Wise Old Owl
Re: Will AMD Ryzen live up to the hype?

Reviews are out.

Great workstation performance.
Not so great gaming performance.

mvk3772

Broken In

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Buyer Gets Early Delivery, Benchmarks It & Publishes The Result

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

ZTR

Cyborg Agent

Reviews are out.

Great workstation performance.
Not so great gaming performance.
Gaming seems to be variable as Joker got his 1700 @3.9Ghz match 7700k @5 GHz

*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170302/3804a2b084ba78b4117930c2565d9822.jpg
Ryzen 1700 vs i7 7700K REVIEW | Best CPU Under $350? - YouTub
Could be because of bios, firmware issues because that result is great

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not buying into "4 cores are enough" in 2016.

Gaming performance leaves much to be desired, but what I want to see is how new games will perform.

Otherwise a great chip. Very power efficient, and better than i7-6900K [8 cores] in many benchmarks.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Ryzen not yet optimised for all kinds of software as it needs time to mature. Then we can think of changing the chipset.

Until then Kabylake is the way to go.

Number of cores are more than Intel but there aren't many applications or games that use multiple cores.

What is the main problem with AMD GPUs are they don't offer what Nvidia is offering.

But AMD CPU or GPU support with better drivers for a long term than Intel or Nvidia.

Sent from my Lenovo K6 Power using Tapatalk

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Since it's a new architecture some microcode optimization might be needed. Hopefully that happens before the release of R5.
i5 vs R5 should be interesting.

Games are not utilising multi core CPUs. This is going to change now.

That has been said since the release of the FX lineup. By the time games do actually use multiple cores efficiently, Intel would have released CPUs with more cores.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
That has been said since the release of the FX lineup. By the time games do actually use multiple cores efficiently, Intel would have released CPUs with more cores.

BF1 already does

Just see this *uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/92406468c93f2607ffe41eb21c24010a.jpg

Minion

Conversation Architect
Number of cores are more than Intel but there aren't many applications or games that use multiple cores.

No,This was true 2 years ago but now most games make use of multiple cores also Ryzen is more efficient than Intel anyway and cheaper too so there no reason not to go with Ryzen.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
BF1 already does

Just see this *uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/92406468c93f2607ffe41eb21c24010a.jpg

Is that really efficient though? Just distributing the tasks and having around 50% utilization isn't optimization. It actually says that it doesn't need more cores. And i7 has the better minimum and average framerates. Besides i would like to see a game that hasn't partnered with hardware companies making use of multiple cores say games like Dark Souls III. That would be something.

*www.techspot.com/articles-info/1345/bench/Battlefield.png

mobo

Broken In
We have been saying for the past 5 years how dual cores are useless but the dual cores on steroids still manage to muscle ahead of vegan quad cores. Games don't really require an i7 unless they perform twice as fast on 4C/8T compared to 2C/4T.

Processors and OSes are designed to distribute load on multiple cores, and even a single thread will actually be running on all 8 cores of an octa core, albiet at a much lower load per core.

Game developers are smart enough to not alienate the mainstream of 4T or 4C gamers by making 8T a necessity, but if Ryzens are affordable then I guess the future is indeed multi-threaded.

Hail Ryzen!

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Since it's a new architecture some microcode optimization might be needed. Hopefully that happens before the release of R5.
i5 vs R5 should be interesting.

Consoles have 8 cores now. So the core utilization situation will change a lot faster this time.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Anomaly

*media.bestofmicro.com/ext/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8wLzEvNjU5NjY1L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDQ4LnBuZw==/r_600x450.png

Top Bottom