Books/Novels Discussion Thread V1: Literary Gems

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^you really messed up all my free time man
I was really happy reading sci fi books as and when they came out.

Don't read these Tad Williams books. You cannot rush or skip, it's packed to the brim and often reading a chapter over again is more rewarding. They are more fantastic than Tolkein, Moorcock and GRRM.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Currently reading :
Check out this book on Goodreads: No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden by Mark Owen — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Did you guys ever feel the underground alien structures in Dead Space 3 were reminisce of At the Mountains of Madness by Lovercraft ?

There is a whole song named after it, Mountains of Madness.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Finished Stone of Farewell.
This is not epic fantasy where the stories are a small part of a vast, perfect, self consistent chronology. This is not comic fantasy. This is not elfpunk or fantasy with technology. This is not historical fantasy, or social commentary or satire fantasy. This book has fantasy and nothing else. However, ASOIAF and HP, and pretty much every other modern fantasy has traces of this Tad Williams work, as much as Tolkein.

Now onto the third book, half of which is bigger than LOTR.

tkin

Back to school!!
Reading the Dune series. The first novel was great. If anyone here has read it, what do you think of it?
Left the first book halfway when the latest Jack Reacher novel came out, will restart soon.

It's a good book, sort of turning into an epic space opera till halfway, got a nice combination of science fiction and fantasy elements mixed in it, gives off the Star Wars vibe.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
there is a crowdsourced sci fi novel being written right now. Jump in.
*docs.google.com/document/d/16_vGlDZlon_0q37dHmrTlTa_TCaQb6mVL9_8RmBGMwg/edit

TDF should probably try something like this. Anyone up for it?

tkin

Back to school!!
there is a crowdsourced sci fi novel being written right now. Jump in.
*docs.google.com/document/d/16_vGlDZlon_0q37dHmrTlTa_TCaQb6mVL9_8RmBGMwg/edit

TDF should probably try something like this. Anyone up for it?
I'm in.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Finished To Green Angel Tower
the series is a must read, at least last book, is just non stop action. This thing has influenced modern fantasy as much as the Tolkein Legendarium. Harry Potter and ASoIaF have scenes lifted from it. What little good is there in the Inheritance Cycle, is because of this book.

seen so many Dune books, hesitant to get into it because of that, like to read smaller series. But guess at least have to read the first one.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Book :
The girl with all the gifts

Author :
M. R. Carey

Rating :
7/10

Comments :
A very dark take on the zombie genre. Relentless.

*en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_with_All_the_Gifts

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Read Against the Fall of Night, and Beyond the Fall of Night. Hard Sci Fi set billions of years in the future, in an old and dying universe, when there are many varying races of humans.

ankush28

Bazinga
Did anyone join /r/52book challenge?

So far I've finished Effortless reading by Vu Tran. 4.5/5

and here's my list for this year...
Effortless reading, Vu Tran
What if? Randall Munroe
QED, R. Feynman
Thinking fast and slow, Daniel Kahneman
A tale of two cities, Charles Dickens
How to Win Friends and Influence people, Dale Carnegie
The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, Douglas Adams
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Douglas Adams
Life, the Universe and Everything, Douglas Adams
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, Douglas Adams
Mostly Harmless, Douglas Adams
1984, George Orwell
To kill a mockingbird, Harper Lee
2001: space odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke
A short history of nearly everything, Bill Bryson
Astronaut's guide to life in earth, Chris Hadfield
The origin of species, Charles Darwin
Cosmos, Carl Sagan
The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins
Elon Musk: Inventing the Future, Ashlee Vance

Any suggestions are welcome :)

tkin

Back to school!!
Did anyone join /r/52book challenge?

So far I've finished Effortless reading by Vu Tran. 4.5/5

and here's my list for this year...
Effortless reading, Vu Tran
What if? Randall Munroe
QED, R. Feynman
Thinking fast and slow, Daniel Kahneman
A tale of two cities, Charles Dickens
How to Win Friends and Influence people, Dale Carnegie
The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, Douglas Adams
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Douglas Adams
Life, the Universe and Everything, Douglas Adams
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, Douglas Adams
Mostly Harmless, Douglas Adams
1984, George Orwell
To kill a mockingbird, Harper Lee
2001: space odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke
A short history of nearly everything, Bill Bryson
Astronaut's guide to life in earth, Chris Hadfield
The origin of species, Charles Darwin
Cosmos, Carl Sagan
The Selfish Gene, Richard Dawkins
Elon Musk: Inventing the Future, Ashlee Vance

Any suggestions are welcome :)
Its a good list you have there.

Here is mine, listed by Authors:

1. Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country - Joe Abercrombie - Continuation of the First Law trilogy, stories set in the same universe.
2. Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy - Douglas Adams.
3. Honor Among Thieves - Jeffry Archer.
4. Prelude to Foundation - Isaac Asimov.
5. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess.
6. Coma - Robin Cook.
7. Airframe, Binary, Sphere, State of Fear - Michael Crichton - Standalone novels.
8. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K Dick.
9. Malazan Book of The Fallen - Steven Erikson - 10 books in total, will take a massive time, but I read alternately, so hope to finish the series by 2016.
10. The Pillars of Earth - Ken Follett.
11. American Gods, Stardust - Neil Geimann - Standalone novels.
12. The Associate - John Grisham.
13. A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K Le Guin.
14. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller.
15. Dune - Frank Herbert - Legendary series, I want to get into the series by this book, will get the rest when it finishes.
16. The Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan - Read the first 5 books, 9 more to go, will finish this by 2016 for sure. The last three books are written by one of my favorite authors Brandon Sanderson.
17. A Game of Thrones - George R R Martin - Will start with one book, if I like I'll get more.
18. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand - Got as a gift, put it into queue for now.
19 . Master of the Game - Sydney Sheldon.
20. The Lord of The Rings, Hobbit and Silmarillion - J R R Tolkien - One of my targets to finish by 2016. Due to the quality of the language used these books require utmost concentration to read, need a clear mind and focus. Maybe I'll get the paperbacks of these books as I can focus easily.
21. About 10 books from Jules Verne - Free form Project Gutenberg, put at the back of queue for now as I have read all the books translated in Bengali.
22. The Book Thief - Markus Zusuk.

Current status:

I just finished reading Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. It was an awesome book, felt like Arthur C Clarke all over again. Hardcore sci fi at its best, feels even better to read if you had Physics in the +2 level, otherwise you have to use wikipedia at times. But you will gain a lot of knowledge from this book.

Right now I am reading two books side by side.

One is The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, a nice approach to a dystopian earth which deals with food shortage and genetic engineering. Its very unique and really feels like a breath of fresh air.

The second book is the Mistborn - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. This is actually a re- read as I just found out that he is building a massive epic backstory across all his books in a shared universe like Marvel does. Its subtle but became apparent in his Stormlight Archive series. Now he is the only Author I know who has done/is doing this in his books. So I am reading all his books from the start and connecting the dots. Read Elantris first followed by The Emperor's Soul(Novella). Now reading the first Mistborn book, will finish the series by next two weeks.
This shared universe will spread across 30+ books all seperate trilogies but sharing some common concepts.

The Cosmere is the greater universe in which The Stormlight Archive and all other Brandon Sanderson's adult fiction books take place. That is, each book he writes is set on a unique world, and each of these worlds is set in the same Cosmere. All of the books share a single creation myth, a single cosmology and are connected by an overarching story. However, none of them dominate the storyline of any of the books.

I suggest you guys to try one of his books, he is one of my favorite authors who are writing modern rule based fantasy(i.e no hocus pocus spells like Harry Potter, but the magic systems are based on rules with drawbacks and limits).

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
The second book is the Mistborn - The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.
I suggest you guys to try one of his books, he is one of my favorite authors who are writing modern rule based fantasy(i.e no hocus pocus spells like Harry Potter, but the magic systems are based on rules with drawbacks and limits).

Highly recommending this suggestion. Sanderson is also my favourite author by far!
I have listened to his audiobooks produced by 'graphic audio' -
elantris
warbreaker
mistborn - 1-3

I strongly recommend listening to the graphicaudio versions! They are expensive but available on *ahem* sources.

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Has anyone read this book?

Check out this book on Goodreads: India After Gandhi: The History Of The World's Largest Democracy India After Gandhi: The History Of The World's Largest Democracy by Ramachandra Guha — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Top Bottom