Am I at the risk of losing my mobile number?

sntshkmr60

Broken In
I'm studying in Delhi, originally from Patna. I wanted to port my Vodafone number to Jio. I could do in Delhi because they ask for a local Aadhaar for eKYC.

I was literally forced to do a national MNP and take the SIM to Delhi. But the situation is, I've put the porting request and porting date is of 2nd March. I'm leaving today for Delhi in the evening.

I'm scared if my SIM will ever get activated inspite of not being in home circle. Do you guys have been in any similar situation like this one?

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
One of my relatives idea no got disconnected. He couldn't port within that porting time. He lost his no.
But you can ask for help from previous operator (Vodafone) if something happens.
Why port to Jio?? Buy new SIM instead of that. Nos are system generated.
Then think of porting both SIMs.

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
I'm studying in Delhi, originally from Patna. I wanted to port my Vodafone number to Jio. I could do in Delhi because they ask for a local Aadhaar for eKYC.

I was literally forced to do a national MNP and take the SIM to Delhi. But the situation is, I've put the porting request and porting date is of 2nd March. I'm leaving today for Delhi in the evening.

I'm scared if my SIM will ever get activated inspite of not being in home circle. Do you guys have been in any similar situation like this one?

Well it will get activated but the local area will be delhi now. Not patna.

billubakra

Conversation Architect

Sorry for bumping an old thread. What happened in your situation? An operator cannot disable a number under the circumstances which you have mentioned.

Sarvesh

Journeyman
If porting fails or porting code is not utilized the number remains active. Original SIM will only deactivate when the porting to other operator is completed successfully.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
^ my brothers sim card got inactive after porting period.
TRAI should increase time limit for porting.
Now bank account number can be ported.

Sarvesh

Journeyman
^ my brothers sim card got inactive after porting period.
TRAI should increase time limit for porting.
Last month my elder brother tried to port his number (national mnp) which did not happen and his old Sim is still active. No operator can deactivate your number if porting fails or not utilized.
Old Sim will only get deactivated after successful porting and you should contact your new operator if the new Sim doesn't get activated or report to Trai.
Now bank account number can be ported.
Yes there is a proposal but seems difficult because usually in India, mostly in Public Sector Banks, the account numbers follow branch code (5 digit) + account number (11 digits) pattern. In Banks like ICICI and HDFC however it can range from 11 to 16 digits. HDFC bank account numbers are of 14 digits and ICICI is of 12.
So after porting account lot of online transactions may transfer or credit amount in wrong accounts whereas in case of mobile getting connected to a wrong number is not so disastrous.
Further there is no need to keep / benefit of keeping the account number same for any individual.

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
Yes there is a proposal but seems difficult because usually in India, mostly in Public Sector Banks, the account numbers follow branch code (5 digit) + account number (11 digits) pattern. In Banks like ICICI and HDFC however it can range from 11 to 16 digits. HDFC bank account numbers are of 14 digits and ICICI is of 12.
So after porting account lot of online transactions may transfer or credit amount in wrong accounts whereas in case of mobile getting connected to a wrong number is not so disastrous.
Further there is no need to keep / benefit of keeping the account number same for any individual.

:agreed:

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Last month my elder brother tried to port his number (national mnp) which did not happen and his old Sim is still active. No operator can deactivate your number if porting fails or not utilized.
Old Sim will only get deactivated after successful porting and you should contact your new operator if the new Sim doesn't get activated or report to Trai.

May be these are new revamped rules..
Because "Idea" did this 4-5 years back.

Top Bottom