OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD CPUs are finally competitive again

i5-2500K was great because nothing happened for years. You can't predict whether some performance improvements will happen or not in coming years with each new CPU gen. Intel isn't going to sit idle now. So Ryzen 5 isn't i5-2500K yet.

I don't think Intel was sitting idle all these years.

Darth Vader

In the zone
AMD CPUs are finally competitive again

i5-2500K was great because nothing happened for years. You can't predict whether some performance improvements will happen or not in coming years with each new CPU gen. Intel isn't going to sit idle now. So Ryzen 5 isn't i5-2500K yet.
This.

I don't think Intel was sitting idle all these years.
Intel had no competition until now. Wait for AMD & Partners to fix the Ryzen issue and Intel's response before claiming anything.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Intel had no competition until now. Wait for AMD & Partners to fix the Ryzen issue and Intel's response before claiming anything.

You seriously think Intel was sitting idle all these years?

Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge -> Haswell -> Broadwell -> Skylake -> Kaby Lake

For virtually no competition, they have really worked hard. For a company sitting idle, they released what they call six generation of products.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Intel i5 2500 is legendary because of its longevity at an affordable price. Intel has released better processors every generation after that but in practical scenario i5 2500k continues being good enough.

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
As per the roadmap ..

2017 - Kabylake

2018 - Coffeelake .. Which is kabylake on 14nm ++ with more cores ( just like Skylake to kabylake )

2019 - Cannon lake - ( desktop ) - Coffeelake die shrink on 10nm ..

2020 - Icelake ( the next architecture change )

Don't expect anything big before Icelake launches .. Even then it isn't expected by many tech people to be something like sandybridge ..

The thing is they have been slow , probably because the "Core" is reaching it's limits , it's already way optimized ...

Intel is now focusing on a new different architecture

Intel is reportedly working on a new x86 architecture | CPU & Mainboard | OC3D New

AMD on the other hand , is brand new with it's architecture with way more room for improvement.. and have already said

We’re not going tick-tock,” Papermaster said. “Zen is going to be tock, tock, tock.”

AMD declares Ryzen will be a four-year architecture, details overclocking plans, emphasizes hard launch - ExtremeTec

Competition is going to be neck to neck in the next few years ..

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Something big already happened. Kaby Lake Pentium has hyperthreading.

Bro i was talking about IPC and single thread performance.. next year intel will give you more cores as well.. mainstream i7 will be 6c /12t this is more or less confirmed from leaked slides..

i3 - 4C/4T .. i5 - 4C/8T are expected aswell but not confirmed till yet

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
What does that mean in layman language? Does it mean advantage over Ryzen?

HyperThreading(HT) is Intel's term for simulating 2 or more threads on a single core which results in improved performance. AMD FX lineup had clustered multithreading(CMT) and Ryzen has simultaneous multithreading(SMT).

The Core Pentium series has been only 2C/2T since first gen(2010). They just added HT to it just before launch of Ryzen. They are probably also going to update i3,i5 and i7 in the next gen lineup with 4C/4T, 4C/8T, 6C/12T. Big difference since 2010.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
What issues are in Ryzen dear?
There are no issues except may be RAM compatibility.

And some games need to be patched for better performance on Ryzen. But these are issues with games, not with Ryzen. Example, Ashes of the Singularity was quickly patched for better performance. More game patches to come.

*oi68.tinypic.com/2nu4vgn.jpg

If anyone wants to buy a processor for ~₹15000 today, it has to be Ryzen 5 1600. 6 cores, 12 threads.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Some people will still end up buying Intel at that price range. But cores matter a lot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

billubakra

Conversation Architect
There are no issues except may be RAM compatibility.

And some games need to be patched for better performance on Ryzen. But these are issues with games, not with Ryzen. Example, Ashes of the Singularity was quickly patched for better performance. More game patches to come.

*oi68.tinypic.com/2nu4vgn.jpg

If anyone wants to buy a processor for ~₹15000 today, it has to be Ryzen 5 1600. 6 cores, 12 threads.
So patches of games will and should be there. What about the ram issues? Will there be any fixes for the same in future? By fixes I mean driver updates etc.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The reviewers need to stop benchmarking Ashes of the Singularity and should benchmark Dota 2 instead. The player count you see for AOTS on Steam is from benchmarkers themselves :lol:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The reviewers need to stop benchmarking Ashes of the Singularity and should benchmark Dota 2 instead. The player count you see for AOTS on Steam is from benchmarkers themselves :lol:

Ashes of Singularity primarily is CPU bound rather DOTA 2 which is an MMO. You cannot use an MMO for benchmarking buddy.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Ashes of Singularity primarily is CPU bound rather DOTA 2 which is an MMO. You cannot use an MMO for benchmarking buddy.

DoTA 2 isnt an MMO.
MMO's have fairly good CPU requirements, because of huge number of players. The reason why we cant use MMO for benchmarking is because it isnt consistent.
DoTA 2 is a CPU heavy game.
Benchmarking DoTA 2 will yield a good result as majority of viewers play it. Also benchmarking the load on livestreaming DoTA 2 is another good test case.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Ryzen Effect

- Intel Will launch 8th generation/Coffelake i3/i5/i7 K series Processors in August 2017 instead of january 2018
- Coffelake will use the same socket 1151
- as expected i7 will be 6c /12T
- New chipset will have integrated Wifi and USb 3.1 gen 2 support
- Non K CPU's in Q4 2017 or january 2018
- There will also be a H310 chipset this time ...

Intel to unveil Basin Falls, launch Coffee Lake ahead of schedul
整合 USB 3.1 Gen 2 與 Gigabit Wi-Fi,Intel 300 系列晶片有點看頭 – BenchLif

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Based on Passmark benchmark scores, CPU performance comparo...

*www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2017/04/29/ryzen.png

Top Bottom