Buying advice needed..... Seriously!

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Currently I'm using two phones & two tablets : iphone 4 8GB & oneplus one 64GB, iPad mini 1st Gen & Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I use iphone as my primary phone device & been using it since 2 years, i take it everywhere i go. I use it for calls, sms,Whatsapp, Facebook, browsing the web, Audio Podcasts, Evernote, Banking, Music purchases, checking emails. For other uses, I switch to the Oneplus one (with no SIM) like YouTube, BitTorrent Pro, watching tv series, movies, browsing the web. The Samsung tab is used by mother, iPad mini is the least used device. It's used for viewing video podcasts of favourite tech shows & sometimes YouTube when opo is on charge & by mom to view 99acres app as the Samsung tab runs jelly bean & 99acres don't have a compatible app. My wish is to have one phone instead of two which complicates things (want it to last atleast 2 years without feeling intimidated by new launches) , like when I am wearing slim fit trousers for office, I won't take the bigger phone as it's bulky, for days when I'm wearing a regular fit, I will take it with me but it has no use except if I have to take a picture. When im using OPO & if someone Whatsapps me then I have to go & pick up the iPhone & stop what I was doing, I hate this the most! It's where I think of Note 5's multi-window. I rarely listen to music but all of it is on iTunes (around just 70 songs) although I have a huge collection in my PC like every other Indian . The main issue centers around the OS. This is where my mind goes crazy like which one is the best for me! I didn't thought switching to a different os for making phone calls would be this complicated. Hail Apple for making me stick to their iOS despite the phone being less than average by today's standards, I mean it takes a while everytime I open Facebook, Whatsapp loads my messages everytime even if it comes seconds after locking the screen. Apps are crashing frequently. Tapatalk crashed twice when I was writing this thread, once I had written half of it. When I'm taking notes, the amount of time it takes to load Evernote clearly wants me to use another device but I use it since it looks cooler. But still my mind is saying such things won't happen if I use 6S. In a nutshell, you can't go worst than iPhone 4 8GB ROM with no expandable storage, 512 MB RAM in late 2015. iOS has its cons like no access to the filesystem, opening a file by multiple apps is a pita if you compare it to Android. It's counter intuitive to me as I have been a PC user since 2005.
As much as I like Android for its PC like operation, I hate it for being a battery hog, unexpected charging demands, this oneplus one is supposed to be a beast but I have to charge it twice or thrice a day when I am running it heavily (BitTorrent downloading, etc. I'm yet to play a game on it), un-cool apps (many will beg to differ), non-responsive touch sometimes, audio speaker goes wayward when loud, no music store available ( Google Play Music not available, I'm not ready for streaming services) , chrome browser is nowhere near to Safari in terms of usability, Android goes out of control when you discover things on forums like XDA, it's definitely not a thing to me to play with the phone. Those days are gone, today I just want a phone to work. The auto brightness feature of iPhone is a most loved feature. My Oneplus One although has adaptive lighting but you are good when you turn that off, screen keeps flickering for no reason. I use Lux auto brightness lite version where I have to control it manually. The Pro one adjusts automatically but I've read many reviews where people have wished they could go back to the lite version & its ongoing issues with Marshmallow. Tapatalk is acting weirdly in Android, I'm posting this thread on Chrome in OPO as the Tapatalk app wont allow me to post despite being logged in. In small, I hate android for being too much customizable, you don't know what is good for you! The best part of me loving android is I download the full multimedia content & watch it on the phone itself, theres no role of any other device here. But with iOS, I have to first download content on my PC and then sync with iTunes.

So suggest me whether I will be better off dumping the IPhone 4 & using OPO as my primary phone
OR
dumping both for iPhone 6S (now 6S vs 6S Plus is another story )
OR
dumping both for a flagship android.
OR
dumping the iPhone 4 & purchasing a 6S & keeping the OPO for other purposes.

1. Budget? upto 70k (I'll be purchasing on EMI using Bajaj FinServ)

2. Display type and size? I thought 5" inches is the sweet spot but I am seeing people everywhere are loving the bigger 5.5" screens. Suggest which one will suit best.

3. Dual sim?Not a concern.

4. Preferred choice of brand? Apple, Samsung, Nexus, Motorola. Preferably which has good service & support. I have had good feedback with Apple.

5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)? Every smartphone has it all so I think this question is obsolete.

