Career in programming

Deadman

Journeyman
Being a mechanical engineer and ending up doing some crappy job which i absolutely hate i want to shift my path to programming.
Coding is not a joke i know but will 1 year of hard work can get me a job. Atleast i will love what i am doing though i have never code before.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
i know but will 1 year of hard work can get me a job.
It took me about 2 years, to start to 'feel' like a programmer, but maybe I am a slow learner. I don't know about jobs...
Before you decide, you can try to learn coding as a hobby on the side, to see even if its your thing or not.

icebags

Technomancer
programming job is pretty competitive nowadays in india. there is already a huge crowd and to stay ahead of them u will always have to upgrade urself, work harder at office, look for opportunities all the time and will have never to let go the books. working environments at most of the cases are very harsh, companies will treat u like slaves, and its upto u if u want to take challenge.

but, if ur salary is decent at ur current job and has appropriate opportunities, they perhaps its a better choice not to leave. most core engineering jobs dont look so technical, i know..... but as long as it sustains ur life it's a job. :)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
If you were in mechanical engineering, you should have some minor experience in C coding right ? If so, Id suggest you develop it further and immediately jump to python ..
Typically in institutes, they would teach C++ and Java.. both of which are also good choices.. but IMO, python is much easier to get into for a beginner.. Also im tagging [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION], he might answer this better as he's a full time programmer ( i think)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Being a mechanical engineer and ending up doing some crappy job which i absolutely hate i want to shift my path to programming.
Coding is not a joke i know but will 1 year of hard work can get me a job. Atleast i will love what i am doing though i have never code before.

You say if you do programming, you would be 'doing somethnig which you love'. But you also say you never programmed before.
So are you just speculating that you "would" love programming?

I am asking this since if you think Felicity cracking her fingers on a keyboard and hacking secret military organization in seconds, is NOT programming. (Or if you didn't get the Arrow reference, it's not the typical hackers who are shown in films).

Programming isn't glamour. Programming is often mundane activity being performed late in night, or under your Team Leader's pressure and it requires to support your tools in extra time. Programming is not just the end result, but the process of conception, planning, drawing a framework, developing a prototype, creating the tools/softwares/service and then testing it for eventual bugs that would creep up no matter how carefully you have programmed it. And then listening from the clients that they "actually wanted something else". Programming is "not just coding", it involves various other aspects that one probably never think of before .

Programming is not programming, it's actually a Mindset. Mindset of "problem solving" abilities, and a mind that tries to get into the "how". Bonus marks if you also try to get into the "why" of things. (Mostly, to think over "why" is a Manager's job). Programming is also the "willingness" and the "attitude" to solve things that most of the time would seem impossible.

Yes, it's a rewarding experience. To be able to create something from nothing and seeing it in action have a feeling that not most can experience.

So first think about that. And then we can proceed further.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Since you are new to programming and not from a Computer Science background, it would be wise if you brush up some fundamentals first.

The most fundamental thing that is the very foundation of programming is Boolean logic. I'd suggest you study this in brief (no need to go in depth) before you begin to learn a programming language. Also, you should try to learn algorithms and flow charts.

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
I am asking this since if you think Felicity cracking his fingers on a keyboard and hacking secret military organization in seconds, is NOT programming. (Or if you didn't get the Arrow reference, it's not the typical hackers who are shown in films)..
Never thought about this stupid things. I think more of as an app developer. Because of scarcity of resources, material before i could not learn but may be i can start as a hobby and if i am good at it i will look for a job.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Never thought about this stupid things. I think more of as an app developer. Because of scarcity of resources, material before i could not learn but may be i can start as a hobby and if i am good at it i will look for a job.

Never make you hobby your job. you cannot enjoy both. Thats what happened to me.

How much time have you spend on researching on what kind of job you want to do? What are the backup options you are having just in case you take the gamble and fail miserably? can you risk getting into a entry level job with low pay? because when you switch your career to something new you will be treated as a fresher.

if you want to get into app development then start with HTML5 apps. later you will need Java.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
True, coding is a broad term. Coding for what ? Industry ? Function ? One can even code scripts using Python, hence the excellent advise given above.

All the Best

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
Never make you hobby your job. you cannot enjoy both. Thats what happened to me.

How much time have you spend on researching on what kind of job you want to do? What are the backup options you are having just in case you take the gamble and fail miserably? can you risk getting into a entry level job with low pay? because when you switch your career to something new you will be treated as a fresher.

if you want to get into app development then start with HTML5 apps. later you will need Java.
I am currently on a low pay job so it doesn't matter much as for now. But if i get some guidance here i can make most of it as i have got some genuine contacts out there.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

Now you are talking sense. Take it up as a hobby. If you are totally new to programming, you can only grasp the concepts, learn some programming language gain hands-on experience in making algorithms and solving mathematical problems using code. There's only so much you can do in a year.

If you intent to go into App development, you should try learning, HTML5 and Java as suggested already. Start it as a hobby as you said. Then you can start to look for a job, if you believe you can pursue it full time.

That seems counter intuitive, but if I think about it, yes it does make sense a bit. That's little deep. Maybe you can elaborate what happened to you. Maybe some other time, if not on this thread.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
You say if you do programming, you would be 'doing somethnig which you love'. But you also say you never programmed before.
So are you just speculating that you "would" love programming?

I am asking this since if you think Felicity cracking her fingers on a keyboard and hacking secret military organization in seconds, is NOT programming. (Or if you didn't get the Arrow reference, it's not the typical hackers who are shown in films).

Programming isn't glamour. Programming is often mundane activity being performed late in night, or under your Team Leader's pressure and it requires to support your tools in extra time. Programming is not just the end result, but the process of conception, planning, drawing a framework, developing a prototype, creating the tools/softwares/service and then testing it for eventual bugs that would creep up no matter how carefully you have programmed it. And then listening from the clients that they "actually wanted something else". Programming is "not just coding", it involves various other aspects that one probably never think of before .

Programming is not programming, it's actually a Mindset. Mindset of "problem solving" abilities, and a mind that tries to get into the "how". Bonus marks if you also try to get into the "why" of things. (Mostly, to think over "why" is a Manager's job). Programming is also the "willingness" and the "attitude" to solve things that most of the time would seem impossible.

Yes, it's a rewarding experience. To be able to create something from nothing and seeing it in action have a feeling that not most can experience.

So first think about that. And then we can proceed further.

Wah wah wah

Mere to aankhon mein ansu a gaye bhaisaab!

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
Can someone explain the necessary steps besides learning programming languages.
Also as an entry level programmer which field will be more suitable.

Well, 1st off its career, not "Carrier". thank you very much.
Try out coursera and edx for learning new programming languages. :) I recently join a course that teaches you the basics of coding using Scratch. Its a neat lil' program developed by MIT. And the beginner's java course starts in a few days in EDX. Try and get the paid certificates. I'll help you, i think. :)

Myself, i am 2nd Sem CSE Student. So, i don't know much. But do know that its not as easy as people say it. CSE isn't the easiest branch of egg FYI, period.

sksundram

In the zone
@OP. I have to say it bluntly. None of the answers here are up to the mark apart from the one provided by Vyom. You want to dive in the ocean of programming and that's an applauding thought. One of the hurdles that new divers have to face is that they don't know where to start. There are different computer languages that one has to learn to cross the bridge and finally land up to a job worth satisfactory. I suggest you to choose the path of web development.

First, you don't need a solid foundation of math/algorithms to jump on to it. Second, the time required from start to finish (in the sense that you find a web development job) is relatively much less as opposed to diving into other fields of computer programming. Lastly, It's a high paying field. Web-developers are one of the best paid.

Now, where to start?

First, watch the video provided below.

After watching the video, you will have a good idea of the path you need to follow.

Second, how to learn?

• This is the first thing that you need to do. Visit this link: HTML & CSS | Codecademy. Click on the big & bold START button. Complete this course. Do sign up when it asks you to. The reason why I mentioned this course is that you will get a fair idea of the things to come/learn in the future. This is just warming up.
  • Visit this: Learn to Code JavaScript and get a Coding Job by Helping Nonprofits | Free Code Camp. Sign up and follow all the instructions. First you have to complete 800 hours of tutorials and then additional 800 hours of real world projects. You will be sufficiently able to find a job for yourself after that. But you have to hone up your skills further and for that you have to practice, practice and practice.
  • If you know how to workaround something which doesn't come free then take a serious look at *teamtreehouse.com/. When it comes to teaching web technologies, they are the best. I strongly recommend you to follow their videos. They are much detailed and follow a very agile path.

I don't want to clutter your mind by providing additional useful resources as there are many but for now just do as mentioned. Just follow along and practice. That's the way to success.

All the best.

Last edited:

ankush28

Bazinga
Learn and understand computer science - logic, algorithms... Programming is just tool for CS ;)

Start here - *cs50.edx.org It's online edition of Harvard University's CS50.
~4 month for CS50x (Teaches you Scratch, C, Data structures, PHP, MySQL, HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery)

~2 month for mastering any language

Within 6 month you'll have enough knowledge to get a job.

I am getting my mechanical engineering diploma next year. I don't hate it, I just love C.S. too, so I took CS50x. Currently I am working on final problem set and final project for CS50x >.<

Watch the trailer!
[YOUTUBE]1Cvp1lZaE2w[/YOUTUBE]

And here is Steve Ballmer(Former CEO of Microsoft) "selling CS50"

[YOUTUBE]El2mr5aS8y0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
I have started cs50 course and watched few videos but due to limited Internet problem i am not able download cs50 appliance.1 week is already over now and i have not submitted any project. Also there is no notification in my email or something telling me to complete the project.
I intend to do this course seriously and for certification as well but as for now i am learning python so i dont want to get mixed up.

ankush28

Bazinga
I have started cs50 course and watched few videos but due to limited Internet problem i am not able download cs50 appliance. 1 week is already over now and i have not submitted any project. Also there is no notification in my email or something telling me to complete the project.
I intend to do this course seriously and for certification as well but as for now i am learning python so i dont want to get mixed up.

1. Ask on *www.facebook.com/groups/cs50/ you'll probably find someone in your city. Ask for help.
2. They will never notify you for submitting psets and final project. You just have to submit it by yourself... before 31st jan to get certificate.
3. I used to think python was best as first language, after taking cs50 my view is completely changes. C is much better as first programming language.

I don't want to clutter your mind by providing additional useful resources as there are many but for now just do as mentioned. Just follow along and practice. That's the way to success.

Really helpful ! Is there a site like codeacademy.com for SQL? CodeAcademy doesn't have anything on SQL. The online environment for execution and learning is really great but i need something similar on SQL.

Top Bottom