Can ADSL Splitter be used to connect two phones instruments in parallel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
There are many ADSL Splitters available on online sites like this & this

All of them say that they are ADSL splitters, it splits the voice and data and output one to telephone and another to ADSL modem.

My question is can the same device be used to split an incoming phone line to 2 telephone instruments, both being voice only?
Thanks

dissel

Cyborg Agent
you need a phone line splitters to hook up two telephone sets - So the scenario must be like:-

Main Line ->ADSL Spliter -> Two Out Put ->Output 1. ADSL modem

Output 2. Phone Line Splitter ->Two Telephone Set hooked as parallel.

Make sure the phone line splitters is in high quality which doesn't generate any noise/interference which may hamper the BroadBand connectivity.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the input. I asked for telephone line splitter at a local electrical shop.
What he gave me has 'Phone' & 'Modem' written at respective output ports, but it worked with two telephone instruments somehow.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need something like this:
RJ11 1 to 2 Female Plug Telephone Modular Splitter Jointer 2PCS Combo | eBay
Similar ones can be found in local electronics shop for less.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
@dissel[/USER] What does an ADSL splitter filters, data or voice ?

Here ADSL Splitter, I want to mean the one comes with ADSL modem's/router's box - If another one of similar thing do the trick then it is the best one can make it work.
..and here OP seems already done that.
Back in the Land Line days, there is the plastic box available known as phone line splitters/parallel box which can take one RJ11 cable one side and output to 3/ 4 RJ11 port another side and thus make the parallel phone line.

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I mean, it filters either data or voice. I forgot which one. I have a feeling that data is filtered out of voice.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It filters frequency(to be precise,it allows only lower frequencies to pass associated with voice),data works at higher frequency while voice works at lower frequency in the same copper wire.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Well then whatever I got from the local market must be basic parallel lines wired inside the splitter. Incidentally it does the job. The mention on 'Phone' & 'Modem' at respective outputs may be meaningless at all. It's a made in china item got it for just Rs 40!!

ryansmith123

Right off the assembly line
ADSL POTS Splitter can be useful to you. Fluke Networks ADSL Splitter is tough, small and lightweight for every day use by field technicians in conjunction with a butt-in test set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom