cooler and paste combined.

CPU : i5-2500k , stock clock, stock cooler
GPU : Radeon 6970 2GB
PSU : Corsair TX850 V2
Mobo : MSI z68a-GD65 g3
Cabinet : Not sure, I think its a CM 690 II

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
PS : The place my cabinet is in tends to get a lot of dust due to construction nearby, will that affect the choice of cooler?

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
Is there a cheaper alternate ? Because i might end up buying a new CPU and mobo before the year end anyways, and make this one a downloading/HTPC kind of rig

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Is there a cheaper alternate ? Because i might end up buying a new CPU and mobo before the year end anyways, and make this one a downloading/HTPC kind of rig

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO -1,734.

Link:Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Cooling Fan - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

acepro71

Broken In
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO -1,734.

Link:Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Cooling Fan - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

evo are great but not good enough especially if u live in india damn the aimbet temps so id rather go with an h80i or h100

depending on case

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Get TX3 or Hyper 212X eyes closed. Outperform any other liquid coolers at 2x the price. Even i am using it since 4 yrs and the temps never bothered me anymore even at 4.5ghz overclock.

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
Okay, so among the TX3 and Hyper 212X , is the price difference really worth it?
And what about thermal paste, what should I get?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
AFAIK coolers like 212x comes with good quality TiM bundled with them so need to buy additional TiM unless OP is buying some 2nd hand cooler.

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
AFAIK coolers like 212x comes with good quality TiM bundled with them so need to buy additional TiM unless OP is buying some 2nd hand cooler.

Okay so last question, will it fit in CM 690 II cabinet? the 158mm height req seems a very tight fit to me

OP
A

anaklusmos

Youngling
Sorry, forgot to update here.
Temps went from 65 degrees idle and 97 degrees load to 40-45 idle and 55-60 load.
Drastic reduce in temps i must say, though the added fan noise is a bit bothersome

Top Bottom