Changing motherboard without reinstalling windows ?

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
^I changed my motherboard to a new one based on a different chipset but my system booted up with the old copy of windows 10 that was already installed just fine-it just took a while to detect and reconfigure itself to work with the new hardware and after that it started functioning normally.

I suspect you didn't adjust the boot sequence for your hdds in the bios properly and so it probably failed to load windows 10,or your hdd's boot sector might have become corrupt and so it couldn't start the OS.

Last edited:

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
^I changed my motherboard to a new one based on a different chipset but my system booted up with the old copy of windows 10 that was already installed just fine-it just took a while to detect and reconfigure itself to work with the new hardware and after that it started functioning normally.

I suspect you didn't adjust the boot sequence for your hdds in the bios properly and so it probably failed to load windows 10,or your hdd's boot sector might have become corrupt and so it couldn't start the OS.

ok. thats nice..
windows 10 on my old computer's hdd was also 1-2 year old, 2015-2016 version. may be thats why it didn't worked and reconfigured itself.

Yep for the 1st boot, I didn't checked bios setup. then I corrected it and installed 10 on new hdd.
May be your right, old hdd boot sector may be corrupted..

anyway I formatted old hdd.

kunnusingh

Journeyman
If you have a genuine windows and even If it ask you for key after changing hardware then you can re-enter your key and activate your license.

I never face this type of issue, I simply make a clone of HDD with new disk and nothing happened even If I change hardware, etc. (Volume license on server however windows ask for key on ever 3 to 6 month because of my license is Volume license otherwise normal windows home license does not ask this frequently.)

Top Bottom