SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
In order to make my PC future games ready, What GPU do I need to add now.

I am thinking of either GTX1060 3GB or RX570 4GB.

I might add another 8GB Ram with a FreeSync Monitor from LG which is 22MP68VQ.

I think so these upgrades are sufficient for another 3 years.

PS: I am still using GTX950 and a old LCD Monitor.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

GTX 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB. More the VRAM, the better for 1080p ultra.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Don't upgrade anything this year if you don't absolutely need it right now... upgrade it next year ..

Zen 2 .. along with the new midrange Rx 670/680 series ( Vega based most probably) ..
with maybe a budget "Freesync 2" monitor and then you are set for next 3 years

Zen 2 will match intel's IPC .. so the difference with intel will remain purely based on clocks and zen 2 should be able to clock to 4.5 ghz..

plus RAM and SSD prices are at it's highest now .. they'll come down fast next year..

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Since my bro has taken his 1060 away from me, I've been using 660GTX 2GB these days as I am waiting for the release of Vega. Even 660 is like...4 years old...still I am able to game latest titles without any problems at 1080p (medium settings)
So, I don't think 950 would be having problems in running even the latest games. The best option is to wait for now.
PS: 1060 3GB or RX570 4GB definitely not going to survive for next 3 years, when your requirement is to run games at ultra.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Ryzen mobile will come with on-die Vega graphics AMD Ryzen Mobile APU's Will Feature On-Die Vega Graphics - 40 Percent Boost - Legit Reviews

But performance doesn't seem impressive. If this is what much anticipated Vega can bring to the table, I don't know. Many gonna be disappointed. or am I missing something?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Intel has launched its HEDT lineup and will be available in two weeks (I guess) and with big price cut.
New octa core i7 costs just $599 which is just $100 more than AMD's. Intel's performance will very well justify the price difference. I highly doubt AMD will lower the price any further.

Intel's 16 core is priced at $1700 and many taking a guess that AMD will launch its top of the line 16-core chip @ $850 (50% of Intel's, like they did with 1800X vs 6900K). I don't think it will happen again this time. Intel has cut it's premium to a great extent and I doubt AMD can afford to price 16 core @ $849. My guess is around ~$1300. Will see...

AMD's HEDT lineup is not coming anytime soon. They simply said "this summer", so it will upto 3 months from now.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel has cut it's premium to a great extent and I doubt AMD can afford to price 16 core @ $849. My guess is around ~$1300. Will see...
Now this is going to surprise you. AMD Ryzen 14nm Wafer Yields Pass 80% - Threadripper CPUs on track

If this 80% is true, I doubt even Intel is getting that despite their process being more mature!

Reactions: nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If this is what much anticipated Vega can bring to the table, I don't know. Many gonna be disappointed. or am I missing something?
I think it's kinda making sense now. Hoping the "rumour" becomes true. :Fingerx:
Now this is going to surprise you. AMD Ryzen 14nm Wafer Yields Pass 80% - Threadripper CPUs on track
If this 80% is true, I doubt even Intel is getting that despite their process being more mature!
Will see if AMD can slash price of their chips.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I said earlier, Ryzen will gain performance in games as they get optimised.

Ryzen Game Perf Increases With New Rise of the Tomb Raider patch

Ryzen gaining 10% in 1080p.

I mean reviewers need to use their brain. We have a chip that is performing great in all productivity benchmarks, core to core and clock to clock. And suddenly in one or two games, the performance is really low and not upto the mark. OHH THIS IS BECAUSE OF LOW IPC. No idiots, that particular game isn't optimised for this architecture.

I mean, at least look at the CPU utilisation before claiming there's a performance bottleneck. Many reviewers did a shambolic job on the launch day.

Soundararajan

Right off the assembly line
Just read somewhere that Ryzen processors would be Future proof for some 2-3 years.
But when checked the Socket Type of Threadripper, it's a new model as TR4 and not AM4.
So which is better to go for ?

Is going for AM4 a good option or wait till TR4 (Currently in AM2, planning for a whole new CPU setup after a while)?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Just read somewhere that Ryzen processors would be Future proof for some 2-3 years.
But when checked the Socket Type of Threadripper, it's a new model as TR4 and not AM4.

Is going for AM4 a good option or wait till TR4 (Currently in AM2, planning for a whole new CPU setup after a while)?
If you have the budget and need for TR (more than 8 cores and 16 threads), go for it.
Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 CPUs are more than enough for mainstream gaming, game streaming and video editing use.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

AM4 is mainstream. 8 cores and Dual Channel RAM.

TR4 is Professional/Server. 16 cores and Quad Channel RAM.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another "Rise of the Tomb Raider" patch? Or is it the same old one?

AMD Ryzen Users Reap Huge Performance Benefits With ROTR And ZBrush Updates | HotHardware

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
AMD accidentally reveals Ryzen 3 1300 and 1200 details
Source:AMD accidentally reveals Ryzen 3 1300 and 1200 details | CPU & Mainboard | OC3D News

*s2.postimg.org/w0ol129u1/screenshot-www.tomshardware.com-2017-07-02-23-28.png

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
AMD's Threadripper lineup launches in August starting at $799, Ryzen 3 in July,27th

AMD is readying a Ryzen 3 release to complete its mainstream desktop lineup, and for enthusiasts, Threadripper is right around the corner as well. Both are set to debut within the next couple of months, with AMD today announcing release time frames for Ryzen 3 and Threadripper, and pricing information for the latter.

Starting at the top, Threaderipper is headed to the high-end desktop (HEDT) market before the end of summer. While AMD did not share an exact release date, the company did say that Threadripper will be on store shelves in early August, which we take to mean within the first two weeks.

There will be two SKUs to choose from:

• Ryzen Threadripper 1950X: 16 cores, 32 threads, 3.4GHz-4GHz—$999
  • Ryzen Threadripper 1920X: 12 cores, 24 threads, 3.5GHz-4GHz—$799
As you can see, clock speeds will generally be the same, with the 1920X having a 100MHz faster boost clock and the same 4GHz Turbo speed. That should make it perform slightly better in programs that are not heavily threaded or otherwise do a poor job of utilizing multiple cores and threads, though the added cores and threads of the 1950X will more than make up for the base clock speeds difference in programs that do tap into available cores and threads.

The 1920X is no slouch in multi-threaded applications, either. In the same benchmark, the 1920X scored 2,431 points, outpacing an Intel Core i9-7900X that scored 2,167 points. That bodes well for AMD, no matter how much shade Intel tries to throw on the competition.

A couple of notes here before we move on. One is the price point. With the cost of entry set at $799, AMD is undercutting Intel's Core i9 stack, which starts at $999. However, AMD is missing an opportunity here to render Intel's entire HEDT lineup virtually irrelevant—Core i7 Kaby Lake-X processors can be had for a few hundred bucks.

That said, the pricing makes sense from a business perspective. These are big boy/girl CPUs we are talking about here, and if you want a generous allotment of PCI Express lanes to play with, you have to step up to Threadripper (64 PCIe lanes starting at $799) or Skylake-X (44 PCIe lanes starting at $999). AMD also avoids cannibalizing it's Ryzen 7 family.

Our own Jarred Walton also deserves kudos for correctly surmising that sites supposedly 'leaking' 14-core and 10-core models were guessing rather than using any concrete information. Jarred noted that to do a 10-core chip, AMD would have to use an asymmetrical CCX configuration (3 cores on two, 2 cores on two for a 10-core chip, or 4 cores on two and 3 cores on two for a 14-core).

Finally, in addition to featuring 64 PCIe lanes, Ryzen Threaderipper will use a new socket (dubbed TR4) and support dual-channel DDR4 memory.

AMD also announced specs and availability for its upcoming Ryzen 3 family. Ryzen 3 will land on store shelves two weeks from today (July 27) with the following models:

• Ryzen 3 1300X: 4 cores, 4 threads, 3.5GHz-3.7GHz
  • Ryzen 3 1200: 4 cores, 4 threads, 3.1GHz-3.4GHz
AMD did not announce pricing information for Ryzen 3, though as a point of reference, the least expensive Ryzen 5 processor (Ryzen 5 1600) sells for around $220.

Source:AMD's Threadripper lineup launches in August starting at $799, Ryzen 3 in July | PC Gamer

Top Bottom