Building a pc for 40k.

Sarang\m/

Journeyman
Another of my friend wants to build a pc for deveopment needs. Not looking for a gaming pc this time.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly for development needs. He will be tinkering with multiple linux distros and using various ides. Also system should be able to play/stream bluray quality videos. RAM should be 16GB

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:Around 40k. Can extend to 45k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Different versions of linux.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: He wants everything to be fast and responsive so I have suggested Samsung EVO 256GB SSD for now. He will upgrade to SSD+HD combo later.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No monitor is required

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor keyboard and mouse will be reused

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Open to anything

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: The system should be responsive and should be upgradable later on. Planning to tinker with various distros of linux.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -44.8K

CPU: Intel Pentium G 4560 -4400,
Mobo: Asus H110M-C -5000,
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz 16GB -9000,
GPU: Sapphire RX570 4GB OC Pulse -15400,
PSU: Antec VP550P -4000,
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 -3500,
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB -3500.
TOTAL -44,800.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Budget -44.8K

CPU: Intel Pentium G 4560 -4400,
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz 16GB -9000,
GPU: Sapphire RX570 4GB OC Pulse -15400,
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB -3500.
TOTAL -44,800.
:facepalm:
OP doesn't wants the PC for gaming.
Why do you mess up the builds these days?

Try to include a R5 1400 and an entry level gpu (worth 5-6k) for display output.

Reactions: nac

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I don't think external GPU is required at all. The inbuild...ohh, none of the Ryzen processors have inbuild display capability, right?
Would it make more sense to go for an intel i7 + inbuild video rather than ryzen + external graphics card? Just asking.

Also, no need to shed 4k on Antec VP550P. Corsair VS450 comes at 2.3k which would be good enough for the build (Antec VP series is no better than Corsair VS series.)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
I don't think external GPU is required at all. The inbuild...ohh, none of the Ryzen processors have inbuild display capability, right?
Would it make more sense to go for an intel i7 + inbuild video rather than ryzen + external graphics card? Just asking.
i7 in 45k budget? Cheapest one would cost more than 20k.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Wouldn't an A320 mobo fit in this budget instead of a B350?
OP wants to upgrade later. I thought a nice ATX B350 board would be good. It's just a rough one. It's his choice, which way he wants to lean.
He can go for VS/VP instead of S12 II 430, a cheaper cabinet, 120GB SSD, mATX board, Value series memory.
BTW, Ryzen 1400 isn't hugely better than i5 7500

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
i7 in 45k budget? Cheapest one would cost more than 20k.

I said so because bssunilreddy was able to put 15k GC + 5k Processor in the budget.
I think i7 7700 (non K) is the better choice over Ryzen 1600x, as its

1. faster in everyday performance
2. I don't think extra 2 cores is going to help much considering the usage of the system. 4 core/8 threads of i7 should suffice very easily.
3. No need of external graphics card as i7 7700 comes with intel HD 630, which is more than enough for blueray/4K videos and even for occasional gaming.
4. When there is no graphics card, you don't need to spend a lot on *COSTLY but SAFE PSU's* (certified by many digitians here lol). Corsair VS450 would be more than enough.
5. i7 7700 comes with a cooler whereas 1600x doesn't. So additional 2k saved there.

Let me know your thoughts.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
OP what kind of development ? does it scale well with more threads/cores .. ?

Also, no need to shed 4k on Antec VP550P. Corsair VS450 comes at 2.3k which would be good enough for the build (Antec VP series is no better than Corsair VS series.)

No, Antec VP550P is wayy ahead of Corsair VS/CX .. It is made by Delta .. Antec VP450P , Vp500PC , VP600P are the crappy ones , same as Corsair VS..

spending on better PSU is also future proofing in addition to safety.. ..
rough estimates ..
On average A corsair Vs life would be around 3 years .. VP550P will last around 5-6 years .. A good PSU like Seasonic S12II can last 8-9 years , unless you are unlucky... the thing is when the PSU dies , it may kill your components with it .. even good PSU's , when they die they may take components with it .. so good PSU ensures longevity , minimize the risk of early failure and thus avoiding killing components ..

if budget is not tight , better invest in good PSU

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
OP what kind of development ? does it scale well with more threads/cores .. ?

The scaling should also be compared against i7's VFM, considering the strict budget.

No, Antec VP550P is wayy ahead of Corsair VS/CX .. It is made by Delta .. Antec VP450P , Vp500PC , VP600P are the crappy ones , same as Corsair VS..

Though VP550P is manufactured by Delta, it has chinese/japanese capacitors from local manufacturer. So no, its no better than Corsair VS. (source: Antec Basiq VP550P 550 W Review)
Also, please do not denote VS or VP as "crappy" ones. The local PSU's which come with local cabinets are actually crappy ones. If you go through the review of VS/VP PSU's, you will find that their performance is really really good (consistent power output, very well suppressed voltage ripple etc.). The only problem reviewers find are local chinese/japenese capacitors, which usually don't last long. But it shouldn't be a problem for budget users who aren't using power hungry systems or don't have much electricity problems at their home.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Though VP550P is manufactured by Delta, it has chinese/japanese capacitors from local manufacturer. So no, its no better than Corsair VS. (source: Antec Basiq VP550P 550 W Review)

All the 12v caps are Japanese , ( you PC mostly runs on 12v output ) ..

and Delta is great at using LTEC caps .. Delta designs it's PSU in a way where they are able to make Ltec Caps last long ....

VS vs Delta made Vp550p is no competition ... vp550p is far better than VS

Delta is famous for this..
Please Research more on badcaps.net

Also, please do not denote VS or VP as "crappy" ones. The local PSU's which come with local cabinets are actually crappy ones. If you go through the review of VS/VP PSU's, you will find that their performance is really really good (consistent power output, very well suppressed voltage ripple etc.). The only problem reviewers find are local chinese/japenese capacitors, which usually don't last long. But it shouldn't be a problem for budget users who aren't using power hungry systems or don't have much electricity problems at their home.

Crappy in comparison to other branded PSU , Even Corsair lists VS series as a PSU for home/office Systems with low power requirements.. They are not meant to be used with >75W Gaming cards .. ( talking generally, not talking about this thread/ OP's requirements )

They ARE crappy for that purpose

Performance on day 1 is not the problem... Chinese caps will perform same as Japanese caps on day 1.. .. The performance of these on day 1 is great .. it is what happens slowly after 2-3 years .. Some PSU don't just simply die , after 2 or 3 years or so they may be functioning alright , but outputting an out of spec ripple.. and you will not know about it because you can't test it..

Plus if you stay in hot areas like new delhi etc with No A/c .. where temp reaches 45c in summers.. The Capxons are going to be even stressed more ..

like i said before , they are alright for 3 years or so , if budget is the problem then go with it and replace it after 3 years ..

you pay less now , you'll be replacing it sooner , you pay more you'll not be replacing for a long time .

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
All the 12v caps are Japanese , ( you PC mostly runs on 12v output ) ..

and Delta is great at using LTEC caps .. Delta designs it's PSU in a way where they are able to make Ltec Caps last long ....

VS vs Delta made Vp550p is no competition ... vp550p is far better than VS

Delta is famous for this..
Please Research more on badcaps.net

Crappy in comparison to other branded PSU , Even Corsair lists VS series as a PSU for home/office Systems with low power requirements.. They are not meant to be used with >75W Gaming cards .. ( talking generally, not talking about this thread/ OP's requirements )

They ARE crappy for that purpose

Performance on day 1 is not the problem... Chinese caps will perform same as Japanese caps on day 1.. .. The performance of these on day 1 is great .. it is what happens slowly after 2-3 years .. Some PSU don't just simply die , after 2 or 3 years or so they may be functioning alright , but outputting an out of spec ripple.. and you will not know about it because you can't test it..

Plus if you stay in hot areas like new delhi etc with No A/c .. where temp reaches 45c in summers.. The Capxons are going to be even stressed more ..

like i said before , they are alright for 3 years or so , if budget is the problem then go with it and replace it after 3 years ..

you pay less now , you'll be replacing it sooner , you pay more you'll not be replacing for a long time .

Thank you for the detailed explanation, it was informative to me.
Does it mean that VP550p stands apart from its lower power models (VP450p etc.) in terms of quality?

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Thank you for the detailed explanation, it was informative to me.
Does it mean that VP550p stands apart from its lower power models (VP450p etc.) in terms of quality?

Yes VP550P and VP650P both are different and of much higher quality Than VP450P, VP500PC and VP600P

VP450P , VP500PC and VP600P are on same quality level as Corsair VS/CX ..

all this info is about old VS series ..

The newer VS series is good , better than VP450P ..

Last edited:
OP
Sarang\m/

Sarang\m/

Journeyman
Sorry I was away for a while. Gaming is not required at this point at all but all the applications need to open fast and smooth. The computer needs to be able to upgrade the GPu later on so I guess he'll have to go with i5 or i7 processor. SSD is preferred. He hasn't told me about what kind of development but he just said he will be tinkering with linux kernels, docker and booting multiple OS as well as playing media. He is a heavy media user and wants the experience to be smooth. Alternate builds with a bit more budget will also do but Graphic card is not required as I do not think that his requirements will require graphic card at all

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
@bssunilreddy would be great if you could suggest intel build under 40-45k (I guess i7 7700 can be considered within this budget without GC?)
Budget -53.3K

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700 -23000,
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz 8GB -4500,
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB -3500,
Monitor: LG 22MP68VQ 22" LED IPS -9000,
KB/Mouse: Logitech MK200 -800.
TOTAL -53,300.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Budget -53.3K

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700 -23000,
Monitor: LG 22MP68VQ 22" LED IPS -9000,
KB/Mouse: Logitech MK200 -800.
TOTAL -53,300.

OP already has a monitor. i7 7700 is overkill for OP's needs.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
OP already has a monitor. i7 7700 is overkill for OP's needs.
Budget -47.5K

CPU: Intel Core i5 7500 -15000,
Mobo: Asus H270-K -8000,
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520w -5500,
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB -7500.
TOTAL -47,500.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry I was away for a while. Gaming is not required at this point at all but all the applications need to open fast and smooth. The computer needs to be able to upgrade the GPu later on so I guess he'll have to go with i5 or i7 processor. SSD is preferred. He hasn't told me about what kind of development but he just said he will be tinkering with linux kernels, docker and booting multiple OS as well as playing media. He is a heavy media user and wants the experience to be smooth. Alternate builds with a bit more budget will also do but Graphic card is not required as I do not think that his requirements will require graphic card at all

If the usage is some sort of ROM, kernel building , compiling frequently then the more cores you have the better ..
In that case Ryzen 1600
IT would be better if you ask him , just to be sure..

Otherwise if it is light-medium development, and more media centric.. Go with i5 7500 .. Don't go with any 6th gen processor..

7th gen has full hardware support for 10bit 4k HEVC/H.265 ( Bluray/Netflix ) and VP 9 ( Youtube ) but VP9 only for decode/playback .. do you want to encode 10bit VP9 ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom