Compatibilty between MoBo and RAM of my choice

ssb1551

Technomancer
I have selected the following MotherBoard to upgrade my Rig 2 in signature :
GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD GA-AB350M-GAMING 3 (AMD SOCKET AM4/RYZEN SERIES CPU/MAX 64GB DDR4-3200MHZ MEMORY)

And the RAM I have selected is :
Amazon.in: Buy Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz - CL15 - XMP 2.0 DDR4 Desktop Memory Kit for X99 and Z170 Chipset Online at Low Prices in India | Corsair Reviews & Ratings

I downloaded the Memory Support List from Gigabyte's webiste for the MoBo but didn't find the Memory module I have selected. Will the RAM module run if I decide to go ahead with the above 2 purchases? I understand that the memory module will run at 2400MHz if not overclocked.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Any help or POVs? Been more than 4 hours. Hoping to buy the RAM today as it is the last day of the sale

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Any help or POVs? Been more than 4 hours. Hoping to buy the RAM today as it is the last day of the sale
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000Mhz CL15 is compatible with your Motherboard. Go with it.
Mine is 8GB 2400Mhz and if I don't use XMP settings it stays at 2133Mhz otherwise @ 2400Mhz. Likewise, your RAM will stay at 2933Mhz by default and when you use XMP settings it will get boosted to either 3000Mhz or 3200Mhz. Confirm with others also.

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Research more about that motherboard .. some people are reporting high VRM temps on that board with overclocks

B350 VRM temps • r/Amd
VRM temps.

also ask Rcuber , he is using it

50K PC Upgrade for Gaming/Streaming - CPU+ RAM + MOBO

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Asus Prime B350 plus ., according to the german review linked above.. But confirm with others as well , research more thoroughly ( reddit , overclock.net etc ) and then decide ..

ASUS MOTHERBOARD PRIME B350-PLUS (AMD SOCKET AM4/RYZEN SERIES CPU/MAX 64GB DDR4-3200MHZ MEMORY)

Last edited:
OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000Mhz CL15 is compatible with your Motherboard. Go with it.
Mine is 8GB 2400Mhz and if I don't use XMP settings it stays at 2133Mhz otherwise @ 2400Mhz. Likewise, your RAM will stay at 2933Mhz by default and when you use XMP settings it will get boosted to either 300Mhz or 3200Mhz. Confirm with others also.

bssunilreddy - Is that a typo? Do You mean 2133MHz ? I doubt the default frequency of RAM will be 2933MHz.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
bssunilreddy - Is that a typo? Do You mean 2133MHz ? I doubt the default frequency of RAM will be 2933MHz.
For me the default frequency of my 2400mhz ram is 2133mhz.
Since you are going with 3000mhz your default frequency will be either 2666mhz or 2933mhz.
Confirm with those who are using 3000mhz ram.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
bssunilreddy Found this community blog about the memory speeds :
Gaming: Tips for Building a Better AMD Ryzen™ S... | Community

Please read the Point 1 under "Memory Matters" section. It states "The AMD Ryzen™ processor does not offer memory dividers for DDR4-3000 or DDR4-3400.". Does that mean that the Memory Module I purchased will operate at 2133MHz or 2667MHz?

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Thanks for the link @ssb1551, I was looking for the official supported configurations by AMD. Yes, you are correct that your module will run at 2667MHz (as its single channel/single stick), and it can max. run at 2933MHz when overclocked. There is currently no way to run it at exact 3000MHz as per the point 1.
To know how much stable would 2933MHz be, you may want to check on google.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Finally purchased the CM Hyper 212 Turbo Red LED Cooler for 3k from theitdepot. The pictures are on the 'Post Your Latest Purchase' thread. Looks good but also gigantic. Wonder how the cooling will be like when I overclock the 1600X.

Reactions: nac
OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Received the Processor from Amazon but got Ryzen 5 1600 instead of Ryzen 5 1600X. Immediately called up the Customer Care and informed them. Also sent email to cs-reply@amazon.in and Amazon India VP. What are the chances I'll get the correct CPU or my cash back?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Received the Processor from Amazon but got Ryzen 5 1600 instead of Ryzen 5 1600X. Immediately called up the Customer Care and informed them. Also sent email to cs-reply@amazon.in and Amazon India VP. What are the chances I'll get the correct CPU or my cash back?
Very high. But in case you don't get anything after 10-15 days, email/tweet to Jeff Bezos directly.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Guys, Amazon has initiated the refund process. I have already got the 5k gift card in my Amazon.in account. 15k will reflect in my credit card in 2-3 business days. Also since a CPU comes under the non-returnable items I dont have to give back the Ryzen 5 1600. So my dilemma is @SaiyanGoku @bssunilreddy @gta5 @Vineet Sharma @nac - should I still order a 1600X or use this 1600 (which is like a free item for me)?

Will there be a significant difference between 1600 and 1600X? I'll use the system mostly for Virtualization like 2 or 3 VMs at most. And a little bit of gaming though mostly for Diablo 3.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Guys, Amazon has initiated the refund process. I have already got the 5k gift card in my Amazon.in account. 15k will reflect in my credit card in 2-3 business days. Also since a CPU comes under the non-returnable items I dont have to give back the Ryzen 5 1600. So my dilemma is @SaiyanGoku @bssunilreddy @gta5 @Vineet Sharma @nac - should I still order a 1600X or use this 1600 (which is like a free item for me)?

Will there be a significant difference between 1600 and 1600X? I'll use the system mostly for Virtualization like 2 or 3 VMs at most. And a little bit of gaming though mostly for Diablo 3.
Really!!! I don't think they will let us keep it. If that's the deal, everyone loves to receive wrong item ;)

You can use this or sell it to someone and use the fund to buy 1600x or even 1700.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

Is this for real?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom