Boot problem

doomgiver

Warframe
just like that!!! its the name of a specialized star destroyer in a game.
Doomgiver - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki
*www.galactic-voyage.com/Dark Side-Capital Ships-Doomgiver.htm
it just looked so badass coming out from behind that asteroid

nice wallpaper.

OP
Anish

Anish

Spectre
Hello again dude,

Now I am done with ubuntu and have installed opensuse 11.4 + KDE
There is no actually any problem...
But the boot pattern is weired!!

First when I boot the suse boot loader appears showing 5 options
1.opensuse
2.windows 1
3.windows 2
4.windows 3
5.opensuse fail safe

Now, going into windows 1 works and brings the windows boot menu with old grub and windows selections i've made using easybcd after installing ubuntu. Selecting windows boots into windows. but selecting grub (I've named ubuntu as grub with easybcd) i get a terminal with something like this...
grub>

is this ok?

while installing suse, i disabled use of MBR and enabled use of grub boot loader (feared whether it meant to destroy contents of MBR)

I fixed the above problem easily using easy bcd by rewriting mbr and adding suse to boot menu..
But for now i have 2 queries to be answered....

1. windows boot loader is restored and now, entering suse again gives the same options as above... is there any way to get rid of that windows 1,2 and 3?

2. Previously (before installin suse) my hdd mode in BIOS is set to "compatibility" but now, its set to "ACHI" and only setting to ACHI lets it boot into windows... to be breif...

Before installing suse:
hdd mode in BIOS:
compatibility - will boot into windows normally
ACHI - will crash with a BSOD

After installing suse:
hdd mode in BIOS:
ACHI - will boot into windows normally
compatibility - will crash with a BSOD

everything is fine.. but its like WTF with the ACHI and compatibility mode issue.. can anyone sort out the problem???

sygeek

Technomancer
Don't understand your situation properly. Can you summarize all of the stuff you've done with the bootloader in 1 post?
Why don't you just remove all the EasyBCD entries and reinstall Grub to MBR. I'm pretty sure it will keep Windows entry for dualboot.

Last edited:
OP
Anish

Anish

Spectre
Don't understand your situation properly. Can you summarize all of the stuff you've done with the bootloader in 1 post?
Why don't you just remove all the EasyBCD entries and reinstall Grub to MBR. I'm pretty sure it will keep Windows entry for dualboot.

I messed up the bootloader and now got it fine and i am happy with windows boot loader
Please do answer for the 2nd question about the achi and compatibility modes

sygeek

Technomancer
^That's vague, dude. Explain how exactly you messed it up in a summarized way and in a single post.

Are you having any problem with *AHCI mode? If you're not, then you can just continue using it, there should be no problem.

Top Bottom