6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc). Read above.

7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready). 3G is ok.

8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)? Primarily Phone calls, Whatsapp, TV series, Movies, Internet surfing.

9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? iPhone 6S & Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Nexus 6P all 64GB variants darker colors.

10. Any other info that you want to share: Yeah, read above .

Last edited:
That's too long, but I read it

Even though many people like 5.5" devices n advice to go for it, it is not necessary to go for it.
I myself use a 4.6" device for mainly calls, browsing internet, chatting (i watch videos on my phone only while travelling). I personally feel 5.5" is too big, 5" is manageable.... Still its your call

As budget is not a issue, iphone 6S maybe good for you, still keeping in mind your multimedia usage android is much better

If you are opting for phablet remember that Note 5 & 6S plus have almost same physical dimensions but Note 5 has a bigger screen, better battery life & quick charging. Do get the 64GB version. 6P is also a good option but I found the Touchwiz of my dad's Galaxy A8 much better than my Xperia UI (its much better than earlier, no lags)

For 5" device, S6/Edge is a good choice but battery life is average(worse than that of S5, better or at par with 6S though), but quick charging balances that out (which 6S doesn't have)

I'll say dump both phones & get a 5" or 5.5" device with good battery life, preferably android

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
That's too long, but I read it

Even though many people like 5.5" devices n advice to go for it, it is not necessary to go for it.
I myself use a 4.6" device for mainly calls, browsing internet, chatting (i watch videos on my phone only while travelling). I personally feel 5.5" is too big, 5" is manageable.... Still its your call

As budget is not a issue, iphone 6S maybe good for you, still keeping in mind your multimedia usage android is much better

If you are opting for phablet remember that Note 5 & 6S plus have almost same physical dimensions but Note 5 has a bigger screen, better battery life & quick charging. Do get the 64GB version. 6P is also a good option but I found the Touchwiz of my dad's Galaxy A8 much better than my Xperia UI (its much better than earlier, no lags)

For 5" device, S6/Edge is a good choice but battery life is average(worse than that of S5, better or at par with 6S though), but quick charging balances that out (which 6S doesn't have)

I'll say dump both phones & get a 5" or 5.5" device with good battery life, preferably android
I too think 6S is the perfect choice considering its display size & my familiarity with iOS. But I fear that I might have grudges afterwards that I didn't go for the bigger screen. On the other hand, if I do go for the big screen & if my slim fit trousers are feeling weird than I'll be the dumbest guy on the planet .
Battery life I've heard is better on iOS than its android counterparts because of optimizations.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
you can also keep/buy an iphone and get a decent windows tab to sync on the go ;)
but I think 6S is your one true love going by your long read :D
Plus frankly Ive found iPhones are supported longer than most android flagships anyways(a good example is your Samsung tab,even iPhone 4 got updates for quite a long time)

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
you can also keep/buy an iphone and get a decent windows tab to sync on the go ;)
but I think 6S is your one true love going by your long read :D
Plus frankly Ive found iPhones are supported longer than most android flagships anyways(a good example is your Samsung tab,even iPhone 4 got updates for quite a long time)
that sounds intriguing, although it sounds weird to have a companion even after purchasing such an expensive device but it would solve problems of saving power by not keeping the PC on unnecessarily. However, is there any player on iOS which is better than MX? I find it playing almost every format & the subtitle searching & downloading feature is a gem. I've seen issues of licensing in Players on the App Store.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
dumping the iPhone 4 & purchasing a 6S & keeping the OPO for other purposes.

IMO Go for this option. You are familiar with iOS and the iphone 6s(with 2gb ram) will last you long backed by good after sales service.Use the OPO for Media downloading and other stuff.Since you probably wont be downloading and viewing movies in office ,carry only the smaller iphone 6s :)

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
IMO Go for this option. You are familiar with igloo S and the iphone 6s(with 2gb ram) will last you long backed by good after sales service.Use the OPO for Media downloading and other stuff.Since you probably wont be downloading and viewing movies in office ,carry only the smaller iphone 6s :)
That seems like the best option too..this will serve my android thirst needs... but still I'll be left with two phones. I'll have to live with the annoyance of switching b/w the phones while at home for things like whatsapp, i'll have to continue using opo as everything but a phone.

bubusam13

Human
What ever phone you purchase, at the end battery matters bro. No matter whatever features you have, all will be powered by the battery. So choose one with good battery backup.
I own a Samsung premium device but now planning to buy a Lenovo with 4000mah battery. The Samsung runs out quick with a good usage of 3G.

One of my friend bought iPhone 6S and sometimes I find it's camera quality at par with my Nikon. It's other features also impressed me.

the.one

In the zone
I currently have a Oneplus X for my phone/casual photography/utility-app needs. Mi Pad for browsing/downloading multimedia & a spare iPad mini for browsing and reading. Im quite liking this setup right now.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
What ever phone you purchase, at the end battery matters bro. No matter whatever features you have, all will be powered by the battery. So choose one with good battery backup.
I own a Samsung premium device but now planning to buy a Lenovo with 4000mah battery. The Samsung runs out quick with a good usage of 3G.

One of my friend bought iPhone 6S and sometimes I find it's camera quality at par with my Nikon. It's other features also impressed me.
What about your friend's battery performance? How much does it last on average usage?

Last year's android flagships like S5, M8 & Z3 had much better battery life than current android flagships & even 6S... 6S has battery life at par with current android flagships like S6 & Z5

As far as optimizations of iOS is concerned, yeah it is better optimized, but iphones have smaller battery capacity compared to android ones

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Last year's android flagships like S5, M8 & Z3 had much better battery life than current android flagships & even 6S... 6S has battery life at par with current android flagships like S6 & Z5

As far as optimizations of iOS is concerned, yeah it is better optimized, but iphones have smaller battery capacity compared to android ones

Yes, if we go by the numbers then 6S & Plus are having lesser capacity than even their previous years models but they are saying battery life is better in this years models.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
I was about to make the purchase yesterday but stopped since the down payment of ₹22,875/- to be paid by my credit card would be due by 20th January.. If I make this purchase on the 1st of January then due date will be extended to 20th February (Monthly Billing cycle is of maximum 50 days of my bank starting from the 1st of every month). This I enquired at themobilestore shop & they're selling 6S 64GB (Space Grey) @ ₹66k (EMI= ₹5500 * 8 + ₹22875/- , Processing Fee= ₹875/-). Online retailers are not delivering here. I saw a couple of videos of 6S Plus & each one of them is impressed by its battery life. Big phone like 6S Plus will definitely feel awkward to hold but it will add that extra battery life. Though I saw another video by EverythingApplePro where he mentions that not all apps are optimised for the bigger Plus screen.

Last edited:
Yes, if we go by the numbers then 6S & Plus are having lesser capacity than even their previous years models but they are saying battery life is better in this years models.

iphones have good battery life, androids had excellent battery life, but took a step backwards to good for 2K display

6S has better battery life than 6

powerhoney

Cyborg Agent
I was about to make the purchase yesterday but stopped since the down payment of ₹22,875/- to be paid by my credit card would be due by 20th January.. If I make this purchase on the 1st of January then due date will be extended to 20th February (Monthly Billing cycle is of maximum 50 days of my bank starting from the 1st of every month). This I enquired at themobilestore shop & they're selling 6S 64GB (Space Grey) @ ₹66k (EMI= ₹5500 * 8 + ₹22875/- , Processing Fee= ₹875/-). Online retailers are not delivering here. I saw a couple of videos of 6S Plus & each one of them is impressed by its battery life. Big phone like 6S Plus will definitely feel awkward to hold but it will add that extra battery life. Though I saw another video by EverythingApplePro where he mentions that not all apps are optimised for the bigger Plus screen.

I know I will get hammered by the other users around here but I think you can go for the Meizu M2 Note... I am not trolling, it'll suit your needs and the Flyme OS skin that it runs on is a very good copy of, or rather from, iOS... Or maybe the Meizu MX5... :)

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
iphones have good battery life, androids had excellent battery life, but took a step backwards to good for 2K display

6S has better battery life than 6

Not the case with my OPO which has 1080p display. Its battery life sucks & the nukber of times the apps are updating is a huge data sucker. Same problem I have noticed with my friend's OPO. His battery life sucks.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I know I will get hammered by the other users around here but I think you can go for the Meizu M2 Note... I am not trolling, it'll suit your needs and the Flyme OS skin that it runs on is a very good copy of, or rather from, iOS... Or maybe the Meizu MX5... :)

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ is a beautiful fone and it has all kinds of high end features and is super slim.

Top Bottom