Corsair VS450

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The main results are different because the second value is in minus seconds ( ? ) :confused:

The power-good signal lasts longer than the hold-up time, meaning it drops when the rails are already out of spec. Which is bad.

I had tried this with top 2 UPS - APC and Microtek ( top in indian brands ) .. both brand new purchased by me .. even tested on 0 load, no monitor etc..
on steady input pc would only restart 1-2 out of 10 times .. but on fluctuations it would restart 6-7 out of 10 times with a good heavy stabiliser installed at mains that takes input from as low as 90v... maximum available in market

the psu was ofcourse crappy but then corsair vs450 seems to be exhibiting the same behaviour of low hold up times

You did not mention your PSU. And nobody is going to suggest you Corsair VS series here or on any decent hardware forum. Heck on tomshardware forum the senior members will never suggest you to get CX series. Corsair VS series is the lowest quality series in entire Corsair's lineup. There are about 10 series above it. Good quality PSUs are expensive.

sumit05

In the zone
The power-good signal lasts longer than the hold-up time, meaning it drops when the rails are already out of spec. Which is bad.

You did not mention your PSU. And nobody is going to suggest you Corsair VS series here or on any decent hardware forum. Heck on tomshardware forum the senior members will never suggest you to get CX series. Corsair VS series is the lowest quality series in entire Corsair's lineup. There are about 10 series above it. Good quality PSUs are expensive.

Why TH member won't suggest CX??

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Certifications doesn't mean much. Even 80Plus Cert doesn't really tell the quality of a PSU, just the efficiency and that too at 30 C temperature. Besides organizations can be bribed. *ahem* Maggi noodles. What we need is at-least 3 different individual professionals that review electronic products independently and make money through ads or something.

Unlikely. BIS certification worked like a charm for pre-built PCs and notebooks. Its only smaller than HP, Dell, etc. companies had tough time. Major companies are not going to bother with bribing since they get a retail unit well in advance and get it approved just in time for release date + they have to meet other international standards which usually passes off with flying colours. The part that DIY components earn money usually stays with the distributor while expenses+ salaries are paid from main HQ. Distributors are not going to pay bribes out of their pocket and neither will the main HQ. less profits in sales and marketing + ad cost prevents them. Can't say the same for other electronics for BIS certification but it should be all good for desktop components and prebuilt systems. OWC that makes components for MAC confirmed the same as well.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz

then that means there is something wrong with that particular PSU ..

anyways i found this article from the manufacturer themselves and this finally settles the uncertainty/doubt

The Importance of Hold Up Time – FSP GROU

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
then that means there is something wrong with that particular PSU ..

anyways i found this article from the manufacturer themselves and this finally settles the uncertainty/doubt

The Importance of Hold Up Time – FSP GROU

There wasn't anything uncertain about hold-up time. The thing that is uncertain is whether non true sinewave input damages a PSU over time.

And that PSU just didn't account for the hold-up time signal accuracy to cut costs.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
There wasn't anything uncertain about hold-up time. The thing that is uncertain is whether non true sinewave input damages a PSU over time.

if it was certain then why in last pages we were discussing about primary cap and Uf values in relation to hold up time ?
that article clarifies that the Hold up time is majorly dependent on the bulk cap whereas you were saying it's not

Regarding second question whether Non sinewave UPS damages the PSU or not .. this will never be clear conclusively i guess ..

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
if it was certain then why in last pages we were discussing about primary cap and Uf values in relation to hold up time ?
that article clarifies that the Hold up time is majorly dependent on the bulk cap whereas you were saying it's not

I never said it wasn't dependent on bulk caps. I said there may be more factors associated with it. The article is just trying to explain in layman's terms for the average customer, it doesn't go in depth.

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Sharing a weird experience i had recently with the VS 450.
I bought this PSU in June 2013 for the rig below. Didn't knew much about people saying it was crap or the whole VS series back then.
A week back i turned on my PC, all normal loading, windows started fine and everything. couple of minutes into using the PC, it turned off all of a sudden. I was like WTH, started again, checked CPU/GPU temps, all fine and then same thing. third time restart went to BIOS, did a fail safe defaults (was overclocked), and again shut down. Now opened the cabinet, looked fine, no smell thinking something shorted or burned out. Checked the PSU and it was hot, thought that what i feared of all the crap i have heard about this PSU had finally come true.
Started the PC again with cabinet open, all fans were running, CPU, GPU and 2 system fans but not the PSU fan. Now i do clean my cabinet regularly so thought it can't be blocked or something. But it wasn't, took a pen to give it a push and viola it was rotating again. Since then its been working good so far. Seems like a one off situation maybe

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
But it wasn't, took a pen to give it a push and viola it was rotating again. Since then its been working good so far. Seems like a one off situation maybe

To be fair it can happen with any power supply. I am not sure if these use ball bearing or sleeve ones. Its best to RMA it, saying that the fan is not spinning. Once the case is closed with such a PSU there's no telling what would happen. Brownie points to you for narrowing down the issue closely! :D

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I have been using VS450 for a nice build (specs in my signature), game continuously for hours and didn't face any issues till now. Its been only 5 months though, but I personally think its a VFM product.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Sharing a weird experience i had recently with the VS 450.
I bought this PSU in June 2013 for the rig below. Didn't knew much about people saying it was crap or the whole VS series back then.
A week back i turned on my PC, all normal loading, windows started fine and everything. couple of minutes into using the PC, it turned off all of a sudden. I was like WTH, started again, checked CPU/GPU temps, all fine and then same thing. third time restart went to BIOS, did a fail safe defaults (was overclocked), and again shut down. Now opened the cabinet, looked fine, no smell thinking something shorted or burned out. Checked the PSU and it was hot, thought that what i feared of all the crap i have heard about this PSU had finally come true.
Started the PC again with cabinet open, all fans were running, CPU, GPU and 2 system fans but not the PSU fan. Now i do clean my cabinet regularly so thought it can't be blocked or something. But it wasn't, took a pen to give it a push and viola it was rotating again. Since then its been working good so far. Seems like a one off situation maybe

Corsair VS450 was fine for your build with HD5670 , this is why it has been working good for 4 years .. the only reason it is considered bad is because it uses cheap capacitors , which degrade fast over time .. So it only affects "longevity" otherwise VS450 is a good budget unit.. they usually start to become problematic after warranty period ( 3-4 years ) expires

In your case it was the issue with sleeve bearing fan .. which is pretty common and widely used with other budget PSU .. and is prone to early failure , so not specific to this unit.. and it didn't even failed fully , just got jammed , could have happened with a good PSU having sleeve bearing fan as well..

but it would be better if you replace that PSU now after 4 years of service.. , the PSU may be functional , but you never know by now , if the capacitor is filtering the ripple properly or not , a high ripple is damaging to components.. and when this PSU eventually fails it might either die a peaceful death , or take other components with it .. even some of the good PSU's may take components with them when they fail ..

Though in corsair Vs450 favour ... i have heard 3-4 cases when the VS450 died it didn't kill other components ..
[MENTION=119688]true_lies[/MENTION] and [MENTION=273753]vineetSharma[/MENTION] any of using UPS with VS450 and is it working good ?

If yes can you please post your UPS models in this thread

*forum.digit.in/power-supply-cabine...ive-pfc-power-supply-compatibility-table.html

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom