Camera talk...

sujoyp

Grand Master
smartphones have the advantage of small compact multipurpose and image can be shared quickly ...donno how compact it can be if it become ILC

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
smartphones have the advantage of small compact multipurpose and image can be shared quickly ...donno how compact it can be if it become ILC
For those who buy ILC solely for the image quality will pick up the smartphone if they are as good. With dual camera, they are simulating the look one could get with fast lens. People will have little more choice.

sujoyp

Grand Master
the phone camera are only targeting people who are getting these big cameras just for casual shots and using at auto mode most of the time. The photography enthusiast will not be bothered.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, enthusiasts won't be bothered. But if the majority of buyers are not enthusiasts/hobbyists, manufacturers can't sell many units. When they have to make less no. of units, cost per unit increases. In fact, I am seeing that trend. In 2011, value of one unit was about 34k, in 2016 it's about 45k. (Shipment value | Source: CIPA)

100D, 750D, D5500 all these cameras launched 2-4 yrs ago and none of these models's price fell below 40k INR. In fact, there was no significant price drop.
550D, 600D, D5100, D5200 cost more than 40k when launched but after a year or two, their prices were sub 30k.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Actually manufacturers are pushing the price upwards slowly.. but I dont think its related to price per unit. When I bought D3100 +18-55 it cost me 29k now that same combo and a zoom lens cost you 34k ...which cost me 29k+11k 4-5yr back
after that the only new purchase i did was my D7000 body and bought all lenses used.

Reactions: nac

raja manuel

In the zone
After Raja talked about back button focus, I tried BBF before my first shoot and stick with that when shooting at the weddings. Though it was little confusing at the start (after using shutter button AF for a very long time), I still used BBF.

I don't know how much these 11/61/65 AF points are useful for me (for still photography using view finder) or I don't know how to make use of them during shoot. I don't find it comfortable moving focus point when shooting.
I use single point AF, center point. I focus, re-compose and shoot. This is how I have been shooting for years. Other photographers move AF points and shoot. I thought moving AF would be faster and more accurate but when I tried it was time consuming for me esp. with 60+ focus points. Focus and re-composing is faster, I find. Even with 8-way multi controller, I don't find it easy/fast.

How do you guys shooting? Do you guys move AF points to off-center? Can you able to do it quickly?

I do change the active autofocus points but my camera only has 9 :) I haven't spent enough time with cameras that have a large number of autofocus points but from what little I have read you are not supposed to hunt from amongst 65 points. You should choose a group of autofocus points to keep active and only choose from them (I may be wrong about this). If you get used to BBF, changing the autofocus points quickly is not difficult. Thumb on the autofocus points selector button, twirl the wheel, shift thumb to focus button and press, and then recompose if you need to. You can get the hang of it with practise. The shallower your depth of field, the more accurate your focusing needs to be and the more importance you need to pay to selecting the right autofocus point.

That said, I do use centre point focus and recompose in some situations, typically when either light or contrast prevent the other autofocus points from locking.

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I haven't spent enough time with cameras that have a large number of autofocus points but from what little I have read you are not supposed to hunt from amongst 65 points. You should choose a group of autofocus points to keep active and only choose from them (I may be wrong about this). If you get used to BBF, changing the autofocus points quickly is not difficult. Thumb on the autofocus points selector button, twirl the wheel, shift thumb to focus button and press, and then recompose if you need to. You can get the hang of it with practise. The shallower your depth of field, the more accurate your focusing needs to be and the more importance you need to pay to selecting the right autofocus point.

That said, I do use centre point focus and recompose in some situations, typically when either light or contrast prevent the other autofocus points from locking.
Yeah, I have been googling and reading/watching about this. I even bump into one argument that why BBF may not be as useful as few years ago. With latest cameras having lot of AF points and with good spread...
I read we can disable AF area options, not sure about disabling AF points. I will google and see if I can find any.
Right, only with practice it will become easy and quick.

Seems like I am the only one using only center point AF. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
And here I'm a manual lens user shooting on full manual most of the time
Still find it hard to get amazing focus on auto
Enjoy shooting in manual uh!!!
That sure would be challenging esp. when you're shooting wide open. I hope Sony's focus peaking would help to a great extent in that regard.

Have been watching/reading about moving focus points. I kinda feel that using just center point focus and recompose would be faster than moving focus points as long as I am shooting still subject/portraits even when shooting wide open. I am not gonna shoot up close to the subject and that recomposing is not gonna throw the focus off (I think). When I am shooting close like tight head shot, I guess that's when I have to use nearest focus point. For that I need to practice moving AF points.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Enjoy shooting in manual uh!!!
That sure would be challenging esp. when you're shooting wide open. I hope Sony's focus peaking would help to a great extent in that regard.

Have been watching/reading about moving focus points. I kinda feel that using just center point focus and recompose would be faster than moving focus points as long as I am shooting still subject/portraits even when shooting wide open. I am not gonna shoot up close to the subject and that recomposing is not gonna throw the focus off (I think). When I am shooting close like tight head shot, I guess that's when I have to use nearest focus point. For that I need to practice moving AF points.
Sony focus peaking is pretty good. Plus over time you get used to seeing what a focused edge looks like (shimmering, slight distortion) so you begin to use that as well.

Not all that good for fast moving stuff though. But have been able to use it a lot for functions and events

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
But have been able to use it a lot for functions and events
Wow!!! Surprised.
You almost always shooting in manual?

Yet to try my hands on a MILC. Just little curious how the EVF is. I don't think I have seen anyone using in person, when I do I will sure ask them and see. :)

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
@sujoyp

Can the muli selector button in Nikon be customized to directly access things like ISO, WB, AF mode and all like in Canon?

1300D vs D3400

*priceguru.mu/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/383x383/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/r/priceguru-canon-1300d-back.jpg *www.dummies.com/wp-content/uploads/nikond3400-back-view.jpg

sujoyp

Grand Master
No the multi selector is only there to nevigate in the menus..it dosnt work as shortcut..thats the reason d7xxx series is popular coz of huge number of buttons

Sent from my E5563 using Tapatalk

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No the multi selector is only there to nevigate in the menus..it dosnt work as shortcut..thats the reason d7xxx series is popular coz of huge number of buttons
So quickest way to access to some of the key settings is by pressing "i" button and navigate using multi controller to select the settings. :( I was kinda hoping that we could customize multi controller.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac at least in my d3100 it was not possible..thats the reason they say ui of nikon is not good..

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nac at least in my d3100 it was not possible..thats the reason they say ui of nikon is not good..
:D
I guess it's not just with D3100, even with other Nikon cameras (including D7000) multi controller can't be customized, right?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Yup multicontroller cant be customised... D7000 have a custom button and BFF button can be customised a bit..other then this there is a button for everything

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yup multicontroller cant be customised... D7000 have a custom button and BFF button can be customised a bit..other then this there is a button for everything
I am wrestling with the thoughts of which one I should consider when I am buying.

Canon's button layout, magic lantern, price and a bit of a soft corner as I already have Canon :)
vs
Nikon's IQ, battery life

OP
nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Nikon has announced D850, and it's impressive.

Like they say, market leader doesn't bother much wrt. product update, offering features. On the other hand, underdogs pushing their limits.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nac what ever you get...check that it has sufficient buttons to quickly change the setup without looking at the screen .

I think canon has reduced the buttons on 70D and included touch screen, it seems innovative but not so much when you want to change setting on fly or you are shooting in rains .
I may seems bit old style, but button layout really effects a lot.

Top Bottom