All Vista interface and features queries here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Guys this is my first thread from vista,It is a nice OS to use.But I have many things to do(install devices,drivers,basic softwares,av etc.)and in all this mess I don't know some of the basic tools' location.So I am creating this thread keeping in mind the problems we may face while working on the new interface of vista.

In the boot menu,Win xp is shown as "Earlier version of windows"(disgracing:D)
I wanna change it,but I cant find boot.ini in vista.
Also how we can access bootcfg in vista.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Re: All Vista queries here

It is not possible to have a thread separate for Vista. That means all the queries will end up here!

shantanu

Technomancer
there is no boot.ini in windows vista. there is a boot loader in it,

go to c:\ and look at windows xp boot.ini , see the last line and you will see a file name written on it. open that file to edit it and i think the location would be c:\windows\system32 ,, edit that and change the name

B

brutality9k

a very essential tool for Windows Vista is, Vista boot pro. Using this you can configure the bootloader of Windows Vista, like changing the names of the OS entry, backup up the Vista boot laoder

Also visit these threads for a lot of Vista user interface tweaks & enhancement

Vista RTM: User guide

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah open that file in Vista then.. but officially you cant do it,, Editing it is the only option.. whether from sys file editor or Reg hack... anything like that.. but that seemed me the least threatning way :D :D :D :D

and how are you :D :D

OP
Arsenal_Gunners

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
I access the boot.ini in xp in startup and recovery which I couldn't find in vista
also the search for boot.ini didn't brought any results.(Sorry for n00bness:D)
Waiting for vishal to join the party.:D

B

brutality9k

@ vimal

yo, just use Vistaboot pro, u can rename using that safely from within Windows Vista

OP
Arsenal_Gunners

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
^^Thats a 3rd party software isnt it?I don't wanna use 3rd party software :D
Thanks for help though.I will use it if I am unable to configure from vista's inbuilt tools.

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
vimal_mehrotra said:
One more question,Is the windows defender good enough or I should install Spybot and Adaware.

Windows Defender has got real-time scanner and is very good in detection rates. By any means, single AntiSpyware isn't enough! Use both Windows Defender and SpyBot. Turn off Spybot tea timer. Scan entire PC using Spybot once in 3 or 4 days & you will be safe. :)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
1.) Use bdcedit command to edit the boot-loader entries.

bcdedit -set Entry_name DESCRIPTION "desired_name"

2.) Windows Defender is good and sufficient. In fact I'm using it in XP also.

OP
Arsenal_Gunners

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Suppose I have
1.Earlier version of windows
2.Ms win vista

so,exactly what I should write in that bcdedit command to change the name "Earlier version of windows" to "Ms win xp"

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
1.) Give bcdedit command in command prompt.
2.) It'll show u the existing entries with their description and other options.
3.) Now look for the entry having label Earlier version of windows, its name should be like {legacy} or something like that. (I can't remember).
4.) Now u hv to give the command, which I mentioned.

bcdedit -set {legacy} DESCRIPTION "Windows XP"

It'll be better if u post the result of bcdedit command here. ;)

OP
Arsenal_Gunners

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
^^Yeah you are right.It was under the name of Windows legacy os driver,so I applied your command,It worked;-)thanks

One more thing,Windows vista MCE is not able to find my TV tuner though I have installed all the drivers and it is working through its own pvr software.
I have tech-com internal tv tuner card.

shantanu

Technomancer
recently installed Windows vista (single means not dual boote with any other) and office ultimate 07.. man both are mind blowing... but as for Office 2007 ultimate its a big leap forward from 03 version

but it is taking 66000k memory for winword.exe it shows in TASK MANAGER
WOOPES..

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
hey buddy i am talking about OFFICE 2007 not 2003...... :D :D :D and which version of Win vista are you using....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom