Android app development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
How come you hate Java. Its a wonderful thing. Its true it has its disadvantages, but its really awesome as well.
BTW how is xamarin? Microsoft trying to promote it a lot, created a bit of buzz in my company.

Well, it's personal. One needs to write too much code for even a simple "Hello World!" and that's what I hate. Also non-existence of a good IDE with code completion, code hinting etc. is also a main reason. If one would have been there, I wouldn't mind developing with Java. Yeah I know very much about Eclipse, Net Beans etc. but it doesn't even come any closer to VS and it's features.

You see, a C# code and a Java code for 'Hello World" is almost same, and almost same number of lines of codes. But C# developers never realizes it, because of the automatic namespace import statement, namespace declaration statement, class declaration, main declaration statement. Only he needs to write is Console.WriteLine("Hello World!"); but in java only writing System.Out.Println("Hello World!"); won't work.

And as I said, other things like code completion, code hinting etc. all those VS features matters me a lot. And VS looks much cool to me :p

But max of the time C# and .NET is never considered for Open Source development. So I try my ways out to be involved into Open Source. :)

NOTE : Java developers don't take this thing as harsh, as I said in the very beginning, it's personal. :)

I dont think any android app developed with other languages will be as powerfull as by Java.

That I don't know, and don't intend to be a Android Developer only because of this Java.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
And besides, keep visiting XDA. They always have some news

[Random] Beginner’s Guide to the Android Debug Bridge

Another great resource for newcomers is this guy called TheNewBoston, you can go through the entire playlist

This is the first lesson
[YOUTUBE]SUOWNXGRc6g[/YOUTUBE]

And oh, btw he also has a Java Tutorial lined up for you

abhidev

Human Spambot
I have just started learning Android app development...and the xml based UI development of android can be sometimes a pain in the neck but the concept is kind of similar to css.

If you have app that has heavy animations and data layers then going the native way is a good idea else you have many 3rd party frameworks that are good enough but cannot go head on with native app in performance.

Moreover you can go with a hybrid app approach...where you'll have some parts of the app web based and some native based on the requirements.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Right for heave applications Phonegap type thing is not at all recommended. Native is the way to go.

Also Android's XML based design is similar to Silverlight / WPF's XAML approach. I didn't find any problems with it.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Right for heave applications Phonegap type thing is not at all recommended. Native is the way to go.

Also Android's XML based design is similar to Silverlight / WPF's XAML approach. I didn't find any problems with it.

yes its easy to understand but sometimes it doesn't behave the way it is supposed to be...

Like now I have a textview where i need to have rounded corners on both sides. For this I have used a linear layout and everything is working fine except the left rounded corner is not taking up the intended full asset width. :(

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^ C# - via Xamarin. Though read the comments about Xamarin above. It's still can't be considered for mainstream development.

kaz

right here
I started learning when I was in B.Tech 2year with video tuts provided on Digit's DVD....Learned some basics and made a calculator with a splash screen and musics :p And it ended there....
Have heard about appcelerator which uses javascripts, but cross platform development tools are not that effective plus support is also poor....

aditiaggarwal

Right off the assembly line
Learn the basics of Android and Java programming. This class is designed for students who are new to programming and want to build Android apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom